According To The New York Times, Classic Hip Hop Stations Are Thriving

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
Philadelphia radio station reportedly triples audience after switching to a classic Hip Hop station.

A report from the New York Times has revealed that classic Hip Hop radio stations and radio stations that play primarily classic Hip Hop are experiencing a hefty increase in ratings.

The Times used figures from the Houston, Texas-based KROI-FM, a radio station that recently made the switch from news to classic Hip Hop, for their report.

The publication reports that KROI's audience tripled after they made the switch to a classic Hip Hop radio station. In the two months since making the switch, the station's audience has reportedly gone from 245,000 to 802,000.

Similarly, a station in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which also made the switch to a classic Hip Hop station recently, went from 534,000 listeners to 736,000 in the span of roughly one month.

Although a number of newly-converted classic Hip Hop stations have welcomed increased views, the New York Times also states that some stations have seen a drop in numbers, weeks after launching.

The Times then suggested that the drop-off could have resulted from the fact that "some listeners moved on to other things" after tuning in to the stations.

Despite the New York Times' findings, a number of classic Hip Hop stations are expected to launch in the United States next year.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.31893/title.classic-hip-hop-radio-stations-thriving-new-york-times-report-says

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    There's a new station here in the tristate that plays old school hip hop on the weekends I listen to that when I'm out. I think it could work but mix in a few older acts and other new school artists that don't fit the format of a hot97.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    This dope . Should be more . Hip hop is old enough now
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i listen to more classic songs in general now adays. Most of the time if I aint got music playing through my phone I'm listening to the old school R&B stations
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    There's a new station here in the tristate that plays old school hip hop on the weekends I listen to that when I'm out. I think it could work but mix in a few older acts and other new school artists that don't fit the format of a hot97.

Yeah they should have a "new school" show on the weekends. Its usually the other way around. Most stations play new music all week and have an old school show on the weekends.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Word? what station?
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Word? what station?

103.9 based out of Brooklyn.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Mister Cee is on there (nh)
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's what's up, balance is always needed
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They had one here in Chicago a few years ago, don't know what happened
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They have one down in Philly. Boom 107.9, they play a good mix of old school.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    i listen to more classic songs in general now adays. Most of the time if I aint got music playing through my phone I'm listening to the old school R&B stations

this, I listen to old school R&B more than anything
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Word? what station?

103.9 based out of Brooklyn.< No. I believe it's out of Westchester County NY"

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Word? what station?

103.9 based out of Brooklyn.

adding that to the presets

When I had satellite radio, there was a station called backspin on there. played all 80s hip hop. pops played it all the time. Im not sure if that station is still on tho, I loved it
  • Jao
    Jao Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »

just got back from philly today.. had that station bumpin the whole time i was down there. it was live as ? . everything from Wu, DMX, some old Kanye.. so nice turn on the radio n not here the same 5 songs played over n over again
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    93.3 and 94.5 are the old school hip hop stations in the DFW. I be turnt up every morning on my way 2 work. Actually heard old school UGK chopped and screwed the other day
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How underground do they go?
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Atlanta just got 3 old school hip hop stations in like the last month.

Boom 102.9
    OG 97.9
    and Old school 99.3

We now have a total of 6 Rap stations and 2 R&B stations.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Old school rap >>> new school
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    about 10 years ago i started thinking about this. But i felt that it would never happen because no one would ever listen to the station that plays the new stuff.

I use to have sirius and listened to backspin alot. but i couldnt listen all day because there is alot of old school hiphop that i hate! that rob base ? . N2Deep white boys/mexicans. utfo. white lines. planet rock. c+c music factory. ewww pump the jam pump it up. no sleep til brooklyn. ja rule love songs. knick knack paddy wack.
    Stiff wrote: »
    Atlanta just got 3 old school hip hop stations in like the last month.

Boom 102.9
    OG 97.9
    and Old school 99.3

We now have a total of 6 Rap stations and 2 R&B stations.

thanks. imma try to stream it.

• Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People wanna listen to good music on a mainstream level
    thus old dope tracks that go as hard as any underground track
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigev240 wrote: »

Yeah I think it's Philadelphia and Pennsauken
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a new classic hip-hop station in Dallas. 94.5. I tune in every once in a while to get away from my iPod.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    To be honest with you, the only time I hear new Hip Hop is when I log on to this website and somebody posts a link of something new. Otherwise I bump the classics in my living room.

I've only heard a handful of rap albums from the past 5 years.
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mentioned it in anouther thread already but the station V101.5
    here in Duval changed their format to Old School Hip Hop bout a month or two ago

idk if it was done by popular demand or if the competition with the new "Throwback RnB"
    station 106.5 forced them to switch it up cause they jacked all their listeners lol
    regardless of the reason im glad they switched it up, livin down South i never hear East Coast rap on the radio
    or that classic ? from the 80s/90's from any region for that matter, it was a good move