Report: Dr. Ben Carson To Announce Candidacy For President This Weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    I'll stop short of calling Dr. Carson derogatory names, but he'll get his ? wake up call soon enough.

There is no way the GOP backs or supports him in this endeavor in any way, shape, or form.

IDK man, some Republicans really are trying to get a new Black Republican star. Mia Love, the first Haitian-American woman to ever get elected to Congress, is a Republican star right now. Some are even saying she should run for president lol, so I wouldn't be so sure. Oh and she won in Utah, the Whitest state in America (and most Republican too). I wouldn't vote for her but some in the GOP did

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2014/11/08/362547523/as-gop-swept-congress-black-republicans-took-home-historic-wins

mia_love_wide-4fdbfc3c477d446b205d71bf7e66605693edc71a-s40-c85.jpg

I hope she does well. Republicans aren't intrinsically bad. They just have a lot of racisits and classists.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    IDK man, some Republicans really are trying to get a new Black Republican star. Mia Love, the first Haitian-American woman to ever get elected to Congress, is a Republican star right now. Some are even saying she should run for president lol, so I wouldn't be so sure. Oh and she won in Utah, the Whitest state in America (and most Republican too). I wouldn't vote for her but some in the GOP did
    the question is, in the end, what's the reason you wouldn't vote for them?
    if it's policy-based, that's different from "no (D) after their name" (and more constructive). but something tells me that, for a lot of people, it's not the former.

I voted for a non-Democrat many times in my life as an independent, but many people, especially Blacks, don't trust Republicans and won't vote for one for many good reasons. After George W Bush, I would be scared to death to vote for any Republican unless they can prove to me they're not warmongers and support horrible foreign policies like invading Iran (something Republicans are dying to do, especially if they get the presidency). But if a Republican sounds rational like maybe a Rand Paul or someone close to that, maybe Americans of all parties will vote for one for president. I doubt Hilary would beat Rand Paul to be honest, Hilary's vote for the war in Iraq is gonna drag her down.

? WHAT?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    the question is, in the end, what's the reason you wouldn't vote for them?
    if it's policy-based, that's different from "no (D) after their name" (and more constructive). but something tells me that, for a lot of people, it's not the former.

I voted for a non-Democrat many times in my life as an independent, but many people, especially Blacks, don't trust Republicans and won't vote for one for many good reasons. After George W Bush, I would be scared to death to vote for any Republican unless they can prove to me they're not warmongers and support horrible foreign policies like invading Iran (something Republicans are dying to do, especially if they get the presidency). But if a Republican sounds rational like maybe a Rand Paul or someone close to that, maybe Americans of all parties will vote for one for president. I doubt Hilary would beat Rand Paul to be honest, Hilary's vote for the war in Iraq is gonna drag her down.

? WHAT?

Well Rand isn't perfect but he sounds rational on some subjects, like the never ending wars and the war on marijuana, at least compared to other Republicans
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    I voted for a non-Democrat many times in my life as an independent, but many people, especially Blacks, don't trust Republicans and won't vote for one for many good reasons. After George W Bush, I would be scared to death to vote for any Republican unless they can prove to me they're not warmongers and support horrible foreign policies like invading Iran (something Republicans are dying to do, especially if they get the presidency).
    except that if THAT is the reason you don't vote Republican, you've likely just turned around and voted for Democrats who warmonger and support invading Iran.

really, though, i think the issue remains that if you don't break from always supporting a party line, you give that party reason to take your vote for granted and you shouldn't be surprised when the other party doesn't seem that concerned about you. you have to make both of the work for it.
    They just have a lot of racisits and classists.
    i suppose the percentages may vary, but to me this sounds like Democrats as well
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They just have a lot of racisits and classists.
    i suppose the percentages may vary, but to me this sounds like Democrats as well

It is, but Republican are far more "in your face" with it. Democrats at least try to hide it in an effort to get other races and lower classes on their side.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    It is, but Republican are far more "in your face" with it. Democrats at least try to hide it in an effort to get other races and lower classes on their side.
    "The white conservatives aren’t friends of the ? either, but at least they don’t try to hide it. They are like wolves, they show you their teeth in a snarl. That always keep the ? aware of where he stands with them, but the white liberals are foxes who show their teeth to the ? also, but they pretend they’re smiling. The white liberal is more dangerous than the conservative. They lure the ? , and as the ? runs from the growling wolf. He flees into the open jaws of the smiling fox."