Documentary Weekend Wk1 : "The House I Live In"

Options
Bully_Pulpit
Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in For The Grown & Sexy
OK so lets kick this ? off. Powerful, powerful documentary detailing the war on drugs, the history and repercussions of said war on drugs. A great deal of the documentary focuses on the casualties this fruitless "war" has had on black communities and other institutions it has affected. I've seen many documentaries on this subject but this one touches home on a number of levels. There were things I already knew prior to watching it and things I didn't know but it is important to realize that there is a difference from hearing something is the way it is and witnessing it in real time with factual evidence and/or accounts to back it up. I will also be dropping other pieces to this puzzle in the thread periodically the raises important questions about the overarching subject of drugs and how they have destroyed our communities. is this all just a big coincidence or is it a grand plot of genocide?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0atL1HSwi8

Unfortunately I was not able to find a free youtube link to the doc to post here, it is available there but for a fee. However it is on netflix and I have a free link for the video stream on putlocker:putlocker.is/watch-the-house-i-live-in-online-free-putlocker.html

Comments

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    OK so lets kick this ? off. Powerful, powerful documentary detailing the war on drugs, the history and repercussions of said war on drugs. A great deal of the documentary focuses on the casualties this fruitless "war" has had on black communities and other institutions it has affected. I've seen many documentaries on this subject but this one touches home on a number of levels. There were things I already knew prior to watching it and things I didn't know but it is important to realize that there is a difference from hearing something is the way it is and witnessing it in real time with factual evidence and/or accounts to back it up. I will also be dropping other pieces to this puzzle in the thread periodically the raises important questions about the overarching subject of drugs and how they have destroyed our communities. is this all just a big coincidence or is it a grand plot of genocide?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0atL1HSwi8

Unfortunately I was not able to find a free youtube link to the doc to post here, it is available there but for a fee. However it is on netflix and I have a free link for the video stream on putlocker:putlocker.is/watch-the-house-i-live-in-online-free-putlocker.html

GOAT thread idea bruh.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Less of a grand plot of genocide and more of a part of raw unabashed form of capitalism. Drugs will always be profitable I mean just take a look at coffee which is technically a drug is starbucks as a company is worth over 100billion.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I watched this a while ago surprised me how deep it goes sometimes.
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seen it a year or 2 ago.

Great doc. In my top 5
  • Bully_Pulpit
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Less of a grand plot of genocide and more of a part of raw unabashed form of capitalism. Drugs will always be profitable I mean just take a look at coffee which is technically a drug is starbucks as a company is worth over 100billion.

You are right its a bit of both in fact it will made abundantly clear that slavery(which is a form a genocide if you ask me) and capitalism go hand and hand. We will explore this exact way of thinking through excerpts of "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. The author was featured in a few segments in the documentary that this thread is based around.
    asset_upload_file549_221535.png
    This book can be found in pdf form for freekropfpolisci.com/racial.justice.alexander.pdf or in audiobook form. With audible you can sign up for a free 30-day trial to obtain it in that way. I highly recommend it and its a good read/listen.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Awww ? ! Got a new documentary to watch!
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gonna check this out tonight looks interesting, ? the system.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Options
    I will start posting a few excerpts from the book, there are quite a few that are particularly etherous. We will start with the beginning passage to provide the framework of the book.
    Chapter 1
    The Rebirth of Caste
    [T]he slave went free; stood a brief moment in the sun; then moved back again
    toward slavery.
    —W.E.B Du Bois, Black Reconstruction in America
    For more than one hundred years, scholars have written about the illusory nature of the
    Emancipation Proclamation. President Abraham Lincoln issued a declaration purporting to free
    slaves held in Southern Confederate states, but not a single black slave was actually free to
    walk away from a master in those states as a result. A civil war had to be won first, hundreds of
    thousands of lives lost, and then—only then—were slaves across the South set free. Even that
    freedom proved illusory, though. As W.E.B. Du Bois eloquently reminds us, former slaves had
    "a brief moment in the sun" before they were returned to a status akin to slavery. Constitutional
    amendments guaranteeing African Americans "equal protection of the laws" and the right to
    vote proved as impotent as the Emancipation Proclamation once a white backlash against
    Reconstruction gained steam. Black people found themselves yet again powerless and
    relegated to convict leasing camps that were, in many ways, worse than slavery. Sunshine gave
    way to darkness, and the Jim Crow system of segregation emerged—a system that put black
    people nearly back where they began, in a subordinate racial caste.

Few find it surprising that Jim Crow arose following the collapse of slavery. The
    development is described in history books as regrettable but predictable, given the virulent
    racism that gripped the South and the political dynamics of the time. What is remarkable is that
    hardly anyone seems to imagine that similar political dynamics may have produced another
    caste system in the years following the collapse of Jim Crow—one that exists today. The story
    that is told during Black History Month is one of triumph; the system of racial caste is officially
    dead and buried. Suggestions to the contrary are frequently met with shocked disbelief. The
    standard reply is: "How can you say that a racial caste system exists today? Just look at Barack
    Obama! Just look at Oprah Winfrey!"
    The fact that some African Americans have experienced great success in recent years does
    not mean that something akin to a racial caste system no longer exists. No caste system in the
    United States has ever governed all black people; there have always been "free blacks" and
    black success stories, even during slavery and Jim Crow. The superlative nature of individual
    black achievement today in formerly white domains is a good indicator that the old Jim Crow is
    dead, but it does not necessarily mean the end of racial caste. If history is any guide, it may
    have simply taken a different form.

Any candid observer of American racial history must acknowledge that racism is highly
    adaptable. The rules and reasons the political system employs to enforce status relations of any
    kind, including racial hierarchy, evolve and change as they are challenged. The valiant efforts to
    abolish slavery and Jim Crow and to achieve greater racial equality have brought about
    significant changes in the legal framework of American society—new "rules of the game," so to
    speak. These new rules have been justified by new rhetoric, new language, and a new social
    consensus, while producing many of the same results. This dynamic, which legal scholar Reva
    Siegel has dubbed "preservation through transformation," is the process through which white
    privilege is maintained, though the rules and rhetoric change.

This process, though difficult to recognize at any given moment, is easier to see in
    retrospect. Since the nation's founding, African Americans repeatedly have been controlled
    through institutions such as slavery and Jim Crow, which appear to die, but then are reborn in
    new form, tailored to the needs and constraints of the time. As described in the pages that
    follow, there is a certain pattern to this cycle. Following the collapse of each system of control,
    there has been a period of confusion—transition—in which those who are most committed to racial hierarchy search for new means to achieve their goals within the rules of the game as
    currently defined. It is during this period of uncertainty that the backlash intensifies and a new
    form of racialized social control begins to take hold.

The adoption of the new system of control is
    never inevitable, but to date it has never been avoided. The most ardent proponents of racial
    hierarchy have consistently succeeded in implementing new racial caste systems by triggering a
    collapse of resistance across the political spectrum. This feat has been achieved largely by
    appealing to the racism and vulnerability of lower-class whites, a group of people who are
    understandably eager to ensure that they never find themselves trapped at the bottom of the
    American hierarchy.

The emergence of each new system of control may seem sudden, but history shows that the
    seeds are planted long before each new institution begins to grow. For example, although it is
    common to think of the Jim Crow regime following immediately on the heels of Reconstruction,
    the truth is more complicated. And while it is generally believed that the backlash against the
    Civil Rights Movement is denned primarily by the rollback of affirmative action and the
    undermining of federal civil rights legislation by a hostile judiciary, the seeds of the new system
    of control—mass incarceration—were planted during the Civil Rights Movement itself, when it
    became clear that the old caste system was crumbling and a new one would have to take its
    place.

With each reincarnation of racial caste, the new system, as sociologist Loic Wacquant puts
    it, "is less total, less capable of encompassing and controlling the entire race."2 However, any
    notion that this evolution reflects some kind of linear progress would be misguided, for it is not at
    all obvious that it would be better to be incarcerated for life for a minor drug offense than to live
    with one's family, earning an honest wage under the Jim Crow regime—notwithstanding the
    ever-present threat of the ? . Moreover, as the systems of control have evolved, they have
    become perfected, arguably more resilient to challenge, and thus capable of enduring for
    generations to come. The story of the political and economic underpinnings of the nation's
    founding sheds some light on these recurring themes in our history and the reasons new racial
    caste systems continue to be born.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I finally watched it. This ? off. When you just consider that America has more of its citizens behind bars than any other nation on the planet, and we presently have more Blacks incarcerated than were slaves in the Confederate States of America during the 1850's... that is just mind-blowing to me. That coupled with the fact that our misguided approach to the issue of illegal drugs is the single most important reason why so many of us are in prison. It's slavery. It makes me so sad
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Options
    I finally watched it. This ? off. When you just consider that America has more of its citizens behind bars than any other nation on the planet, and we presently have more Blacks incarcerated than were slaves in the Confederate States of America during the 1850's... that is just mind-blowing to me. That coupled with the fact that our misguided approach to the issue of illegal drugs is the single most important reason why so many of us are in prison. It's slavery. It makes me so sad

Yeah my bad, that ? is pretty depressing but so was that dear Zachary ?
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theres always a choice.
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    Theres always a choice.

You have to have the will to make that choice.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    Theres always a choice.

? please. That is a ? ass excuse for ? .
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Options
    Theres always a choice.

What the ? is you even talking bout anyway? What choices?
  • Dr.Chemix
    Options
    Theres always a choice.

What the ? is you even talking bout anyway? What choices?

So you answer that "you have to have the will to make that choice" but don't even know what the ? I'm talking about, so you ask now?

smh
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm torn because the war on drugs was bad for the black community, the advent of ? by itself was had a ridiculously bad effect on the Black Community. I saw a documentary on that and it showed a lot of the "Hoods" were nice middle-upper middle class neighborhoods that were destroyed boy ? . I mean some of those areas were self sufficient with Black professionals and Black businesses and one drug took them all down. Crazy
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »

You are right its a bit of both in fact it will made abundantly clear that slavery(which is a form a genocide if you ask me) and capitalism go hand and hand. We will explore this exact way of thinking through excerpts of "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. The author was featured in a few segments in the documentary that this thread is based around.
    asset_upload_file549_221535.png
    This book can be found in pdf form for freekropfpolisci.com/racial.justice.alexander.pdf or in audiobook form. With audible you can sign up for a free 30-day trial to obtain it in that way. I highly recommend it and its a good read/listen.

My girl read that book n told me a lot of info in it

Like how some prisons are built in the middle of white nowhere USA and the influx of black inmates sent there increases their population which gives them more tax breaks/funding per head which supports the free people who are over 90% white. Black ppl getting locked up at alarming rates and white ppl (politicians and citizens) getting all the benefits of it.

and a lot of examples of blacks getting harsher punishments for the same crimes whites committed.

That book is an eye opener. The author was on bill maher show as well which is how we both heard of the book. I cosign the suggestion to read this.