Comic Book ?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2014 in Quite Comical
Only comics I've read are The Walking Dead. So, I'm gonna go and pick out some comics, my kids wanna get into them, too, so where should I start? What are the better series for Batman, Hulk, Spider-Man, Punisher etc and what are some good comics that aren't your everyday superhero movie guys?

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pm @O.D.B

that ? got everything on everybody.. hook u up with a comic reader n everything
  • veikuri
    veikuri Members Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Just pick up the latest comics out right now. Last thing you want to do to a kid is bury them in decades of continuity.

I would go with this for Spider-Man assuming your kids know who Venom and Carnage are at least.

250px-Spider-Man_Maximum_Carnage.jpg
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    pm @O.D.B

that ? got everything on everybody.. hook u up with a comic reader n everything

About to make a beginner comic book thread. (With the comic book reader as well).

But let me say this now: do not request no Marvel or Image comics in the thread. They are really tight and strict about they stuff, and they do check the web everyday for any of their stuff. So if you ask me for any, I'm going to ignore that request and ask the mods to delete the request.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    veikuri wrote: »
    Just pick up the latest comics out right now. Last thing you want to do to a kid is bury them in decades of continuity.

I would go with this for Spider-Man assuming your kids know who Venom and Carnage are at least.

250px-Spider-Man_Maximum_Carnage.jpg

lmao didnt knew it was actually a comic, I had the spiderman maximum game on the super nintendo. Had the exaxt same cover
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If your worried about a jumping on point, dont. I did that. If a character is on issue 50 dont let that intimidate you because you dont know what happened before. a lot of times they wont even reference stories that happened unless its a continuing arc. Or unless a significant event happened that effects the current story.
  • thephantasm
    thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • VIBE
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    You can always go to the comicbook store and get the Trade(4-6 books in one cover) of the series. That's how i got caught in the DC world since I'm not a fan of their work

@Cain been looking into doing this.. I wanna get somewhat caught up w recent issues and I'll wiki other ? to get back stpries..
  • DillaDeaf
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    You can always go to the comicbook store and get the Trade(4-6 books in one cover) of the series. That's how i got caught in the DC world since I'm not a fan of their work

@Cain been looking into doing this.. I wanna get somewhat caught up w recent issues and I'll wiki other ? to get back stpries..

Or just go in my Comics Lore and Tome thread and I'll get you the trades you want to check.
  • VIBE
    Options
    I tried downloading Sandman, the one you hooked up Lou with, and it says error.

I only use my phone, never an actual computer. So, I dunno if that's an issue.
  • DillaDeaf
    Options
    I tried downloading Sandman, the one you hooked up Lou with, and it says error.

I only use my phone, never an actual computer. So, I dunno if that's an issue.

it's too big for your phone. You gonna have to use your laptop or desktop for that Sandman , and also use the comic book reader I put in the thread.

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the Trades, id probably cop those off of amazon. a LOT cheaper on there, and sometimes you can get deals for buying more than one. In my experience they are almost double the price of amazon at comic shops and book stores.

Another thing, if you dont necessarily have the dough to buy, but want to check some out, go to a public library. Most are free to rent if you provide a current mailing address (usually have to bring in something that was mailed to you, like a bill or bank statement) and they have hella Graphic Novels/Paperback trades you can rent. atleast every library in my city does.

Rented like 5 at a time, and our big library here has every paperback trade to every new 52 comic that has been released so far.