Robotech: The Macross Saga Appreciation

Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in Lights, Camera, Action!
When I think about Macross Saga, the first thing that comes to mind is, "How in the ? did this ? ever get pass the censors?" The Macross Saga was my first real exposure to Japanimation, Star Blazers was a little before my time, and I didn't ? with Captain Harlock even though I've heard good things about it, and Volton, those a classic just wasn't ? with The Macross Saga.

One of the things that was endearing to about Macross was that it didn't dumb itself dumb for the target demo. Even though Macross aired (for me anyway) at 3:30 in the afternoon, it had some very adult themes. For example, the love triangle between Rick Hunter, Lynn-Minmey, and Lisa Hunter. Originally, Rick was ? with Minmey, then he eventually ended up ? with Lisa. If you're familiar with Macross, Minmey ends up ? with her a cousin, Lynn-Kyle. Yeah that's right, there was an incesteous relationship on afternoon children's television. Also their was an interracial relation between Roy Fokker and Claudia Grant, if I'm not mistaken, there's not another interracial relationship in animation until we get to Jon Stewart and Shayera on JLA.

Another cool aspect about Macross and Robotech on the whole was the villains weren't on some dumb ? . For example, on G. I. JOE COBRA Commander was all around ? up, on Transformers (G1) Streamscream stayed ? with Megatron and ? up victory, but on Robotech the villains were cool and you got the feeling that they weren't to be ? with, as in the case of Miriya Sterling, Breetai, Exedore, they're likable and respectable, villains with honor so to speak.

Then the most shocking thing about Robotech, ? died on that ? . One of the most annoying things about G. I. JOE was the COBRA pilots that always seem to parachute to safety, that didn't happen on Robotech, when those missiles hit, ? blew up with the pilot in veritech or the Zentradi pod ship. Not only did miscellaneous people die, major characters died, such as Roy Fokker and Ben Dixon. When I originally saw it, I thought Roy was coming back, until a week and a half passed and the ? didn't come back.

Finally, there was the ending to Macross with is the literally the greatest of all time endings to a animated series, Kyron's suicide run on the SDF 1. As great as Bruce Timm and Dwayne McDuffie are and were, I don't that they're ? with the work Carl Macek did on The Robotech Series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWNXJ2vnW0Y

The Death of Roy Fokker @ 20:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCATBVDGgY

Death of Ben Dixon @ 1:52 Not going to get ? disintegrating in today's cartoons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI_ozzN-isQ

Kyron's suicide run on the SDF 1@ 19:00, @20:00 The GOAT LINE!

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man i havent seen this ? in years. I can hardly remember it.

Rex you ever seen a show called Guyver? think it was a ? anime too. It was violent as ? .
  • Maximus Rex
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Man i havent seen this ? in years. I can hardly remember it.

Rex you ever seen a show called Guyver? think it was a ? anime too. It was violent as ? .

I seen it, but it's been a minute.

• KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn. I still remember most of this ? . Ain't seen this ? in yeeears. lol.

Robotech was the GOAT.

*Appreciates*
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's my childhood robotech is on Netflix. the old school speed racer was my intro to Japanimation/anime a lot of extras used to die on that show too. anybody remember the others like tranzor z Ulysses 31 sabre riders and ronan warriors. I don't remember starblazers too much I was a baby back then. is mighty orbots considered anime?
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robotech was my ? as a younging. My older brothers had me watching Starblazers too which is also a good show. ? the original Mobile Suit Gundam though ? was lame.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the GOATS. Yeah this ? was RAW and ahead of its time.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goat my all time fave anime. Lynn minmey was a one hit wonder.
  • Maximus Rex
    satyrone wrote: »

No she wasn't, she had bangers.

• dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stage light splashy, the feelings smashy, my heart and soul belong to you, and I'm here now singing, all bells are ringing, my dream has finally come true, stage fright go away, this is my big day, this is my time to be a STAAAAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!
  • Maximus Rex
    My favorite Minmay song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAwTd3yyNCI

Don't why but this just makes a ? feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.
  • satyrone

Stage light splashy, the feelings smashy, my heart and soul belong to you, and I'm here now singing, all bells are ringing, my dream has finally come true, stage fright go away, this is my big day, this is my time to be a STAAAAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!

I cant......LMAOOoOO. Since this thread got made that song been in my head
  • Maximus Rex
    edited February 2013
    When they get the legal ? sort out, The Robotech Saga has the potential to be a great franchise, my fear is that producers and screen writers will soften and change the source material for a movie. For example, will screenwriters ? Roy Fokker, or even include him in the movie considering the fact he does get killed. Are screenwriters willing to include the interracial relationships between the lead character and one of the major supporting characters, Roy and Claudia and Rick and Minmay? Will they show that Max is best pilot in the Skull Squadron? Will they make Captain Global a white dude and change the gender of the SDF 1 bridge crew? Would they allow Claudia (black woman,) to remain as the SDF 1's executive officer, (second-in-command) Would Minmay still be a Chinese-Japanese chick played by an Asian actress, or would the powers-at-be do what they did with The Last Airbender and change Lynn-Minmay to a white girl named "Lynn May Smith," or some ? .

Robotech has a lot of intricate and subtle ? that makes it tick and some what I mentioned are a few of those things. When they get the legal ? figured and Toby Macguire gets to finally do Robotech I hope he keeps those things in mind.
  • satyrone
    its a known fact that hollywood touching anything great they ruin and destroy it. if they do make a Robotech movie the whole cast would be white. they may change the gender of the sdf-1 crew but they could keep it. dont know how they would do a lot of things. they would have to cut alot of ? out. that whole first saga had ALOT of story and ? going on.
  • satyrone
    oh and are they really talking about possible bringing this to the big screen??
  • Maximus Rex
    oh and are they really talking about possible bringing this to the big screen??

Let's put in the context of superhero genre of films, were they REALLY talking about bringing Marvel and DC properties to the big before we actually seen a finished product, yes. For example, the Superman franchise, there were always talks of reviving the franchise, Nick Cage was suppose to trilogy based on The Death of Superman story arc and Kevin Smith pitched a project. The same analogy applies to Robotech Toby Macguire has the rights to what we know in the U. S. as The Robotech Saga; however (as with Marvel,) there's a byzantine legal labyrinth that needs to be sorted out before a Robotech film project can come to fruition. From what I was reading on the Robotech site is that the cats that own the rights to Macross for lack of a better word "hate," "really don't want to say hate, because I understand where they're coming from," on another other projects which why were ever got a finished Sentinels and other projects. Just as with the JLA movie, the question isn't "if," we'll get a Robotech, but when.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump because I was watching it earlier.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been meaning to get into this lately, goat'd
  • Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like Ronan Warriors