• lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nature, he flowed great on the Firm album
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    THE_R_ wrote: »
    Method Man. He's the Rasheed Wallace of Hip Hop. Someone who had goat potential but settled for being merely good.

HE TOOK 4:20 TOO SERIOUS...4 ALBUMS IN 20 YEARS

I can divide.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lethal5 wrote: »
    Nature, he flowed great on the Firm album

HE REALLY CAME THRU ON THAT FIRM ALBUM
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Killa Sin

coulda easily made wu-tangs starting line up
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Co-sign Juelz first that came to mind

Not many rappers can make a 'Who am I', and From Me 2 U was sick

Then after he started to disappear he had the wayne affiliation but still couldnt pop
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JUELZ WAS PRETTY WACK TO BEGIN WITH TBH

ITS STRANGE HOW HE NEVER DROPPED AFTER HIS LAST ALBUM BC IT DID WELL
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Always thought Jody Breeze could've blew up along side Jeezy.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHcwS4Ktth4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yOVR6ZSKQY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il4iixbThyk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRgpfu84rt8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIJvjbfJyiI

SSSSSSSSSSSQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUADDDDDD UPPPPPPP! RIP STACK BUNDLE$ FAROCKAWAY FOREVA! I SEE YOU CHINX DRUGZ!
    SHOUTOUT TO LUPE, JOE BUDDEN, MAX B, JIMMY JONES, AND WAYNE!
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    threat
    hitman
    d.o.c.
    rbx
    lady of rage
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »
    d.o.c.

Legend

Probably the saddest story in hiphop

Lady of Rage spit fire too... i put her up against any female mc
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    The problem with this thread is that most of these artists are so young and haven't even peaked creatively. Another major issue with Hip-Hop is that we put so much emphasis on an artist when they first come out that if they don't live up to the hype we don't give them a second chance (for ex. Saigon, Joe Budden, etc) . J.Cole, Big KRIT, Curren$y, Drake, Lil Wayne, Outkast etc. we're lucky enough not to drop their best work as their first albums b/c it gave them room to learn and grow to become better artists.

Jcole & Drake debut albums were better than their followups imo
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    220px-NasIllmatic.jpg

Gonna get hate for this but Nas. Everyone claims Illmatic is the greatest album ever and he never reached those heights again.
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    GSonII wrote: »
    220px-NasIllmatic.jpg

Gonna get hate for this but Nas. Everyone claims Illmatic is the greatest album ever and he never reached those heights again.

Majority of artists never top their debut tho

Jay never topped Reasonable Doubt
    (he said it himself, before the stans ? me for that too)
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't be considered a goat and also have failed to love up to potential
    That's like saying shaq didn't live up to potential
  • spayspay
    spayspay Members Posts: 428 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AZ is in the grey area; an enigma.

EVERYONE knows he's dope, but for some reason, he's ignored by EVERYONE. I don't know if it's that he didn't reach his potential, or that folks didn't expect much from him, thus, no one really checked for him, so his career didn't flourish like it could have.

no disrespect, i actually own his entire discography, but his career is like a footnote in hip hop. He's the one that EVERYONE says he's underrated. But who's fault is that?
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    My Top 10 Artists Who Had Million Dollar Deals but NEVER lived up to the hype:

10. Asher Roth -- this dude was seen as the great white hype, he had a nice buzz when he first dropped and lyrically he was smooth. I think Asher's problem tho was having no experience with the industry politics. His albums were horribly marketed and he never really pushed consistent singles.

9. Lil B -- he had a crazy cult following but then it got stupid. I thought it was his way of using the internet to put the medicine in the candy but he squandered that. Now he's just stupid and wack SMMFH. He could have leveraged that in a big way if he was smart.

8. Jae Millz -- this dude was killing mixtapes in the early 2000s and was thought to be Harlem's next best thing. I heard he turned down deals from Rocafella and Dipset SMMFH. He was a battle rapper I believe. Crazy cuz I think if Jae Millz came out NOW the way he did back then he could have really used the Battle Rap platform to catapult himself to stardom.

7. AZ -- ? can hate me but I think AZ's biggest mistake was letting Nas drop first. AZ was signed before Nas was. And personally I think his first album is a classic. Not only that but AZ is incredibly dope. Not sure why he never kept pushing. Always felt perhaps his personal life and the streets kept getting in the way.

6. Young Chris -- this ? maaad talented and at one point I remember ? reaching and sayin that Jay was copying his style. This dude should have been what Drake, Wale and J.Cole are now but back then. Not only that but he had the machine behind him in a major way. I feel that Young Chris had the best chance on the Roc outside of Freeway, Beans, Cam and Ye to blow and be a major artist in music.

5. Papoose -- getting signed to Jive and Kay Slay & Busta Rhymes for $1.5 million, an incredible mixtape catalog but just couldn't nail a radio single to get the album green lit. So Jive eventually dropped him and he became a tax write-off. Lyrically I thought Pap was dope and as much as the IC clowns him he was in 2005/2006 looked at as New York's potential savior. I think he dropped Narceirma Dream as a mixtape, needless to say it was quite satisfying.

4. Saigon -- Truly the Greatest Story Never Told.... even with Mark Whalberg cosigning him and putting him on Entourage he still couldn't get signed on the show as a rapper SMMFH LOLOL. How life imitates art, Saigon had a million dollar deal too but once again, his lack of being able to drop a radio single hindered his chances of getting his album green lit. Just Blaze produced that whole album and in the end, it never dropped. I think he dropped it as a mixtape too but I aint check it. Last I heard of Saigon he lost to Joe Budden in a battle over nothing.

3. Chamillionaire/Mike Jones -- Chamillionaire was on the right track but what ? him up is when he dropped that album with no cuss words. That was his biggest demise. He gets an A for effort but what I didn't understand was why do that when all albums already come with a censored version anyways ? SMMFH. And what's ? up is Chamillionaire has a platinum album, he jinx himself on his second album. Mike Jones was just an idiot who believed his own hype. As a result, he lost his respect, I dont even think Houston really ? w/ Mike Jones like that anymore.

2. Beanie Sigel -- this ? played himself too, going to jail too many times SMMFH. He had a lot of businesses that were successful but Beans not being able to leave the streets killed all those opportunities and his money for lawyer fees and eventually led to him getting cut off by Jay-Z at one point. Ironically the same guy along with Dame and Biggs who green lit his projects and because of their effort even allowed Beans to get the connections and platform he had. You cannot get a bigger opportunity than that. Beans had a successful clothing and shoe line, a successful record label, a cartoon, movie production company, a solid catalog and a radio station. A dayum shame.

1. Shyheim -- Some of yall might be too young to remember this cat but he was a Wu affiliate at like 14 and not only that got to share the stage with BDK, 2Pac and Biggie in Brooklyn for that infamous "Where Brooklyn At!?" Freestyle. He had it all, he was all over music videos, lyrically he was very gifted, all the girls loved him, all the young boys wanted to have it like him, he was learning from the Wu Tang Clan, he had RZA executive producing his albums which still did well on the charts, he had a cosign from Big & Pac and also had a nice career as an actor which back in the 90s was a big deal if you could get it. He was what Lil Wayne was before Lil Wayne. He had so much potential but once again like Beans got caught up in the streets and ended up losing all of that. Imagine what could have been.

Lastly, I don't see how Lauryn Hill didn't live up to her hype when she has 2 diamond albums (1 with The Fugees and her solo and unplugged albums). She has grammies too, iuno I'd say she more than shattered expectations. Juelz Santana I don't count either when he has gold/platinum records under his belt and was apart of one of the biggest movements out of NY hell in Hip-Hop. He was rapping for money not accolades LOLOLOLOLOL.

This is a good list. I copped albums/downloaded mix tapes from at least 4 or 5 of these expecting more from them.

Saigon is nice as ? .

Seems like a lot of artists don't work hard enough.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peedi ?

He even changed his name to Peedi Peedi to make himself more marketable.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    You can't be considered a goat and also have failed to love up to potential
    That's like saying shaq didn't live up to potential

False. A rapper can be considered very good but still not as good as he/she could have been given his/her talent.

To put it in ball terms, a dude could be a fall of famer but not one of the all-time greats, though he had the talent to become one of the all-time greats.
  • JohnnyQuest_
    JohnnyQuest_ Members Posts: 1
    Options
    Juelz Santana is the firs that comes to mind.

• Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Peedi ?

He even changed his name to Peedi Peedi to make himself more marketable.
    Yeah he did. Very talented dude and unique flow.

Him and Pun got dope flows because they're used to speaking Spanish which is very fast. Translate that fast talk to English and u got a peedi or Pun.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saigon
    Chamillionaire
    Cassidy
    Fabolous
    Jadakiss