Lets Talk Album Sales.........

Stew
Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
edited October 2014 in The Reason
Here is the week ending in 10/26 for Rap and RnB artist....

#2. T.I. - Paperwork - 79,788 (79,933)

#4. Logic - Under Pressure - 72,501 (72,558)

#30. Chris Brown - X - 9,793 (244,700) (Sept 16 release)

#31. Game - Blood Moon: Year Of The Wolf - 9,440 (42,325)

#41. Jeezy - Seen It All - 6,815 (226,088) (Sept 2 release)

#48. Lecrae - Anomaly - 6,403 (173,765)

#63. Iggy Azalea - New Classic - 4,709 (391,971) (April 21 release)

#68. Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d. city - 4,498 (1,323,773) (Oct 22 '12 release)

#72. Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood - 4,305 (189,701) (Aug 18 release)

#73. Jhene Aiko - Souled Out - 4,303 (125,315)

#74. ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron - 4,270 (331,895) (Feb 25 release)

Clearly we are not anywhere close to where we used to be(for any genre for that matter), you think ? gonna start finding a different career and stop over-saturating the game due to record low albums sales? This dude Chris Brown prolly the "biggest" artist out of everybody on here and aint even sniffing Gold after being out for a month already lol

Comments

• _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game flopped so damn hard... got damn 42k?? If he went independent I wouldve have said ? but lets hope The Doc2 can bring his career back.

Jeezy outchea moving units didnt know he was over 200k
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess if you can make good enouygh music to drop mixtapes and indy albums and have profitable tours than you still can be in the mix. Just don't look for labels to really push and promote guys.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Gold is the "New" Platinum. Ever watch a movie about the music industry in the 50's - 60's you rarely/never hear any talk of platinum records, it was all about gold records. The game has come full circle.

Artist/labels will still use music for marketing and branding to generate other revenue streams to capitalize on those 360 deals as they have been doing for the last several years.

• MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kendrick is killin these ? out here
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator

And at the same time Im surprised he isnt at double platinum in almost 2 years of release.
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn i didn't even know Game dropped an official album
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usa take money from the people and send people to ? Muslims of course the album sales will fall. It's a shame
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nah, albums havent seemed to be the main source of revenue for artists these last few years anyway, plus albums might not be selling, but singles still are

but damn, i thought cb album was still on the way
  • Chasin Bundlez
    Chasin Bundlez Members Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TI, Wiz and Game careers are over...thought that Game ? was a mixtape just googled and seen it was a full length album lol..them sales are tragic.

Logic is impressive considering I never heard of him til yesterday yet he;s rubbin shoulders wit a legend and respected vet.

Hmmm, in this climate I wonder what my ? Fab first week sales gonna look like on his next album seeing as TI just sold fuckery...
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Game flopped so damn hard... got damn 42k?? If he went independent I wouldve have said ? but lets hope The Doc2 can bring his career back.

Jeezy outchea moving units didnt know he was over 200k

Isn't he independent tho?
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are those life is good #'s looking like?
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

OFF THE TOP, 350K-ISH
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to Wiki 380K but probably Platinum
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn Game aint sold ? since LAX
  • gamezpog
    gamezpog Members Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Today's rap music is ? . Too much of the same old ? . Nothing new or exciting: Clubs, money, ? , drugs (use or sell)... everybody a boss nowadays... smh
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    ? even the Gold artist list is getting smaller
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gamezpog wrote: »
    Today's rap music is ? . Too much of the same old ? . Nothing new or exciting: Clubs, money, ? , drugs (use or sell)... everybody a boss nowadays... smh

Shut up ?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Hopefully this new trend will deter corny ? from entering the game.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dayum I expected wiz to be around 4-500k by now
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stew wrote: »

And at the same time Im surprised he isnt at double platinum in almost 2 years of release.

111ouh1.png

(Got the chart from here its from 2011)

http://www.go-gulf.com/blog/online-piracy/

This chart says 7 out of 10 people find nothing wrong with piracy, so lets for the sake of the numbers game say these 7 out of 10 people pirate music and say if illegal downloaded didn't exist half of the pirates would purchase albums. So we will multiply modern album sales by 3.5 to get a figure of what modern artist would have likely sold in the Pre-Pirate Era.

Lets use Kendrick's GKMC (1,323,773 X 3.5 = 4,633,205 ) as a ruler and compare him to his contemporaries from Pre-Pirate eras.

Game sold 5 million copies of The Documentary

Snoop sold 4 million copies of ?

Dre Sold 6 million copies of 2001

Kendricks GKMC copies factoring in piracy 4.6 million copies.

Kendricks calculated sales are on par with the rappers from the Pre Pirate era from his region. I personally always thought GKMC would have sold 5 Million in the old era, before I even had the idea of factoring in pirating. What the reason heads think about this?

• aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly we are not anywhere close to where we used to be(for any genre for that matter), you think ? gonna start finding a different career and stop over-saturating the game due to record low albums sales?This dude Chris Brown prolly the "biggest" artist out of everybody on here and aint even sniffing Gold after being out for a month already lol

We can only hope and pray, but we know this will NEVER happen.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

#2. T.I. - Paperwork - 79,788 (79,933)

#4. Logic - Under Pressure - 72,501 (72,558)

#30. Chris Brown - X - 9,793 (244,700) (Sept 16 release)

#31. Game - Blood Moon: Year Of The Wolf - 9,440 (42,325)

#41. Jeezy - Seen It All - 6,815 (226,088) (Sept 2 release)

#48. Lecrae - Anomaly - 6,403 (173,765)

#63. Iggy Azalea - New Classic - 4,709 (391,971) (April 21 release)

#68. Kendrick Lamar - good kid m.A.A.d. city - 4,498 (1,323,773) (Oct 22 '12 release)

#72. Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood - 4,305 (189,701) (Aug 18 release)

#73. Jhene Aiko - Souled Out - 4,303 (125,315)

#74. ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron - 4,270 (331,895) (Feb 25 release)

Clearly we are not anywhere close to where we used to be(for any genre for that matter), you think ? gonna start finding a different career and stop over-saturating the game due to record low albums sales? This dude Chris Brown prolly the "biggest" artist out of everybody on here and aint even sniffing Gold after being out for a month already lol

I see it another way. You say "We're not anywhere close to where we used to be." Actually, if you think about it, it's deep. Out of everybody you listed, T.I, Chris Brown, Game and Jeezy have all been around for 10 years. They might not be selling what they were selling 10 years ago but they're still around.

Another way to look at it, 10 years ago, how many rap artists in the top 100 had been around for 10 years?

It's not that rap music is selling less, I think there are more albums to buy, old and new. There's probably just as many new artists as there were 10-15 years ago, but you also have to add all of the rappers that came into the scene since that time. Then consider they all have albums(or mixtapes). They can't sell as much individually because there's so much to choose from.

I'd be surprised if overall sales are down. I think top 40/New Hip Hop sales may be in decline but people are buying older classic albums for example Good Kid Maad City is still selling because it's a classic. There must be dozens, if not scores of classic rap albums that continue to sell each week.

I wish the T/S posted the whole list.