Video: New video shows cops handcuffing Tamir Rice’s sister after gunning down her brother.. SMDH...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in The Social Lounge
rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/new-video-shows-cops-handcuffing-tamir-rices-sister-after-gunning-down-her-brother/
New video shows cops handcuffing Tamir Rice’s sister after gunning down her brother

Police wrestled a 14-year-old girl to the ground and handcuffed her as she rushed to aid her younger brother after police shot him in a Cleveland park, according to newly released video from the incident.

Officers shot and killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice on Nov. 22 as he sat outside Cudell Recreation Center, where 911 callers reported someone with a gun.

The sixth-grader had been playing with a pellet gun before officers pulled up in a police cruiser and shot him seconds later.

The family’s attorney described the full-length video “shocking and outrageous,” reported the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

“This has to be the cruelest thing I’ve ever seen,” said attorney Walter Madison.

City officials finally released the 30-minute video Thursday, and it backs claims made by the children’s mother that officers stopped her daughter from aiding her brother – and that police failed to render first aid for several minutes.

The video shows rookie Officer Timothy Loehmann help his partner, Officer Frank Garmback, restrain the teenage girl and place her in the back of a police cruiser about 10 feet away from her brother as he lay dying on the ground.

Police stood around the wounded boy, including one who stood with hands on hips as an FBI agent arrived and administered first aid four minutes after officers shot the child.

Paramedics arrived eight minutes after the boy was shot, and he was taken away on a stretcher 13 minutes after the shooting.

Tamir later died at a hospital.

The family’s attorney said officers showed “overwhelming indifference” to the child they had shot.

“This is the level of service that makes people very upset and distrustful of law enforcement,” Madison said.

The attorney said the video raises additional questions about Loehmann, who was hired by Cleveland police despite his firing by another department in 2012 and was turned down for a job by several other police agencies.

“This video really explains why,” Madison said. “This is not the professional standard we would expect or deserve, and the city of Cleveland put him in the position to allow this to happen.”

Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson has turned the investigation over to the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Department, which will then hand over its evidence to Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty’s office.

Prosecutors will then present the case to a grand jury, which will determine whether any charges will be filed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZMuSwzTeA

Comments

• D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is some hurtful ? to watch.

They planned on shooting that boy.

Since when do the police just ride up that close to a supposed armed suspect? Then look how quick they shot him after they arrived?

He never had a chance
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • stringer bell

The video corroborates earlier statements by Samaria Rice and local witnesses who said that police handcuffed Tamir's sister and did not immediately administer first aid to the wounded Tamir.

Tamir's sister emerges on screen at about the 1:40 mark, where she's promptly met by officer Frank Garmback and pushed to the ground like a tailback meeting a linebacker in open field.

It's unclear when Tamir first receives medical attention. For most of this video, growing numbers of police officers appear to be milling around. One officer begins cordoning off the area with caution tape at about the 11:30 mark.

As in the original video of the shooting released by police, the most striking element (other than the immediacy with which Timothy Loehmann discharges his weapon) is Loehmann in the immediate wake of the shooting.

Though the video is choppy — only about two frames per second — Loehmannn is clearly in distress. Watch from :30 to 1:40: At first it looks like he's getting in a defensive position behind the cruiser, but then he leans against it, unsteady on his legs. He puts his head into his hands, crouches, grabs his side and almost heaves (is he vomiting?). He stands and tries to compose himself.

These are not the actions of a trained police officer who made a split-second decision and guessed wrong; these are the actions of a jumpy rookie who knows he made a huge mistake.

I found a bit of a timeline of the video.. For ? who want to skim through the video...
  • h8rhurta
    h8rhurta Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not watching it! They think that because the 'law says they can, they should'. At some point you have to have and use common sense or have human compassion. Laws are about who can stretch, bend, and interpret them the best to suit their needs. Denzel said 'it ain't what you know, it's what you can prove', but that's not even true. You can prove it, but if they say it ain't so, then it ain't so. Now the evidence is not even evidence. It's just the living person's account (after they've rehearsed it) vs. 'dead men tell no tales and character assassination'.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »

Since when do the police just ride up that close to a supposed armed suspect? Then look how quick they shot him after they arrived?

He never had a chance

Right. They rolled right up to the child, hopped out of the car and shot him immediately. It all took less than 2 seconds. No assessing the situation. No "Put the gun down". No "Freeze! Put your hands up". No nothing......just hop out the car and start shooting. I don't see how anybody can look at this video and make excuses for the cops.........but guess what.....they will and already have started making excuses for the cops just as they always do. I remember reading the comments on some site several weeks ago where a journalist was making the same argument about how quickly they shot the kid, and the people commenting gave zero ? . They were saying ridiculous ? like "well he shouldn't have been pointing a toy gun at people" and "oh well he would've grown up to be a criminal anyway..."..........you know the usual racist ? . The cop who shot Tamir was judged unfit for duty back in 2012 and fired from another police department. The trigger happy bastard couldn't even pass the sheriff's exam. Watch this cop walk away scott free too...smh
  • D. Morgan
    nex gin wrote: »

He never had a chance

Right. They rolled right up to the child, hopped out of the car and shot him immediately. It all took less than 2 seconds. No assessing the situation. No "Put the gun down". No "Freeze! Put your hands up". No nothing......just hop out the car and start shooting. I don't see how anybody can look at this video and make excuses for the cops.........but guess what.....they will and already have started making excuses for the cops just as they always do. I remember reading the comments on some site several weeks ago where a journalist was making the same argument about how quickly they shot the kid, and the people commenting gave zero ? . They were saying ridiculous ? like "well he shouldn't have been pointing a toy gun at people" and "oh well he would've grown up to be a criminal anyway..."..........you know the usual racist ? . The cop who shot Tamir was judged unfit for duty back in 2012 and fired from another police department. The trigger happy bastard couldn't even pass the sheriff's exam. Watch this cop walk away scott free too...smh

I try not to read the comments sections of most articles I read cause the ? just oozes racism and bias. I don't see how a black person can read those comments and think white people overall care about us.

Those comments let you know they don't see any black person as a human being.

The comment that gets me the most is "if your not a criminal and doing nothing wrong you shouldn't have nothing to worry or be afraid of the police about just do what they say and everything will be fine."

Do these people not see the articles about men of all races not just black men being freed from prison after 20,30, 40+ years for crimes they never committed?

? is just crazy
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shot him within seconds then took 15 minutes to help him after they shot him with a toy gun
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not watching that, it can't get any worse than some cops pulling a drive-by on a kid.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what we should be outraged about. This child was a target by demons in human skin man. Never forget they used to feed toddlers and newborns to alligators in the swamps during slave times. These are the same folks who are our politicians lawyers doctors teachers bosses co workers and guys and gals that we communicate with on a daily
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pigs detained the sister in the vehicle RIGHT NEXT to her brother's dying body? Classy.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The police blurred out their own faces in the video
  • Trillfate
    edited January 2015

He never had a chance

I try not to read the comments sections of most articles I read cause the ? just oozes racism and bias. I don't see how a black person can read those comments and think white people overall care about us.

The comment that gets me the most is "if your not a criminal and doing nothing wrong you shouldn't have nothing to worry or be afraid of the police about just do what they say and everything will be fine."

Do these people not see the articles about men of all races not just black men being freed from prison after 20,30, 40+ years for crimes they never committed?

? is just crazy
    i feel the exact opposite of the bold.. sometimes i skip the article and go straight to the comments

i read that ? to educate myself on the psyche of the Enemy...

i'm amazed at the way they sadistically spin the facts and attempt to justify the unjustifiable
  • stringer bell
    The police blurred out their own faces in the video

Thats because they care more about protecting themselves then others...
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trillfate wrote: »

He never had a chance

? is just crazy
    i feel the exact opposite of the bold.. sometimes i skip the article and go straight to the comments

i'm amazed at the way they sadistically spin the facts and attempt to justify the unjustifiable

I do the same thing. Reading those unfiltered, unapologetic comments can be both frustrating and enlightening. Aside from the obvious trolls...you really get to see how some whites view us. I guarantee those same posters go straight from smiling in their black co-workers faces to posting hate filled "? -rants" on social media. It also gives you insight into the true complexity of the problems that we face in this society.
  • D. Morgan

He never had a chance

? is just crazy

So you can read the comments sections in articles and see how a black person can see how white people care about us in a good way?

Explain that one please.

Their actions educate much better than their words can IMO
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

He never had a chance

? is just crazy

Glad to see I'm not the only one who does that ?
  • Trillfate

He never had a chance

? is just crazy

I do the same thing. Reading those unfiltered, unapologetic comments can be both frustrating and enlightening. Aside from the obvious trolls...you really get to see how some whites view us. I guarantee those same posters go straight from smiling in their black co-workers faces to posting hate filled "? -rants" on social media. It also gives you insight into the true complexity of the problems that we face in this society.
    co-sign
    they're also the same ones who serve on juries for the trials of the shooters...

He never had a chance

? is just crazy

So you can read the comments sections in articles and see how a black person can see how white people care about us in a good way?

Explain that one please.

nah that wasnt my point at all..
    i was simply saying its a must i read the comments on blue on black shootings/injustice regardless of their nature...

but there Are some righteous whites in those comment sections condemning the indifference displayed by cops and the bias comments of the bigots... thats refreshing to read
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smh.... This the ? up world we live in . They did this to ? children.. man this ? got me in all my feelings
  • D. Morgan

He never had a chance

? is just crazy

co-sign
    they're also the same ones who serve on juries for the trials of the shooters...

He never had a chance

? is just crazy

Explain that one please.

nah that wasnt my point at all..
    i was simply saying its a must i read the comments on blue on black shootings/injustice regardless of their nature...

but there Are some righteous whites in those comment sections condemning the indifference displayed by cops and the bias comments of the bigots... thats refreshing to read

I know that wasn't your point but the part of my post that you bolded makes it look like that is what you are saying.

I read them as well but that is also why I said "try not to" because the ? crazy, racist and ? me off.

The whites that do acknowledge the ? up ? other whites are saying and doing doesn't do ? for me cause they are so far and inbtween that you can barely find them. Also in the end when it comes down to it they will always choose their fellow white man whether they are right or wrong.

Just how I see it.
  • stringer bell
    cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/01/cleveland_police_detained_tami.html
    Cleveland police detained Tamir Rice's sister to control chaotic shooting scene, union says

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland police officers involved in the shooting of Tamir Rice handcuffed and detained the boy's 14-year-old sister to maintain control of a "chaotic" shooting scene, according to the president of the police union.

"She was wild and out of control," Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association president Steve Loomis said. "She is understandably upset, but we have to take control of that scene."

The response comes after the nearly 30 minutes of video first obtained by Northeast Ohio Media Group showed the aftermath of the Nov. 22 shooting outside Cudell Recreation Center.

The new video shows the boy's sister rush toward her wounded brother. She is intercepted by Loehmann's partner Frank Garmback. The girl is knocked to the ground, handcuffed and placed in the back of the police car that stood less than 10 feet from her brother who lay shot.

She remained handcuffed in the back seat for at least 30 minutes, as officers stood around Tamir waiting for paramedics to arrive.

Loomis said in hindsight the officers' actions might seem "insensitive" to some, Garmback and Loehmann had no way of knowing the girl was Tamir's sister, and that they were trying to preserve evidence.

"It was a very chaotic scene, as they all are," Loomis said. "We want there to be a transparent and fair investigation, and part of that includes maintaining the integrity of the shooting scene."

The video also showed officers stood around the boy as he lay shot on the ground. About four minutes passes before a man in plain clothes — a medically-trained FBI agent who was nearby — shows up and renders aid.

Attorneys for the Rice family lambasted the department and the officers for not immediately trying to quell the boy's bleeding.

"No one thinks that it's appropriate to try to save him," Akron-based attorney Walter Madison said. "The first person who does is not affiliated with the Cleveland police department.

"This is the level of service that makes people very upset and distrustful of law enforcement."

The claim is also part of a federal lawsuit filed on behalf of Tamir's estate.

Loomis said officers are not "professional medical caregivers" and are only given about four hours of basic first aid training at the police academy.

"We could seriously hurt you if we do something wrong," Loomis said.

The Cleveland police department's public information officers did not respond to a Friday morning request for comment on the department's medical training.

The Northeast Ohio Media Group filed a public records request for the department's general police orders on administering aid. City officials have not responded.

This pigs never take responsibility there's always an excuse...
  • Trillfate
    edited January 2015
    i swear to ? ? , steve loomis is Satan himself...
    "She was wild and out of control," Cleveland Police Patrolmen's Association president Steve Loomis said. "She is understandably upset, but we have to take control of that scene."

no, your incompetent patrol pig was wild and out of control

there were more pigs restraining the girl than giving aid to the dying 12 year old

"We could seriously hurt you if we do something wrong," Loomis said.

soooo letting him bleed the ? to death is what's best?
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4hrs of basic first aid training? Thats exactly what Ive been saying the whole system needs to be overhauled.

That is not enough why even teach the ? if it's never going to be utilized on duty?

Protect and serve who? You need more first aid training to become a damn life guard.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can watch 4 mins of Chicago Fire and know enough to at least put pressure on the wounds to try and stop the bleeding.