HIIT Discussion

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sometime this month I am going to get into an HIIT routine

For those of you in the dark about what it is, it's a form of stop-go exercise in which one puts forth their maximum effort for a period of time, and then rests, only to repeat it. Sprinters train like this and have been observed year after year as being some of the leanest athletes.
A study from Australia reported that females following a 20-minute HIIT program, consisting of 8-second sprints followed by 12 seconds of rest, lost six times more body fat than the group who followed a 40-minute cardio program performed at a constant intensity of 60 percent of their maximum heart rate.

Anybody have a routine they're already on?
I'm lookin to build one over the next week or so. My goal is to still incorporate resistance training.

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
  • J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^ gon have to get on that..

• J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Tried this, but ? got to real for me. Couldn't finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnsLVArIt8&list=WL72246B78BCD8CB71

Just finished this...this ? is NO ? JOKE
  • KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Approx 12months ago was doing the Insanity HIIT training for 2months.. but due to doing it everyday or 6 out of 7, I started to get aches in my knees.

Today just started using my Gymboss timer again.. set it for 40sec work and 20sec rest x 20 sets

Just did:

*Jogging with knees high on the spot
    *jogging with that kickbacks on the spot
    *then some side to side running ?
    *then like a squat star jump thing

alternating these at each 40sec start and was done. Worked out to just over 13mins of actual activity and was ? sweating HEAPS when was done.

Trying to find short but effective sessions as this so knees aren't too bad and can get through it with a great effect.

Just gonna try this 3 times a week for now and little weights in between. Not a huge fitness person, but skinny and looking at maintaining some strength and cardio ?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sorry bro. If you're into lifting over cardio HIIT is ? it will dig a hole into your recovery. Only time it is profit is 1 time a week after you're under 12% body fat. Conditioning athletic work is way better though.
  • LUClEN
    Options
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It won't dig a whole. All I do on my base currently is lift and run. So far all my lifts have gone up and I'm running my 2mile in 12:50. The hit we do I'd basically 60/30. 60 seconds of fun out running then 30 seconds of speed walking. It's important that you speed walk on the 30 seconds you want to keep your heart rate up.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    It won't dig a whole. All I do on my base currently is lift and run. So far all my lifts have gone up and I'm running my 2mile in 12:50. The hit we do I'd basically 60/30. 60 seconds of fun out running then 30 seconds of speed walking. It's important that you speed walk on the 30 seconds you want to keep your heart rate up.

I do the same split for my sprints

My legs have actually gotten a lot stronger since including them in my routine

kev doesn't know what he's talking about
    sprinting can be anabolic