Do You Miss Missy Elliott ?

Options
Mrslim1
Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Alot of artist of artist can me gone from the music scene and have people waiting on edge for their music to return ( ie Sade, Maxwell etc ). But is anyone really waiting or checking for a new Missy CD ? She is very talented, but was her music just a fad , something that was just hot for a period of time not timeless ?

My Personal Feelings on Missy : I have always thought that Missy was a female version of R.Kelly from the aspect of an artist with undeniable talent but limits that talent to an extent just to be hot or have a radio hit. Its not like she hasn't proven with some of her past music and writing credits that she has the ability to put out a better product. IMO in the long run that hurts your music legacy and minimizes the personal connection with your fans that respect your for your musical ability.

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Nope, she was a byproduct of Timbaland imo. Who couldn't rhyme on those Timbaland beats, even Magoo sounded good on that ? .
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    no...............................
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yea, I do. She was unique, especially in the face of female rappers, and singing wise actually had a really nice tone.Jay-Z and Missy are the 2 artist most overdue for a Greatest Hits album in the U.S. IMO. Jay's is coming, but Missy's needs to remind people just how much hot ? she put out. It would look something like this....all songs that appeared on an actual album with her as the lead artist and none a "stretch" to be considered a "hit" really. I think its pretty impressive.

1. The Rain
    2. Sock it To Me
    3. Beep Me 911
    4. Hit Em Wit the Hee
    5. Take Away
    6. She's a ?
    7. Hot Boyz
    8. All In My Grill
    9. Get ur Freak On
    10. One Minute Man
    11. 4 My People
    12. Work It
    13. Gossip Folks
    14. Pass That Dutch
    15. I'm Really Hot
    16. Lost Control
    17. We Run This
    18. Ching-a-ling
  • Cake4real
    Cake4real Members Posts: 815
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I liked some of her songs but I'm not really checking for her
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I think she became played out... and Tim don't give a ? anymore...
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Missy had some jams but I think I'm past that stage of my life that would appreciate her style.

Edit: maybe if she did a real r & b album. She did have some nice ballads....
  • the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    a lil bit. but she got dropped by tim for justin timberlake. at least she had songs i could tolerate but she'd probably ? minaj
  • mrjun18
    mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Hell no.

Anything she did post "Hot Boyz" is mostly trash.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Yea, I do. She was unique, especially in the face of female rappers, and singing wise actually had a really nice tone.Jay-Z and Missy are the 2 artist most overdue for a Greatest Hits album in the U.S. IMO. Jay's is coming, but Missy's needs to remind people just how much hot ? she put out. It would look something like this....all songs that appeared on an actual album with her as the lead artist and none a "stretch" to be considered a "hit" really. I think its pretty impressive.

1. The Rain
    2. Sock it To Me
    3. Beep Me 911
    4. Hit Em Wit the Hee
    5. Take Away
    6. She's a ?
    7. Hot Boyz
    8. All In My Grill
    9. Get ur Freak On
    10. One Minute Man
    11. 4 My People
    12. Work It
    13. Gossip Folks
    14. Pass That Dutch
    15. I'm Really Hot
    16. Lost Control
    17. We Run This
    18. Ching-a-ling

Agreed, she had that creativity that vibe.. that hiphop.. she had some bangas
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No. I thought "Wake Up" was dope though.
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yea, come to think of it, the game is missing the sound and energy she brought. Timbo + Missy was such a great tag team.
  • RXMasked
    RXMasked Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    In actuality no cause there's always people replacing other people in the industry. I would like to hear another Missy song though.
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    As a rapper? Not much. As a producer? A bit. She did a lot for female R&B artists like, Aaliyah, Lil' Mo, Tweet, Mariah Carey, Mary J.Blige, and so on. Almost all the songs she did with them, I happen to like them all. Not a Missy fan, but those tunes got the kind of vibe I can dig, which makes me a semi-fan.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    inia wrote: »
    As a rapper? Not much. As a producer? A bit. She did a lot for female R&B artists like, Aaliyah, Lil' Mo, Tweet, Mariah Carey, Mary J.Blige, and so on. Almost all the songs she did with them, I happen to like them all. Not a Missy fan, but those tunes got the kind of vibe I can dig, which makes me a semi-fan.

She still does alot of producing though. She just produced Monica's last song "Everything To Me"
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    nah, I'm good.................
  • inia
    inia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    focus wrote:
    She still does alot of producing though. She just produced Monica's last song "Everything To Me"
    Oh I forgot that! Thanks for the reminder. I liked So Gone too!
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    when she left..hip hop died
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    She needs another album preferably entirely produced by Timbaland.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    No, not at all...
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    After seeing her perform last night on the Hip Hop awards, I can say I do miss her. It's about time for her to drop something.
  • TheMusicMajors
    TheMusicMajors Members Posts: 39
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yeah seeing her perform made me remember all those hits she had. Missy is always on some creative stuff specially when working with Timbo.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I wouldn't say I miss her, but Missy did her thing when she was doing music.
  • thenightstalka
    thenightstalka Members Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Nope, not at all. Overrated.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options