Which do you prefer?

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Quite Comical
Psychologically each option brings up different scenarios.
Which do you generally find more entertaining?

Explain why as well.

I prefer strong villains, heroes with a great deal of strength and great powers make stories seem meh to me, the reverse can work but I definitely think that if the villain has a distinct advantage then the hero has something to overcome. Of course this works best if the villain has great powers and a great plan as backup.

What say you?

Which do you prefer? 12 votes

Hero stronger than villain
8%
BangEm_Bart 1 vote
Villain stronger than hero
33%
jonoBcotton5ParallelRubato Garcia 4 votes
Hero and villain have equal powers
58%
veikurisoul rattlerricoreaCainluke1733MonkeysBananaThe Iconoclast 7 votes

Comments

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just wanted to be the oddball. DC has stronger heroes than villians but that one hero may take on multiple villians evening the odds.
  • jono
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Prefer them to be equal with the chance of them both being able to ? /stop each other. I think them being equally matched makes for better storylines also.

Ex. 1: Hulk vs The Leader is a wack story line to me because The Leader may be smarter but if Hulk was ever grab him its over

Ex 2: Superman vs Doomsday both are somewhat equally powered and either one could stop/? each other. No outside henchman are needed to prolong the action them two can just go at it.

Yeah, it can be entertaining but ultimately I prefer when the hero has to climb uphill.

It's a problem inherent in the two characters you mentioned. The Hulk is more powerful than most of his opponents so it's hard to generate any sympathy for the character sans situations where Bruce laments over the curse of being The Hulk.

So you need a villain like The Leader that brings a different kind of challenge. It's pretty much the only way it can work to me.

When it comes to Superman, you'll find the better reviews when to comes to his movies and things are when he is overmatched. Superman II and Man Of Steel, Superman: Doomsday, Superman/Batman: Apocolypse, basically put your hero in danger and get people to buy into it and it's golden.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I personally prefer the underrated hero that doesn't know he's more powerful than the villian and it takes the villian to bring it out then further on down the story he faces stronger foes and gets stronger after every feat. I also like when there is stronger anti heroes to motivate the hero like in Japanese anime. This is what my vote means.
  • jono
    Options
    Shemite wrote: »
    I personally prefer the underrated hero that doesn't know he's more powerful than the villian and it takes the villian to bring it out then further on down the story he faces stronger foes and gets stronger after every feat. I also like when there is stronger anti heroes to motivate the hero like in Japanese anime. This is what my vote means.

Truth be told I like that too. It's the system alot of anime uses and they do it quite well from time to time.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Prefer them to be equal with the chance of them both being able to ? /stop each other. I think them being equally matched makes for better storylines also.

Ex. 1: Hulk vs The Leader is a wack story line to me because The Leader may be smarter but if Hulk was ever grab him its over

Ex 2: Superman vs Doomsday both are somewhat equally powered and either one could stop/? each other. No outside henchman are needed to prolong the action them two can just go at it.

the leader vs hulk dynamic is the battle of brains vs brawn simple as that. same can be said with superman vs lex luthor.