Iraqi troops suffer mass slaughter one mile from Baghdad: the general ISIS Chat thread

kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in The Social Lounge
http://www.businessinsider.com/isis-is-getting-closer-to-baghdad-2014-9

ISIS Seems To Be Getting Closer And Closer To Baghdad

The Islamic State group is allegedly closing in on Baghdad, according to a report from a vicar at Iraq's only Anglican church who says the jihadists formerly known as ISIS are roughly one mile away from the Iraqi capital. Airstrikes against ISIS targets were supposed to stop the group from taking Baghdad.

“The Islamic State are now less than 2km (1.2 miles) away from entering Baghdad. They said it could never happen and now it almost has,” Canon Andrew White of the Foundation for Relief and Reconciliation in the Middle East, a British-based charity that supports Iraq’s only Anglican church in Baghdad, said on his Facebook page early Monday morning. “Obama says he overestimated what the Iraqi Army could do. Well, you only need to be here a very short while to know they can do very, very little.”

More than 1,000 Iraqi troops were reportedly killed Sunday in clashes with ISIS about 10 miles outside of Baghdad.

The advance by ISIS toward Baghdad shows that the group isn't weakening despite US-led airstrikes in Iraq. ISIS executed 300 Iraqi soldiers last week during its march toward the Iraqi capital and attempted to break into a prison in northern Baghdad.

"This attack is very significant. It is the first infantry-like, complex, and penetrating attack in Baghdad city by ISIS since the fall of Mosul in June of this year," the Washington-based nonprofit Institute for the Study of War wrote on its website, referring to Iraq's second-largest city, which is in the Islamic State's hands. "ISIS likely carried out the attack to release some of the pressure it is facing as a result of the recent US air campaign targeting its positions. The attack also signifies that, despite the heightened defenses of Baghdad in the aftermath of the fall of Mosul, ISIS is still able to carry out attacks in an area where it is unlikely to have active sleeper cells."

Read more: http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-baghdad-march-islamic-state-1-mile-away-iraqi-capital-1696256#ixzz3Ek9K0wVs

Comments

• kingblaze84
    Remember Iraq's American embassy, the largest and most expensive in the world, is in Baghdad. This is crazy
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the technology in the world...how can the air strikes not pinpoint this push occurring?
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    With all the technology in the world...how can the air strikes not pinpoint this push occurring?

I'm saying the same thing to myself....how is it possible ISIS can slaughter 1,000 troops without being in massive formations that could be seen from the sky? Where are these ISIS guys hiding? Either way it shows America has almost zero good intelligence on the ground
  • kingblaze84
    Iraqi Air Force "accidentally" delivers FOOD and WEAPONS to ISIS positions throughout Iraq LOL.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/30/isis-iraqi-air-force_n_5908864.html?cps=gravity

Iraqi Air Force Accidentally Delivers Food And Ammunition To ISIS Militants

WASHINGTON -- Iraqi pilots mistakenly delivered food, water and ammunition to Islamic State militants on a recent mission that was meant to supply their own service members with the supplies, NBC News reported.

"Some pilots, instead of dropping these supplies over the area of the Iraqi army, threw it over the area that is controlled by ISIS fighters,” Hakim Al-Zamili, a member of the Iraqi parliament and a senior security official, told NBC. “Those soldiers were in deadly need of these supplies, but because of the wrong plans of the commanders in the Iraqi army and lack of experience of the pilots, we in a way or another helped ISIS fighters to ? our soldiers."

A brigadier-general in Iraq’s Defense Ministry also confirmed the news to NBC, attributing it to pilots who were "young and new." The incident reportedly occurred on Sept. 19.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Iraqi Air Force "accidentally" delivers FOOD and WEAPONS to ISIS positions throughout Iraq LOL...
    ah, an actual accident is probably most likely. still funny, though

• kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    janklow wrote: »
    Iraqi Air Force "accidentally" delivers FOOD and WEAPONS to ISIS positions throughout Iraq LOL...
    ah, an actual accident is probably most likely. still funny, though

It definitely is. With incompetence like this, it's no wonder ISIS is winning on the ground now.

On the other hand, I wonder if the Iraqi troops made an effort to get those weapons and food back......
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    The news gets worse and worse for America's failing and embarrassing war against ISIS, especially in Iraq. Here's the kicker, the "moderate rebels" Obama and Congress gave weapons and money to ARE NOW TURNING AGAINST US LOL.....Iraq's govt is also admitting it's military WILL NOT beat back ISIS and they want American troops on the ground there

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/us-led-air-war-in-syria-is-off-to-a-difficult-start-with-moderate-rebels-disenchanted/2014/10/10/e0949dfa-4fe9-11e4-aa5e-7153e466a02d_story.html

By Liz Sly October 10 at 8:18 PM

REYHANLI, Turkey — The U.S.-led air war in Syria has gotten off to a rocky start, with even the Syrian rebel groups closest to the United States turning against it, U.S. ally Turkey refusing to contribute and the plight of a beleaguered Kurdish town exposing the limitations of the strategy.

U.S. officials caution that the strikes are just the beginning of a broader strategy that could take years to carry out. But the anger that the attacks have stirred risks undermining the effort, analysts and rebels say.

The U.S. targets have included oil facilities, a granary and an electricity plant under Islamic State control. The damage to those facilities has caused shortages and price hikes across the rebel-held north that are harming ordinary Syrians more than the well-funded militants, residents and activists say.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/11156264/Iraq-asks-for-US-ground-troops-as-Isil-threaten-Baghdad.html
  • janklow
    The news gets worse and worse for America's failing and embarrassing war against ISIS, especially in Iraq. Here's the kicker, the "moderate rebels" Obama and Congress gave weapons and money to ARE NOW TURNING AGAINST US LOL.....Iraq's govt is also admitting it's military WILL NOT beat back ISIS and they want American troops on the ground there
    part in capitals seems like an exaggeration, but this is the result of really, really awkward policy

• kingblaze84
    part in capitals seems like an exaggeration, but this is the result of really, really awkward policy

Perhaps, but that awkward policy of, you know, helping rebels who fight alongside AL-Qaeda front groups like Al-Nusra Front was strange enough on its own. I just hope these so called moderates don't join forces with ISIS out of anger to America.
  • janklow
    Perhaps, but that awkward policy of, you know, helping rebels who fight alongside AL-Qaeda front groups like Al-Nusra Front was strange enough on its own. I just hope these so called moderates don't join forces with ISIS out of anger to America.
    i think the really awkward part of the policy has been the administration trying to have everything both ways

• kingblaze84
    i think the really awkward part of the policy has been the administration trying to have everything both ways

I know, they want to ? terrorists but at the same time, be willing to do business with other terrorists to ? the other terrorists who are trying to ? us. And these same people work with the terrorists we're trying to ? , what is seriously the point of this war then? No wonder the rest of the world is mostly standing by.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    To the people who support the American air strikes (lol), what should America do over there now

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/war-against-isis-us-strategy-in-tatters-as-militants-march-on-9789230.html

Unfortunately for the US, Kobani isn't the only place air strikes are failing to stop Isis. In an offensive in Iraq launched on 2 October but little reported in the outside world, Isis has captured almost all the cities and towns it did not already hold in Anbar province, a vast area in western Iraq that makes up a quarter of the country. It has captured Hit, Kubaisa and Ramadi, the provincial capital, which it had long fought for. Other cities, towns and bases on or close to the Euphrates River west of Baghdad fell in a few days, often after little resistance by the Iraqi Army which showed itself to be as dysfunctional as in the past, even when backed by US air strikes.

In the face of a likely Isis victory at Kobani, senior US officials have been trying to explain away the failure to save the Syrian Kurds in the town, probably Isis's toughest opponents in Syria. "Our focus in Syria is in degrading the capacity of [Isis] at its core to project power, to command itself, to sustain itself, to resource itself," said US Deputy National Security Adviser Tony Blinken, in a typical piece of waffle designed to mask defeat.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    long story short, Iraq wants the US and its allies to fight for them; otherwise, the Iraqi military will either turn, defect, desert, or get shot in the back with no resistance while running away.

Iraq is saying, US forces started this, so you finish it
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let them have it, because if we go back we should own it permenantly.

i say ? iraq
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014

i say ? iraq

Word, let them learn to live with ISIS LOL, America can't even beat the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, and we're supposed to suddenly destroy ISIS haha what a joke. I don't want to risk a single American life for that hell hole, if the people there can't beat them, then we might as well learn to do business with them (just as America does business with the beheading, Shariah loving govt of Saudi Arabia)
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014

i say ? iraq

That's not an option we would run the risk of wars spreading all over the mid-east eventually threatening american interest in the region. In addition these people are religiously motivated to destroy or convert america so leaving them alone would be like letting a wound fester.
  • zombie

i say ? iraq

Word, let them learn to live with ISIS LOL, America can't even beat the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, and we're supposed to suddenly destroy ISIS haha what a joke. I don't want to risk a single American life for that hell hole, if the people there can't beat them, then we might as well learn to do business with them (just as America does business with the beheading, Shariah loving govt of Saudi Arabia)

we can do business with saudi arabia because it's a stable government and it's ultimate goal is just to keep the saudi family in power not uniting the billions of muslims all over the world for holy war.
  • zombie

i say ? iraq

we can do business with saudi arabia because it's a stable government and it's ultimate goal is just to keep the saudi family in power not uniting the billions of muslims all over the world for holy war.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    zombie wrote: »

i say ? iraq

Yeah but Saudi Arabia has programs all over the Middle East and parts of Asia and Africa that support militant Wahhabi Sunni Islam, which is known to be radical regarding spreading Islam. There are documentaries on this all over, and ISIS actually agrees with a huge part of it

http://muslimvillage.com/2014/09/06/57428/to-understand-isis-look-at-the-history-of-saudi-arabias-wahhabism/

And don't forget Saudi Arabian princes, according to Joe Biden himself, are helping to fund ISIS. And guess what? America isn't doing drone strikes or massive warfare there. In the end, America does business with the Saudis, who aren't much better then ISIS. Saudi Arabia probably beheads almost as many people per month as ISIS does. I guess you also forgot 19 out of the 20 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia, didn't you? Don't make yourself look silly here.
  • janklow
    Yeah but Saudi Arabia has programs all over the Middle East and parts of Asia and Africa that support militant Wahhabi Sunni Islam, which is known to be radical regarding spreading Islam. There are documentaries on this all over, and ISIS actually agrees with a huge part of it
    however, per your argument on Iraq, if the government is stable, who cares?

• kingblaze84
    edited October 2014

My point is that ISIS and Saudi Arabia aren't much different from each other, so therefore America needs to mind its own business in the region. Saudi Arabia has terrorist supporters, as ISIS has terrorist supporters, so I see no reason for America to be bombing ISIS all the time while leaving Saudi Arabia alone.

If America IS SERIOUS about degrading and destroying ISIS, it would also turn its guns and bombs on Saudi Arabia, home of most of the 9/11 hijackers and Al-Qaeda financiers. But America isn't serious about getting rid of ISIS, so this whole campaign America is doing is a waste of time. This is my main point. ISIS is attacking its neighbors in a more radical fashion, true, but Saudi Arabian princes and emirs there are actively funding ISIS, ask Joe Biden.
  • zombie
    edited October 2014

My point is that ISIS and Saudi Arabia aren't much different from each other, so therefore America needs to mind its own business in the region. Saudi Arabia has terrorist supporters, as ISIS has terrorist supporters, so I see no reason for America to be bombing ISIS all the time while leaving Saudi Arabia alone.

If America IS SERIOUS about degrading and destroying ISIS, it would also turn its guns and bombs on Saudi Arabia, home of most of the 9/11 hijackers and Al-Qaeda financiers. But America isn't serious about getting rid of ISIS, so this whole campaign America is doing is a waste of time. This is my main point. ISIS is attacking its neighbors in a more radical fashion, true, but Saudi Arabian princes and emirs there are actively funding ISIS, ask Joe Biden.

Horrible post.

saudi arabia is nothing like isis for one thing saudi arabia is a real country, saudi arabia has elements in it's ruling class that support terrorism but the state itself is not focused on holy war that is a big difference. what we should do is assassinate certain people in saudi arabia not bomb them war on saudi arabia would cause world wide economy trouble. saudi arabia also is not seeking to invade other nations and bring them into a caliphate. you are right about american wasting it's time bombing isis we need to put boots on the ground and retake control of the whole ? nation.
  • kingblaze84
    edited October 2014
    The city that's right in front of Baghdad is 85 percent controlled by ISIS now. Even I didn't think the American air strikes would end up being this embarrassing

http://news.yahoo.com/iraq-forces-critical-juncture-anbar-teeters-220039670.html

"We can say that 85 percent of Anbar is under IS control," Faleh al-Issawi, the deputy head of Anbar provincial council, told AFP.

He argued that a ground intervention by US troops was the only measure that could rescue Ramadi and the rest of the province.

"If the situation continues to evolve in the same direction and foreign ground forces don't intervene within the next 10 days, the next battle will be on Baghdad's doorstep," Issawi said.

One captain told AFP last week his entire battalion had withdrawn from a base in Albu Eitha, just east of Ramadi, after spending days holed up in the compound with little food and water.

"We are in Tharthar now, the withdrawal went smoothly but I don't know what we can do from here
    .... Morale is low among the soldiers," he said.

--LOL what a joke!!!
  • kingblaze84
    zombie wrote: »

saudi arabia is nothing like isis for one thing saudi arabia is a real country, saudi arabia has elements in it's ruling class that support terrorism but the state itself is not focused on holy war that is a big difference. what we should do is assassinate certain people in saudi arabia not bomb them war on saudi arabia would cause world wide economy trouble. saudi arabia also is not seeking to invade other nations and bring them into a caliphate. you are right about american wasting it's time bombing isis we need to put boots on the ground and retake control of the whole ? nation.

As much as I disagree with your policy regarding Iraq, I at least give you credit for having a vague but concrete plan to take on ISIS. At this point, how many American boots would you put on the ground? Rumor has it ISIS has over 200K fighters plus at this point, with more on the way.