Lord Jamar Says It Would Be Racist For Iggy Azalea To Win The 'Best Rap Album' Grammy...

Comments

• twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't even televise the rap category. Shows how much they respect the rap genre.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    Grammys are wack regardless. It would be a good look for them to give it to common though, it would mean they have some sense.

It would more-so mean they're coppin' pleas in light of all the negative press surrounding Iggy, and white people in general this year.

Had we not have had a highly publicized Eric Garner situation this year, and Hip-Hop fans as a whole systematically rejecting the white ? , they'd have no problem awarding either her or Em.

You know what's even more interesting though? Iggy has low-lowkey been trying to distance her self from the whole Hip-Hop label. Ya'll peep this ? 's tweet in response to Q-Tip? She's basically trying to say that her music is no longer Hip-Hop, but is instead it's own lane simply influenced by Hip-Hop.

So peep game. If this ? does indeed win, and actively accepts the award, she will indirectly be painting herself as a ? hypocrite. I'm willing to put money down right now that she will not give a flying ? about the corner she just painted herself in, and will just up and grab that little gold statue like, "? it. A Grammy is a grammy."

And Tip's ? ass will cheese his way on up the stage with her, with not a single ounce of integrity or ? to give.

So basically, it doesn't matter who they award? Should it even matter?

If she's distancing herself from Hip Hop, isn't that good news? I mean, many said she wasn't Hip Hop to begin with and continued discussing her as if she were.

To be honest, Iggy isn't even a factor. The machine is. That's the real enemy here. If Iggy was removed from music and all her music was pulled from the shelves, there'd be another artist placed in her position. There's been a lot of artists that came in the game with gimmicks, weren't authentic, and basically used Hip Hop to position themselves for something else. She isn't the first, won't be the last.

No my ? . It would only be good news if she had made this distinction BEFORE she popped. She can't have it both ways. She's already ? famous for making Hip-Hop (I'm using the term loosely). She's already been nominated for a Hip-Hop grammy, and she hasn't turned down the nomination.

This entire situation is like a parallel to white people who like to say the n-word.

These ? wanna be down when its cool. They wanna be a ? so bad, and exchange the slang when it's convenient, but as soon as the police pull up they are no longer a ? . When they walk into that job interview, they are no longer J-Swizzy. They are John Smith; white skin and all.

Same rules apply here. If she wants to profit off of Hip-Hop, and get nominated for awards in the genre, then all the criticisms she's received (white privilige, doesn't write her own rhymes, wack MC, FAKE ? ) are merited. But as soon as people start pulling her card, she defaults to the wack ass "I'm just an entertainer" excuse.

No machine works without a proper and willing conduit or host. This ? knew exactly what she was doing, and didn't give a ? as long as she got famous in the end. They tried to do the same thing with Macklemore and almost prevailed, but as soon as he realized he wasn't getting the respect in the game he felt he deserved, he went dark and began to reposition himself in the culture. Which brings us to the Hot 97 interview he did this morning, and him coming out to protest for Eric Garner.

I agree that she shouldn't play the victim role when she's called out. If she wants to be a part of the culture, then she has to accept the burden as well as the benefits that it comes with. It's not something that should be turned on/off when it's convenient.

Her be a willing conduit or host makes her no less of a puppet. She's still expendable. Same goes for Macklemore. His repositioning may get him respect, but his place in the culture will still depend on the music that he makes.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grammy awards = popularity contest
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for her to win. I bet they don't even air the award
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanilla ice is to blame.
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Grammy's are white washed anyway. I dont even watch that ? . White america never gave a ? about us. But when it comes to rap they wanna copy us. Iggy will win cuz the suburbs love her.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trashboat wrote: »
    If it doesn't go to Run the Jewels or J Cole the grammy's ain't ? ... for the trillionth year in a row

Neither of those albums are nominated. Coles because it came out past the nomination date. I feel like he'll get a nod next year.

This is the first year I wont be watching (I just like to see what the performances are like)
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I don't have anything against white people in hiphop. They always been there to an extent. I have issues with White people mocking and actively marginalizing Black people. This is my issue with Iggy. She is a real cb4 rapper and in hiphop, that has always been a taboo. Vanilla Ice lost his cred for that reason, and Eminem gained more cred from being honest about where he came from. Folks may not care about the grammies, but if whites become the new face of hiphop... period, that show money gonna dry up for black artist.
  • Mr_Vicodin81G
    Mr_Vicodin81G Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen the grammy in more than a decade post
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nex gin wrote: »

You know what's even more interesting though? Iggy has low-lowkey been trying to distance her self from the whole Hip-Hop label. Ya'll peep this ? 's tweet in response to Q-Tip? She's basically trying to say that her music is no longer Hip-Hop, but is instead it's own lane simply influenced by Hip-Hop.

I really hope people are smarter than that though. If that broad successfully convinces white America that she is doing something "different"......smmfh.

Dog, we've put waaay to much blind faith in white America before, to think that they won't.

Truth be told, if the ? really feels what she tweeted about was true, then she shouldn't have even accepted her ? nomination, let alone the inevitable reward she's about to receive.

Bruh you already know. I hate to say it, but I have zero confidence that the prominent "face of hip hop" won't look like Igloo and Wacklemore in the next 10-15 years. The true origin and identity of the culture gets diluted & fades w/ each new generation. I hope I'm wrong, but history isn't on our side.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really hope people are smarter than that though. If that broad successfully convinces white America that she is doing something "different"......smmfh.

Dog, we've put waaay to much blind faith in white America before, to think that they won't.

Truth be told, if the ? really feels what she tweeted about was true, then she shouldn't have even accepted her ? nomination, let alone the inevitable reward she's about to receive.

Bruh you already know. I hate to say it, but I have zero confidence that the prominent "face of hip hop" won't look like Igloo and Wacklemore in the next 10-15 years. The true origin and identity of the culture gets diluted & fades w/ each new generation. I hope I'm wrong, but history isn't on our side.

I think they already did that with Eminem. Remember when Rolling Stone called him King of Hip Hop? As a culture I think we give too much esteem to mainstream validation. We need to shun all that ? and just do our own thing. Grammy's could give best rapper to Katy Perry this year for all I care. ? 'em.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    damn that list looks meh i remember the albums back ? was hard as ? to make a pick
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone who considers themselves Hip-Hop need to just boycott the ? Grammy's this year.

? bending over and taking it two years in a row, B.

I stopped ? with award shows period after they stopped giving talented artists awards
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    Grammys are wack regardless. It would be a good look for them to give it to common though, it would mean they have some sense.

It would more-so mean they're coppin' pleas in light of all the negative press surrounding Iggy, and white people in general this year.

Had we not have had a highly publicized Eric Garner situation this year, and Hip-Hop fans as a whole systematically rejecting the white ? , they'd have no problem awarding either her or Em.

So peep game. If this ? does indeed win, and actively accepts the award, she will indirectly be painting herself as a ? hypocrite. I'm willing to put money down right now that she will not give a flying ? about the corner she just painted herself in, and will just up and grab that little gold statue like, "? it. A Grammy is a grammy."

And Tip's ? ass will cheese his way on up the stage with her, with not a single ounce of integrity or ? to give.

So basically, it doesn't matter who they award? Should it even matter?

If she's distancing herself from Hip Hop, isn't that good news? I mean, many said she wasn't Hip Hop to begin with and continued discussing her as if she were.

To be honest, Iggy isn't even a factor. The machine is. That's the real enemy here. If Iggy was removed from music and all her music was pulled from the shelves, there'd be another artist placed in her position. There's been a lot of artists that came in the game with gimmicks, weren't authentic, and basically used Hip Hop to position themselves for something else. She isn't the first, won't be the last.

No my ? . It would only be good news if she had made this distinction BEFORE she popped. She can't have it both ways. She's already ? famous for making Hip-Hop (I'm using the term loosely). She's already been nominated for a Hip-Hop grammy, and she hasn't turned down the nomination.

This entire situation is like a parallel to white people who like to say the n-word.

These ? wanna be down when its cool. They wanna be a ? so bad, and exchange the slang when it's convenient, but as soon as the police pull up they are no longer a ? . When they walk into that job interview, they are no longer J-Swizzy. They are John Smith; white skin and all.

Same rules apply here. If she wants to profit off of Hip-Hop, and get nominated for awards in the genre, then all the criticisms she's received (white privilige, doesn't write her own rhymes, wack MC, FAKE ? ) are merited. But as soon as people start pulling her card, she defaults to the wack ass "I'm just an entertainer" excuse.

No machine works without a proper and willing conduit or host. This ? knew exactly what she was doing, and didn't give a ? as long as she got famous in the end. They tried to do the same thing with Macklemore and almost prevailed, but as soon as he realized he wasn't getting the respect in the game he felt he deserved, he went dark and began to reposition himself in the culture. Which brings us to the Hot 97 interview he did this morning, and him coming out to protest for Eric Garner.

the-rock-clapping.gif
  • OAKLAND or Die
    OAKLAND or Die Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Who ? I have not listen to the radio since 97
    So I would not know her songs
    But I bet she is trash as hell lol
  • ikey_baby
    ikey_baby Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Did you'll even look at competition c'mon son non of those albums where critically acclaimed or sold any major records. Her only competition is eminem & he is white what if he wins is it still racist. Muthafuckas hate that ? that much huh. Stupid ? talking about rioting for what because she beat out wiz khalifa & school boy q lol. If you'll mad because a white person may win that award 2 years in a row than be more specific please. Iggy has officially become hip-hops punching bag lol.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont see iggy lasting very long everybody hates this ? .
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ikey_baby wrote: »
    Did you'll even look at competition c'mon son non of those albums where critically acclaimed or sold any major records. Her only competition is eminem & he is white what if he wins is it still racist. Muthafuckas hate that ? that much huh. Stupid ? talking about rioting for what because she beat out wiz khalifa & school boy q lol. If you'll mad because a white person may win that award 2 years in a row than be more specific please. Iggy has officially become hip-hops punching bag lol.

If you go in a forest you only see the trees, don't you?
  • ikey_baby
    ikey_baby Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Like Water wrote: »

If you go in a forest you only see the trees, don't you?

What is that supposed to mean???
  • eternal soldier

Critical acclaim don't mean ? to them when it comes to hip hop.

GKMC was critically acclaimed by almost every blog and magazine when it came out and lost to Macklemore's album..

You sound like you're sucjing on her ? to keep it funky with you.
  • eternal soldier
    *sucking (pause)

Mobile edit 2015!
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So nobody felt that Childish Gambino album? I think it should actually win.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know if it would be a racist issue..I would say the people who vote are not qualified to make the choice in any rap category