Was Vader's WWF Run disappointing?

TRILLip Brooks
TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Off The Turn Buckle
01.jpg

In WCW, he was one of the GOAT heels. Straight man handling Cactus Jack, Sting etc.

No question in my mind at that time, Vader should have done the same thing in WWF

There was some backstage politics involving HBK, but apparently he was supposed to drop the belt to him at Summerslam 96

After that, Vader was pretty much a mid card and under utilized until his departure from the E sometime in 98

Do you think he could have been utilized better in the E? Did they drop the ball?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znOdXmOHiOc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Qg9BOMx5U

Was Vader's WWF Run disappointing? 17 votes

Yes
88%
5th Lettergucci7383aneed123jonoRobCoLifethemadlionsfanmikelewisCymicaldanewaterproofChi-Town BullyMally_GTRILLip BrooksT.Vick04Markus GarveyBangEm_Bart 15 votes
No
11%
Dupac[Deleted User] 2 votes

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Yes
    The night I saw this 400 lbs man land on his feet after a moonsault clean, I wanted him to win a title.

He was hilarious on Boy Meets World though.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    He ran into a diva Shawn Michaels and made a mistake in a match and that was the end for him
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Shawn was a ? ?
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Man WWF Damn near single handedly ruined Big Van Vader career and legacy.

He was a Monster that was Damn near unbelievable, he was a terror that really scared the ? out of wrestlers due to his strength, weight, agility and stiff wrestling, he was a legend in Japan conquered Japan, ran through and put an hurting on WCW winning Titles in both Japan and WCW World Heavyweight championship and got To WWF and became a joke
  • waterproof
    Yes
    He ran into a diva Shawn Michaels and made a mistake in a match and that was the end for him

what happened
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    waterproof wrote: »

what happened

Shawn Michaels was supposed to lose the belt to Vader at summer slam 96. Vader would then hold the strap all the way to Royal Rumble 97 till HBK won it back

But HBK ain't want to do and convince Vince not to do it
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    i was so used to seeing him flatten and break top talent (even Hogan) in WCW and clips of him in Japan (pre internet, all mags) that with him coming to the WWF, I was expecting the same. Until I saw his vignette's of him jumping up and down and doing flips on a trampoline....I knew something was wrong. It was like they were softening his image and making him look........fun and less intimidating.

Then when he couldn't get over on the WWF top talent, I knew he was done there. Then when he lost his mask to Kane and cried and called himself a "FAT ? " live on the air, it was like watching his mystique being smeared. I knew he was better than what they were doing with him, but chalked it up to a WCW guy who couldn't make it in the WWF. I later read that his mask was his "title", but not the same title that was guaranteed to him, and when he lost his mask, he lost the title that he was supposed to win a match against a top guy.
  • waterproof
    Yes

what happened

Shawn Michaels was supposed to lose the belt to Vader at summer slam 96. Vader would then hold the strap all the way to Royal Rumble 97 till HBK won it back

That's a hoe move right there from Shawn Michaels, and that's the dude the majority of this forum have a Man Crush on, a diva that wear daisy dukes with his shirt pulled through the neck area like a girl and shake his ass in the ring
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Vader in a way was the Brock Lesnar of his time. Dude could mangle people if he chose too. For awhile Vince let him do him and we saw him crush Gorilla Monsoon, Razor Ramon and a few others but once he got to the top of the card it was over.

He was in the mix for awhile, feuding with just about all the available top guys but then...

HBK beat him, then Sid beat him...then Kane destroyed him and it was over.

Damn shame too, Vince had both Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow but didn't want to utilize them properly, that will always be sad as hell to me.
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Vader is perhaps one of the best big men in wrestling of all time. But HBK Diva castrated him.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator

what happened

hbk.gif
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate that he never won the belt in the WWF. Vader was one of the nicest wrestlers around

Shawn Michaels screwed that chance at SummerSlam
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn I forgot that mask fued with kane

and yeah HBK been a ? ass ? for a long time....14 year old Rock should whipped that ? ass for disrespecting
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SummerSlam 96 killed Vader momentum. He was a beast in the 96 Royal Rumble then the night after, he attacked & Vader bombed Gorilla Monsoon then he broke Yokozuna leg. Since he supposed to had won the belt then dropped it to Shawn Michael at 97' Royal Rumble. I wonder who he would've feuded against between those times?

I see him feuding against Sid but who else? Undertaker had his problems with Mankind & Goldust, Bret was out & returned at the 1996 Survivor Series

Unless they would've switched up the booking, so Vader can have some opponents between Summerslam to Royal Rumble

i
  • Markus Garvey
    Markus Garvey Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Yes
    mikelewis wrote: »
    The night I saw this 400 lbs man land on his feet after a moonsault clean, I wanted him to win a title.

He was hilarious on Boy Meets World though.

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Vader and cactus jack had a legendary feud in WCW, that really would have been much better in WWE.

Yea, hbk been a hoe