Losing the essence...

Options
ninjasenses
ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
edited September 2010 in The Essence
I used to regularly post on the essence before the make-over went down...however long ago that was. Anyway what the ? happened? This place used to be my spot to find the newest underground ? , now i dont see anything near the caliber of ? we used to post up. there practically no mention of anything underground here anymore. I see nothing about atmosphere, cage, murs, cunninlynguists, aesop rock, POS immortal technique, HISP, cyne, nujabes, shin-ski...the list goes on and on. Where are the true underground heads that used the make this place THE spot for the underground scene? It seems like the essence has lost the 'essence'...lets bring it back.

underground heads, backpackers...what you got?

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    OH I'm around, lol
    But recently I've been buzy!
    I haven't got anything new in a while, make sure you check out:

www.undergroundhiphop.com
    www.rappersiknow.com
    www.producersiknow.com
    www.2dopeboyz.com

and make sure you check up on your favorite artist on their latest projects!!

Right now as far as I've seen, J-Live has a new project out
    http://j-live.bandcamp.com/album/j-live-the-way-that-i-rhyme-poetry-in-motion-single
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hey Ninja, how's it going? It's Kenna/Eloquent, I used to mod this place and do the playlists of the month etc.

Unfortunately, I now have a very busy lifestyle. With my spare time I'd post up all the extra threads but I can no longer.

Allhiphop in general has fallen off/we've gotten older.

I find the best music at undergroundhiphop.com. But the posters are snobby/geeks.

The best place to post on a blog is hiphoplinguistics.com. But it has no forum due to the owner not having the time to mod the place etc.

Anyways, Fashawn is the best artist in my collection at the minute.

RIP to Nujabes aka Jun Seba. Massive loss for hip hop.

I'd be willing to do a 20 track playlist trade with you and trae via pm if you wish. Let me know. Could be a mini playlist of the month.
  • traestar
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Whaddup Eloquent!!

Yea Eloquent was dropping some dope playlists, definitely get at him for that!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Alright Trae, how's things?!

Any new artists to recommend?

Open Mike Eagle released a nice single not so long back, it's stated that the production is lacking on a few sites (for his album) others say he excels and it's a great album. I've not had chance to listen all the way through though.

Another artist I've come to enjoy and is of a particular recommendation to you ninja, as well as you Trae, but you might already be in the know: Lushlife. 'Casette City' is incredibly produced in my opinion.

Finally, another mention for Fashawn's Boy Meets World.
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Hey, What's up ya'll. I just got back on about few weeks after being off since December. Yes, as you can see it is like a ghost town in here. But I do like stay up on the Latest new albums and artists. If you'd like to just send me a message and I can get back to you.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? don't care...
  • traestar
    edited June 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Open Mike Eagle released a nice single not so long back, it's stated that the production is lacking on a few sites (for his album) others say he excels and it's a great album. I've not had chance to listen all the way through though.

Another artist I've come to enjoy and is of a particular recommendation to you ninja, as well as you Trae, but you might already be in the know: Lushlife. 'Casette City' is incredibly produced in my opinion.

Coolin on this side, I as well have been on music hiatus!

That Mike Eagle I may have to check out!

Well I decided over the past few months to visit Fat Beats in Manhattan, shoutout to J57 up there!!
    And his group Brown Bag AllStars are really getting that exposure as of late, recommended to check out.

I'm looking for more projects coming from Lushlife, Cassette City is definitely a classic and it actually would appealing to someone
    thats not a big underground fan as well!! Solid album!!

I also have Boy Meets World, I really like that album as well!!
  • ninjasenses
    edited June 2010
    Options
    KENNA!!! thank ? your still on here man. this place used to be the ? and you made it that back in the day. Playlist/artist of the month was the ? , glad your still around. the last good UG ? i heard was that murs album...but it really wasnt even that good.
  • ninjasenses
    edited June 2010
    Options

I found lush life on myspace awhile back and downloaded some tracks off order of operations, which was dope if you guys havent checked it out. Didnt know he was puttin out new stuff thoug...good lookin
  • renagade410,
    renagade410, Members Posts: 669
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I used to regularly post on the essence before the make-over went down...however long ago that was. Anyway what the ? happened? This place used to be my spot to find the newest underground ? , now i dont see anything near the caliber of ? we used to post up. there practically no mention of anything underground here anymore. I see nothing about atmosphere, cage, murs, cunninlynguists, aesop rock, POS immortal technique, HISP, cyne, nujabes, shin-ski...the list goes on and on. Where are the true underground heads that used the make this place THE spot for the underground scene? It seems like the essence has lost the 'essence'...lets bring it back.

underground heads, backpackers...what you got?

maaaaaan ? it i tried to bring life back to the essence and nobody caared so i said ? it lol.....hit me up tho if u lookin for new artist i visit the site daily
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    Options
    maaaaaan ? it i tried to bring life back to the essence and nobody caared so i said ? it lol.....hit me up tho if u lookin for new artist i visit the site daily

That's only because we've lost the posters that we used to have though, if you think about it, there's only about 5 or 6 posters who check here regularly. If Ninja, Trae, you and myself put it together regularly then I'm all for it.

We need about ten to really get it kicking or it ends up with personal conversations going on in threads that stray off topic.

Anyways, I'm going to put together a 20 track mix and I'll drop a thread with it. If we all do the same that'd be great. Using mediafire.com.

Also if we each make a thread about our artist of the minute then at least we'll have 8 new threads and go from there. If you all sign to say that you'll do it then we'll at least have something to work with.
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm fairly new here and I always check the essence, but it's pretty dead. The essence should be way more active than this and If you need any help then just drop a pm. Peace.
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Check your pm beats.
  • traestar
    edited June 2010
    Options
    That's only because we've lost the posters that we used to have though, if you think about it, there's only about 5 or 6 posters who check here regularly. If Ninja, Trae, you and myself put it together regularly then I'm all for it.

We need about ten to really get it kicking or it ends up with personal conversations going on in threads that stray off topic.

Anyways, I'm going to put together a 20 track mix and I'll drop a thread with it. If we all do the same that'd be great. Using mediafire.com.

Also if we each make a thread about our artist of the minute then at least we'll have 8 new threads and go from there. If you all sign to say that you'll do it then we'll at least have something to work with.

Word up you can count on me to be checkin in from time to time...

oh BTW, definitely check out this Elzhi mixtape if not already, it's pretty ill!
    http://elzhi.com/
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sounds good to me, I'll drop a few threads in the next few days..

Thanks Trae, didn't realise he had a mixtape out!
  • renagade410,
    edited June 2010
    Options
    im down ? i discoverd too many artist that need to be heard
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yea when i first started postin in the IC i would come to the essence becuz i was siked about talkin some underground with some peps but its been dead. so il glad some steps have been take to keep this section goin. like renegade said b4 my post im sure we all got artist that we found that sould be spread around.
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    Word up you can count on me to be checkin in from time to time...

oh BTW, definitely check out this Elzhi mixtape if not already, it's pretty ill!
    http://elzhi.com/
    I'm going to check that out. Elzhi has got mad skills.
  • traestar
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Alot of my peoplez from Spitkicker have released alot of material too

Shoutout to Treklife who recently his track "So Supreme" was featured on ESPN
    check his projects on http://trek-life.net/

The producer of that track is Oddisee
    He's currently on tour with Diamond District so
    keep up with him at http://oddiseemusic.blogspot.com/

J-Live is always buzy, either touring or working on a mixtape
    check out his projects on http://j-live.bandcamp.com/

Another thing, ever since Guru was sick from that cardiac arrest, I've been checking out
    http://www.djpremierblog.com/
    check out this radio show thats also on Shade 45
  • ninjasenses
    edited June 2010
    Options
    how bout this, kenna you take this week(or next whatever) mixtape...i got next and if anyone else wants to step up that'd be great. lets get this ? goin again...
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sounds cool Ninja, I'm on it...
  • renagade410,
    edited June 2010
    Options
    im down gonna create a mix of alot of underground artist some people may have heard of em some may not have

now i am a pretty busy guy so i cant guarantee its all gonna flow perfectly like how eloquents used to be but it will be dope material and i will try to put together artist that im sure nobody has heard of or just ones that may be fairly known but dope none the less
  • RuffDraft
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Thanks Renegade, funnily enough, I spent quite a bit of time making this playlist flow haha

As long as we get the music :tu

I am uploading as we speak, but need to go to sleep now and then go to work in the morning, so I'll have it up within 24 hours.... I think it's a good mix!
  • Baraka Blue
    Baraka Blue Members Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    still got the essence. Baraka Blue new album ft. Mos Def and many more www.barakabluemusic.com Download for free
  • ninjasenses
    edited June 2010
    Options
    im down gonna create a mix of alot of underground artist some people may have heard of em some may not have

now i am a pretty busy guy so i cant guarantee its all gonna flow perfectly like how eloquents used to be but it will be dope material and i will try to put together artist that im sure nobody has heard of or just ones that may be fairly known but dope none the less

week1: kenna
    week2:ninja
    week3:renagade

sound good?

good to see everyone taking apart in something we all love...keep it up!!

ps - we dont have to go all out with massive amount of tracks and album art like we used to...also eventually maybe we can do playlist of the month again if ? gets goin.