So I got an extra 6 grand from student refunds....

Options
2»

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ "extra 6 grand"

Right. Im just sittin back readin some of these replies like

Screen-Shot-2014-11-18-at-12.11.57-PM.png

Add this to the list of 'things i wish old heads woulda explained to me'.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Somehin i'd advise t/s, and everyone to do is contact your lende---for any loan or credit card---and have them give you the exact $ amount in interest you will end up paying on the life of the loan. The ? will shock you. Seeing it in,a dollar amount rather than a percentage makes it stand out. Most card statements have it on the monthly statement. For a student loan you'd peob have to aak
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The money is extra because I have two sources of Tuition Assistance that both pay near 100%. Military and my civilian gig. Neither of which GAF if you *already* have Tuition Assistance.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it is coming from a loan, pay it back to the loan.

If it is coming from "free" funds, then hold on to it like @Sion said.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Give that ? back, aint ? free and if you spend that you will pay it back with interest.

Going to assume you dont NEED the money. Seeing as you are asking these knuckleheads what to do with it.

Man some people are in there 20s with absurd amounts of debt im talking 2-3 cars worth. Real scary when you think about the dating game turning into serious relationships.

Something to think about.
  • HustleTree
    HustleTree Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezy II Red Octobers fam lol
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Are you done school?

If not, that should go towards next semester.
    If you are, split it up. The majority (about $3500-4000) should help pay a BULK payment on your current loans (trust, @lamont is right on it saving you in future interest). Use $750-1000 to make current payments, then save $750-1000 on a rainy day fund or emergency fund.

Whatever's left over, go treat yourself...it really shouldn't be anymore than $500, tho.

I'm sure the ? am tired of paying off my student loan, I pay 320 a month.

Who's your lender? I have about $27K to go and my payments are about $190 per month.

American Education System I had mines consolidated. But I wanna pay that much so I can pay it off faster. I had about 33K. I got 6 years to go
    That's what happened to me, too. I couldn't file taxes on my own till Senior Year, so it really ? me from getting federal loans (apparently, my parents - who were super middle class - made "too much" for me to get fed assistance. ? you VERY much, Dubya Bush), and by the time I graduated, I had three different lenders, which was adding up to about $450 a month. Six months on that ? , and I had to consolidate them, which cut my payments in half. The when my original lender got bought out (twice this has happened now), my payment and interest rates keep going down.

I plan on getting rid of these ? in the next three to four years, so the low monthly payment helps, cause I can always throw on extra.

Yea I lived with my grandparents and only my grandfather worked. And they said he made too much. I even got a grant then they sent a letter saying they recalculated some figures and took it back. Then there was supposed to be a program where DC residents cvould go to any college in VA or MD and not have to pay out of state fees. But that ? ran out of funding so i had to jump through hoops to use one of my aunts addresses in MD to duck those fees

That ? gives you a real intor into life b/c wasn't anybody helping for real you just had to go through that ? ...i almost ? dude up in the financial office...he trying to make jokes outta folks money problems when i'm heere trying to be teh 1st person in my family to graduate college and better myself

I sure hope that FASFA form is less complicated now...that ? was a beast filling out
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blacktux wrote: »
    Give that ? back, aint ? free and if you spend that you will pay it back with interest.

Going to assume you dont NEED the money. Seeing as you are asking these knuckleheads what to do with it.

Man some people are in there 20s with absurd amounts of debt im talking 2-3 cars worth. Real scary when you think about the dating game turning into serious relationships.

Something to think about.

2eahwld.jpg
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man you may only get 1 chance to ever have 6 thou, cross something off your bucket list or always wanted to do list, you got the degree so you know the ? will be paid back one way or another....you pay that 6 back now and get hit by a semi tomorrow....I'm gon show up at your funeral like told ya so.....
  • Ilike2get baked
    Ilike2get baked Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you done school?

If not, that should go towards next semester.
    If you are, split it up. The majority (about $3500-4000) should help pay a BULK payment on your current loans (trust, @lamont is right on it saving you in future interest). Use $750-1000 to make current payments, then save $750-1000 on a rainy day fund or emergency fund.

Whatever's left over, go treat yourself...it really shouldn't be anymore than $500, tho.

I'm sure the ? am tired of paying off my student loan, I pay 320 a month.

Who's your lender? I have about $27K to go and my payments are about $190 per month.

American Education System I had mines consolidated. But I wanna pay that much so I can pay it off faster. I had about 33K. I got 6 years to go
    That's what happened to me, too. I couldn't file taxes on my own till Senior Year, so it really ? me from getting federal loans (apparently, my parents - who were super middle class - made "too much" for me to get fed assistance. ? you VERY much, Dubya Bush), and by the time I graduated, I had three different lenders, which was adding up to about $450 a month. Six months on that ? , and I had to consolidate them, which cut my payments in half. The when my original lender got bought out (twice this has happened now), my payment and interest rates keep going down.

I plan on getting rid of these ? in the next three to four years, so the low monthly payment helps, cause I can always throw on extra.

Yea I lived with my grandparents and only my grandfather worked. And they said he made too much. I even got a grant then they sent a letter saying they recalculated some figures and took it back. Then there was supposed to be a program where DC residents cvould go to any college in VA or MD and not have to pay out of state fees. But that ? ran out of funding so i had to jump through hoops to use one of my aunts addresses in MD to duck those fees

That ? gives you a real intor into life b/c wasn't anybody helping for real you just had to go through that ? ...i almost ? dude up in the financial office...he trying to make jokes outta folks money problems when i'm heere trying to be teh 1st person in my family to graduate college and better myself

I sure hope that FASFA form is less complicated now...that ? was a beast filling out

You ain't never lied about that FAFSA though...filling that ? out wad the Bain of my existence when the school year started