According To The New York Times, Classic Hip Hop Stations Are Thriving

2»

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man if they just decided to play songs from the early 00s the ratings would climb

I'm tired of hearing trey, Chris Brown, drake and Nicki every 5 mins
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at yall NY ? , "YOOOO! Son, I knew this ? was goin pop off! right neow! Eveething is eveething. Eveething go back to da original start. that's just the a natural mathematics of life. Oll day. nah mean? We told yall da science behind da game comin back to NY, it was just a matter of time. hip hop. word is bonndd."

even though they play more than oldschool NY hip hop on them stations...
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad they doing this cause that current rap radio format has become ? disgrace and embarrassment to hip-hop culture. Sold out an entire culture for money.
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is, it needs to happen. We fans from the the 80's and 90's grew up. We cant listen to the local r&b/hiphop station because its not for us anymore. our time has past. But that also doesnt mean that just because we are approaching 40 and up, that we need to listen to the strickly R&B station as an alternative.

We are people too. Its a demographic that hasnt been touched yet. Radio One should know better. This should have happened in the year 2000. But i feel that more people will listen to a station where 20 years and prior will be the old school, and the rating and numbers for the flagship stations will drop dramatically. But see, so what if that happens: the new old school channel will make up for the drop in revenue if you advertise right. Promote some old school concerts.

We will go out to see BBD, Bobby Brown, and Johnny Gill, and pack the house everytime! A old school hiphop show yearly? krs. slick rick. epmd. kane, rakim, and g rap. RUN DMC. kid and play. salt and pepa. monie lov. audio two.

its there. But, but, BUT.... they will need to pay them accordingly because they arent young dumb kids anymore. and there lies the problem and why it dont happen. The market cant afford the maturity.

Business point of view yall.
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    detcatinva wrote: »
    i listen to more classic songs in general now adays. Most of the time if I aint got music playing through my phone I'm listening to the old school R&B stations

this, I listen to old school R&B more than anything

Quit lying ? ...
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dallas did the same thing a month ago...94.5 went from soul to old school Hip Hop..
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave2one6 wrote: »
    My opinion is, it needs to happen. We fans from the the 80's and 90's grew up. We cant listen to the local r&b/hiphop station because its not for us anymore. our time has past. But that also doesnt mean that just because we are approaching 40 and up, that we need to listen to the strickly R&B station as an alternative.

We are people too. Its a demographic that hasnt been touched yet. Radio One should know better. This should have happened in the year 2000. But i feel that more people will listen to a station where 20 years and prior will be the old school, and the rating and numbers for the flagship stations will drop dramatically. But see, so what if that happens: the new old school channel will make up for the drop in revenue if you advertise right. Promote some old school concerts.

We will go out to see BBD, Bobby Brown, and Johnny Gill, and pack the house everytime! A old school hiphop show yearly? krs. slick rick. epmd. kane, rakim, and g rap. RUN DMC. kid and play. salt and pepa. monie lov. audio two.

its there. But, but, BUT.... they will need to pay them accordingly because they arent young dumb kids anymore. and there lies the problem and why it dont happen. The market cant afford the maturity.

Philadelphia already has a station like that. They're promoting an old school show every week.
  • Dave2one6
    5 Grand wrote: »

Philadelphia already has a station like that. They're promoting an old school show every week.

im in cleveland. it has to catch fire. I go to as many bone thug concerts and small venue shows as much as possible because i still want that old hip hop too. that old hiphop feeling. ya know.

• r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it was so funny 10 years ago when conservatives said their would be no such thing as a old school hip hop station.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im down in Jackson, MS for the week, they even have it going on here. They playing late 80' to the late 90's hip hop
  • Dave2one6
    Im down in Jackson, MS for the week, they even have it going on here. They playing late 80' to the late 90's hip hop

now that just makes my ass itch. they barely, no, they dont even got a BB King station.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is the natural progression of a genre. Hip hop is old enough now where there are older fans that aren't the target audience of the contemporary music. People hit a certain age where they're no longer interested in new music and are fine listening to the music of their day. Older Hip Hop fans have reached that point now. It's good to see that void being filled.
  • Dave2one6
    Stiff wrote: »

I think this is the natural progression of a genre. Hip hop is old enough now where there are older fans that aren't the target audience of the contemporary music. People hit a certain age where they're no longer interested in new music and are fine listening to the music of their day. Older Hip Hop fans have reached that point now. It's good to see that void being filled.

Thank you for saying everything i just said, but only in your own words.

I have a great-aunt who is 70+ and ALWAYS has the blues playing in her house when she's drinking black velvet. I knew that would be US one day, only with hiphop. now is the time.

• cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have classic hip hop stations ?
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a station out here in atl that plays old school hip hop & r&b, they be jammin

99.3 I think
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »
    There's a new station here in the tristate that plays old school hip hop on the weekends I listen to that when I'm out. I think it could work but mix in a few older acts and other new school artists that don't fit the format of a hot97.

Word? what station?

103.9 based out of Brooklyn.

Is the station in the tune in app?