MD Couple In Trouble With The Law For Letting Their Kids Walk To Playground Unsupervised

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in The Social Lounge
kids-walk-around-pond-800x430.gif

Danielle and Alexander Meitiv say that their neighbors have called the local police and Child Protective Services because their children, ages 10 and 6, have been spotted walking to two area playgrounds without adult supervision. One playground is a mile away from the Meitiv’s home in Silver Springs, while the other is just two blocks down.

In a letter to Reason.com, Danielle Meitiv recalls a December 20 incident involving the police:

“On a Saturday afternoon in December, my husband, Alexander, gave our kids permission to walk home from the local playground. I was out of town at the time. When they’d walked about halfway, a Montgomery County Police patrol car pulled up. A ‘helpful’ neighbor had called 911 to report unaccompanied children walking outside. Our kids were brought home in a police cruiser.

At the door the police officer asked to see my husband’s ID, but did not explain why. When he refused, she called for backup.

A total of six patrol cars showed up.”
The Meitivs say that law enforcement authorities and social services representatives have questioned their children while at school, and without their knowledge or consent and that the investigation infringes on their rights as parents to raise their children in a manner that they see fit. The parents also say the authorities asked their 10-year-old son what he would do if seized by a strange adult. According to Alexander Meitiv, they told his son that “there are creeps out there that are just waiting to grab children if they’re walking by themselves.”

Since the school visit, Montgomery County Child Protective Services have visited the Meitiv’s at their home and asked them to sign paperwork, which the Meitiv’s said was called a “safety plan” pledging they would not leave their children unsupervised. When the Meitivs refused to sign the papers without it being reviewed by an attorney, they say the case worker announced that they will take their children “right away” and proceeded to contact the local police.

Alexander Meitiv is a physicist with the National Institutes of Health, Danielle is an author and a former climate scientist for the Clean Air Task Force.

State laws in Maryland prohibit children under 8-years of age to be unattended in an automobile or a home, but there are no laws that reference supervision while children outdoors and away from the home. Also, state laws say that a child must be at least aged 13 to supervise a younger child. When asked about Meitiv’s case by USA Today, Child Protective Services refused to talk about it, instead referring the reporter to the state’s laws.

The Meitivs say they believe in “free-range” parenting, a movement that counters “helicopter” parenting, where children are controlled and monitored continuously. They say that their children have proven to them that they’re responsible and they that they believe their style of parenting teaches their children self reliance.

“I grew up in New York City in the ‘70s and nobody hesitated to let their kids walk around. The only thing that’s changed between then and now is fear,” says Danielle. “The world is actually even safer than when I was a child, and I just want to give them the same freedom and independence that I had — basically an old-fashioned childhood.”

There have been other instances of parents getting into legal trouble for letting their children walk outside without adult supervision. This summer, a single mother in Port St. Lucie, Fla was arrested for letting her son, 7, walk to the park.

In July, a 46-year-old McDonald’s worker and single mother was arrested for letting her 9-year-old daughter play at a local playground while she worked during the day.

Debra Harrell was arrested after other parents observed her daughter playing without supervision and called police. Harrell was charged with unlawful conduct toward a child, a felony in South Carolina. Evidently, Harrell didn’t have the money to pay for a nanny.

The website Free Range Kids cites many other incidents of overreach by Protective Services workers when responding to incidents when children are outdoors and playing while unsupervised by an adult.

“CPS is applying legal standards that are hopelessly vague, and erring on the side of ‘safety,’ by removing many children each year from families who have not mistreated them, and who have not come to harm, but who are nonetheless deemed to be ‘at risk,’” says author Lenore Skenazy, a former New York Daily News columnist who runs the Free Range Kids website.

Comments

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, this is ? .

One of those lil' kids is 10. By then, I was walking all around town on my dolo, but they can't go to a park without the law getting called? FOH.

And people wonder why kids these days are pussified beyond comprehension. ? -ass adults begat ? -ass kids.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think letting them walk a mile alone is a bit much, bit nothing to call the ? cops on them for. That's their choice. And 2 BLOCKS AWAY? ? outta here. if I'm them and I know which neighbor called the cops, I'm like 'Hey, thanks for your concern. But my kids are allowed to walk to the park by themselves. No need for you to concern yourself with the fact that they are doing so unsupervised. Thanks.'
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I get what the parents are saying and all, but I ain't letting my 10 y/o take my 6 y/o to a park a mile away without supervision. The world just ain't that clean. I get that they might make the trip 100 times without incident, but it only takes that 1 time where something goes wrong to ruin your life.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nggas mad. Yea ok. Its all good til one them kids get Mystic River'd. (Do ya googles)

Since most of yall dont know that area, let me pass along that 1) aint no mile stretch in Silver Spring thats all residiental. A mile for a playground? Them kids was in the middle of a city, and 2) Its mad illegals out there. Call me racist, idgaf, i dont trust illegals. Them nggas rapin everything in silver Spring.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they can run down parents for kids walking to the park

but cant convict a cop for shooting a kid with a toy gun

me and my sister used to walk to school together and back home when I was 5 and she was 10
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is one of those issues that I'm torn on cause children do indeed get snatched up but when government tentacles start reaching over ? and trying to impose rules on common citizens that's a bunch of ? . The neighbors is on that snitch state ? too, you come to me with concerns don't call ? cps
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ohhhhhh i see...

I thought they elected to go to the closer one...

Didnt pick up on the fact that they chose the one a mile away...

Speed reading fail...

Sorry....baby snatchers...

Doesn't specify which park they went too.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »
    I guess my parents weren't ? then. Who didn't walk/ride bikes far as ? from the crib at that age?

Right, ? used to hop on a bike and be GONE. I'll see you ? when the streetlights come on.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah its too many crazy ? out here today I rather be paranoid than sorry when it comes to these kids. Grown men and women abducting and killing these young folk this is real life.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CPS is such a crock of ? , like someone else said they ? up normal families while neglecting the real cases.... sme ? happens here in Canada.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "CPS take white kids quick" - Chris Rock