Warriors owner said he plans to learn "hoodish," then backpedals

Options
fightforolddc
fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
On one hand it couldve been an honest mistake? Nah ? that, give him the Sterling treatment.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11779464/peter-guber-golden-state-warriors-co-owner-regrets-writing-hoodish-company-email
Peter Guber says word unintentional

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Golden State Warriors co-owner Peter Guber wrote to team employees to say that he regrets if anybody was offended by his unintentional use of "hoodish" in an email.

Yahoo! Sports reported late Monday night that Guber listed "hoodish" as one of the languages he planned to learn as he replied to a team email praising the franchise for having five international players on this season's roster. Guber, who is Jewish, responded later that he intended to type Yiddish.

The Warriors confirmed the authenticity of the emails to The Associated Press on Tuesday morning.

The NBA sent out a release Monday night that said the league's 30 teams will have a record 101 international players from 37 countries and territories. Warriors vice president of communications Raymond Ridder forwarded the release to team employees, congratulating the team for a third of its roster consisting of international players: Andrew Bogut, Leandro Barbosa, Festus Ezeli, Ognjen Kuzmic and Nemanja Nedovic.

Guber responded to the email: "I'm taking rosetta stone to learn Hungarian Serbian Australian swahili and hoodish This year. But it's nice."

Guber sent a follow-up email saying, "Someone just brought to my attention that an email I responded to earlier contains the word 'hoodish,' which I don't even think Is a Word, and certainly not the one I intended to use. I intended to type Yiddish. Either my mobile fone autocorrected or it was typed wrong. In any event I regret if anyone was unintendedly offended."

Guber is chairman and CEO of Mandalay Entertainment Group. He joined Joe Lacob's group to buy the Warriors in 2010 for $450 million, which was then an NBA record. Guber also owns a minority stake in the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The email snafu comes at a time when the NBA is reeling from other league executives making racially charged statements.

Bruce Levenson announced last month that he would sell his controlling interest in the Atlanta Hawks and apologized for talking about race in an email in August 2012. In that email, Levenson said the Hawks struggle with attendance because "the black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a significant season ticket base."

Levenson's email came after an investigation into comments Hawks general manager Danny Ferry made while reading from a scouting report about free agents. On a conference call, Ferry described forward Luol Deng, who now plays for Miami, as someone who "has a little African in him."

Ferry has taken an indefinite leave of absence.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver also banned then-Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life in April after recorded comments surfaced of him asking a female companion not to bring black people to games or publicly associate with them. Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer bought the Clippers from the Sterling family for a record $2 billion earlier this year.

Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press

Comments

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is possible he typed Yiddish although IDK which of those international players listed speak that (maybe somebody could shed some light). "Hoodish" was obviously saved in his phone auto correct suggestions though.

For now I will NOT give him the benefit of the doubt though since these ppl don't deserve it.
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    First Breezy
    Thugs? I ain't never used that word in my life stupid ass phone.

This****

Now Guber
    Guber responded to the email: "I'm taking rosetta stone to learn Hungarian Serbian Australian swahili and hoodish This year. But it's nice."

Siri don't like ? .
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So his phone autocorrected 'Yiddish' to 'hoodish'? (My phone just tried to correct 'hoodish' to 'boorish' btw) but it didn't correct his spelling of phone as 'fone'?

Typical cracka ? . They don't even be tryin with these excuses. "These ? are dumb, they'll believe whatever..."
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seriously in this overly PC era, how hard is it to NOT say some racist type ? . Even if you don't mean it that way.(unlikely) Like Colin Cowherd say... Before you hit send, read it out loud to yourself.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hood doesn't only pertain to black people tho.....
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is ? really offended he said "hoodish"? Lmao weak ass ? man. That should be the last of most of the people's problems who were offended.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These ? 's letting their racism out with no ? given

Yes they are and they should and feel confident doing it cause they know the black players who paychecks they signing ain't going to do ? about it but get they ? on the court and play hard for 48 mins. Everybody saw what the clippers players did which was nothing but some sucka ? ? wear your warm up t-shirts inside out and drop your warm up jacket on the floor. They drop that ? on the floor every ? game so how is that ? making a statement.

The owners know the players are weak and they know 95% of the players have probably already spent their money before they have even gotten it so the have to play just to maintain that fake ass lifestyle. The majority of the players are consistently operating for a known point of weakness.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hood doesn't only pertain to black people tho.....

You right but some black people try to make it that way and the white majority let them have that way so it is easier to ? on them when mentioning "the hood" cause they can always say "hood" doesn't exclusively mean black. Even though they never use it to describe so called white places just like they never use "thug" to describe a white man.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So nobody going to mention that Australians speak English?

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly, I can believe his story. I'm not saying it's true. I'm just saying that the auto correct my my phone has made some crazy changes too. Dude might want to at least proofread his emails before he sends them out though.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe him.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never been or heard of anyone being called hoodish. So I don't really give a ? . What is hoodish? What does that mean?
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    learning hoodish, Ebonics same ? thing........if he said Ebonics would y'all complained
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    learning hoodish, Ebonics same ? thing........if he said Ebonics would y'all complained

? I just emceed off top and didn't even notice
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hoodish is a culture all it's own.

Like we don't call ppl hood
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I call motherfuckas hood or ghetto all the time.

Got a couple of lil cousins that's hood as ?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    These ? 's letting their racism out with no ? given

Yes they are and they should and feel confident doing it cause they know the black players who paychecks they signing ain't going to do ? about it but get they ? on the court and play hard for 48 mins. Everybody saw what the clippers players did which was nothing but some sucka ? ? wear your warm up t-shirts inside out and drop your warm up jacket on the floor. They drop that ? on the floor every ? game so how is that ? making a statement.

The owners know the players are weak and they know 95% of the players have probably already spent their money before they have even gotten it so the have to play just to maintain that fake ass lifestyle. The majority of the players are consistently operating for a known point of weakness.

Damn