Wu-Tang Clan "A Better Tomorrow"

Comments

• KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As of right now I'm feeling 9 out of 15 joints. Pretty good album. I like this album better than Iron Flag & 8 Diagrams.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to cop this. I hope it doesn't underwhelm like their last few albums.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    production is on point, Wu boys did their thing lyrically. The hooks were weak though (no Shady)
  • onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stew wrote: »
    RZA just did an interview with the New York Times magazine in which he discussed his film career, the mysterious Wu-Tang album Once Upon a Time in Shaolin and Capadonna’s other career as a cab driver.

It’s a fascinating and relatively quick read, but there was one part of the the interview that really stuck out. According to RZA, he will personally lose about a $500,000 on A Better Tomorrow, which drops on Dec. 2.

You’re paying for a lot of this record out of pocket, right? Studio time, musicians, everything? Everything. And I won’t recoup. I’m already overbudget. Maybe I’ll net out a half-million-dollar loss.

Some people with half a million dollars, they buy themselves two fancy cars, or maybe a house. What did you buy yourself for half a million dollars? I invested in the album. Look, if I never did anything again in music, it wouldn’t affect my life materially. I live a very satisfying life. Not because I’ve made a few dollars, but because I have a wife who loves me and children who wait for me to come home. And that is beautiful. I think that’s the American dream: to be at peace at home.

http://news.hiphopearly.com/rza-says-will-lose-half-million-better-tomorrow/

Dope!
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait wu tang is still making music? these dudes weren't even good in their prime....i laughed so hard when i saw this thread
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know this was even out, will check.
  • awwwwwwwwwww
    awwwwwwwwwww Members Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I listened to the first 9 tracks so far and it's doo doo grits except for Keep Watch.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this album...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the album. As I figured, it's one of those things that has to grow on you. Basically, you have expectations of what you want and it probably won't fit those. But when you discard them and just listen to it for what it is, it's really dope. There are some aspects where Rza drops the ball, the biggest example being the hooks on several songs, but overall the beats are fresh and nice and the lyrics are on point for the most part. I'm sure there are people that simply won't like it, and that's understandable. I honestly think it's a strong album.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    I like the fact that they made a grown man album. They weren't trying to fit into the mainstream box.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    bck145 wrote: »
    wait wu tang is still making music? these dudes weren't even good in their prime....i laughed so hard when i saw this thread

yall didnt have to flag this clown, he also says dumb ? like

nope i dont'

theres a few like t.i., outkast, scarface.....virginia is not south so clipse doesn't count, but they aren't good anyway
    lol @ "Virginia is not South"

look at a map my dude...how is the northern part of virginia considered south? it borders PA, borders maryland too...you can't tell me maryland is south, south is like georgia, flordia, mississippi, texas....basically below the virginia and kentucky border

Pay him no mind, we dont pick on the ? . we should be better than that
  • The Lonious Monk
    A lot of people don't consider Virginia and Maryland as the South even though technically they both are.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Nothin about Baltimore and northern of it is remotely close to be southern. Certain parts of VA as well.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Nothin about Baltimore and northern of it is remotely close to be southern. Certain parts of VA as well.

Are you serious? My wife's family is from Hartford County which is just north of Baltimore. And the first time I took her down south to visit my family in the country, the first thing she said was "Wow, this reminds me of Hartford County." Baltimore is like the only area that is nothing like the South. Even the areas in MD right around DC aren't that much different that the Suburban areas you find around southern cities like ATL. And outside of NoVA, VA is most definitely a Southern state. I don't even know how people fix their face to argue anything otherwise.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator

Are you serious? My wife's family is from Hartford County which is just north of Baltimore. And the first time I took her down south to visit my family in the country, the first thing she said was "Wow, this reminds me of Hartford County." Baltimore is like the only area that is nothing like the South. Even the areas in MD right around DC aren't that much different that the Suburban areas you find around southern cities like ATL. And outside of NoVA, VA is most definitely a Southern state. I don't even know how people fix their face to argue anything otherwise.

lol I grew up in Hartford Co and my mom still lives there. The only resemblance is the land, that's it. Moving from that part of the country to south GA was a culture shock to me.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nex gin wrote: »
    Can't wait to cop this. I hope it doesn't underwhelm like their last few albums.

Copped.....listened........disappointed :(
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    not really feeling it. the album was way over produced. ? felt like a broadway play album at times.

maybe it will grow on me like 8 diagrams.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    5th Letter wrote: »
    I like the fact that they made a grown man album. They weren't trying to fit into the mainstream box.

man i felt the same way when i listen to this album today..? just felt grown. really good album. i think U-? did his thing on this album and cappadona came thru with some good ? on this album as well.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited December 2014
    This album is like 8D in the sense that I think that most of the criticisms are true. Like when people say it's overproduced, I can absolutely see where they are coming from, and in some cases agree. This is one of those albums where it really just depends on your tastes. I listened to the whole group catalog today, and I have to say it's a really nice transition. Of course the earlier work is better, but I like the way they grew and changed. I like this album, but only because I accepted going in that it wouldn't be anything like what I was hoping it would be. If I hadn't done that, I'd probably be disappointed too.

lol I grew up in Hartford Co and my mom still lives there. The only resemblance is the land, that's it. Moving from that part of the country to south GA was a culture shock to me.

lol My friend from ATL had to go to Macon for a while. He had a culture shock when he went there, but it didn't change the fact that he was still in GA.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the album. I like older artists transitioning to live instruments and injecting substance into their music. Rehashing the same sounds and subject matter is a no no for me when it comes to seasoned artists.

Wu has so much material available if, I want to hear grimey, wild out Wu it's nothing but a fingertip away.

On another note. I like how RZA is setting up Wu to able to tour for years to come. I can see their stage show being either DJ driven or backed by a live band.

Oh yeah. Cappadonna is ILL!!!!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RZA with his middle age production on this joint, LOL. I'm actually listening as I post

WU can hardly go wrong

We all pray for a better tomorrow..
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smh damn smh why can't i get that wu forever sounding lp ? did him on every joint he on as expected but these beats are trash man wth granted i've heard worse but man this not how i wanted to hear them make a comeback. might just edit everyone out and keep ? rae and ghost verses
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    I didn't know this was even out, will check.

• onetoughmiracle
    onetoughmiracle Members Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bought it and I like what I'm hearing so far