Miss. State Rep. Opposes More School Funding Because 'Welfare Crazy Checks' For 'Blacks' Don't Work

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mississippi-lawmaker-welfare-crazy-checks
Mississippi state Rep. Gene Alday (R) said recently that he opposes increases in education funding, citing "crazy welfare checks" that he doesn't think benefit the state.

"I don’t see any schools hurting," Alday (pictured on the right) said in an interview with the Clarion-Ledger highlighted by ThinkProgress. "The people are electing superintendents that don’t know anything about education."

"I come from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks.' They don’t work," he continued.

The state lawmaker then complained that he recently had a long wait in a hospital emergency room.

"I laid in there for hours because they (blacks) were in there being treated for gunshots," he said

Alday was discussing whether the state needed to devote additional education funding the third-grade gate program, which requires students to repeat the third grade if they are not proficient in reading.

The Mississippi education department is looking to hire additional literacy coaches for schools and invest in training for language arts teachers.

Whitestuff.jpg

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whites are in so much feelings yet they are still in high positions.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I mean really.
  • stringer bell
    talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mississippi-welfare-razy-checks-defense
    Lawmaker Who Lamented 'Welfare Crazy Checks' Insists He's Not Racist

After Mississippi lawmakers criticized Republican state Rep. Gene Alday's remarks about "welfare crazy checks" for blacks, Alday insisted that his remarks were taken out of context.

"I'm not a bad person, and that makes me look like an evil person," Alday (pictured right) told the Clarion-Ledger on Monday about his previous interview with the paper. "I didn't do anything wrong. The guy made me look like a fool."

During an interview with the Clarion-Ledger about education funding in Mississippi, Alday referenced welfare and his beliefs about its impact.

"I come from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks.' They don’t work," he said in the interview published Sunday.

He also complained about a recent visit to the emergency room.

"I laid in there for hours because they (blacks) were in there being treated for gunshots," Alday said.

Both Republican and Democratic lawmakers in Mississippi have condemned Alday's remarks, the Clarion-Ledger reported on Monday.

"Rep. Alday is solely responsible for his remarks," Gov. Phil Bryant (R) said. "I strongly reject his comments condemning any Mississippian because of their race. Those day are long past."

But Alday said he would not resign from his seat and instead blamed his comments on Clarion-Ledger reporter Jerry Mitchell. The lawmaker said he wouldn't have made the remarks if he had realized they would be included in the article.

"It was late at night and he called me," Alday said. "He asked me a question back to when I was in law enforcement … I have a way of talking and saying, 'take this off the record.'"

He added that the reporter did not include Alday's attempts to help black members of his community.

"Yes, it's true that most of the blacks in my hometown are on welfare," Alday said. "But they're good people. I don't have anything against anybody. I'm a straight-up guy. In my little town they had little civil rights walks and I was with them. I'm with everybody."

Mitchell said that he used the full context when reporting on his interview with Alday and that the lawmaker began talking about race on his own.

See y'all he not racist he words were just taken out of context.. plus he marched w/ black people.. So he can't be racist.. right...
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just can't be surprised with these people anymore smh
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Rep. Alday is solely responsible for his remarks," Gov. Phil Bryant (R) said. "I strongly reject his comments condemning any Mississippian because of their race. Those day are long past."

How are those days long past when it just ? happened and he's actually commenting about it just happening? Don't be trying to do jedi mind ticks if you ain't a ? jedi - you just sound like an idiot.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminded me of a story I heard today..somewhat related.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/reynoldsburg/news/2015/02/10/new-formula-could-add-millions-to-school-coffers.html

White House Warns that House Bill Means Education Cuts

The White House is warning that some big school districts in Ohio will see a cut-back in federal funding if a new House bill becomes law.

Congress is rewriting the No Child Left Behind law and the House version would shift some funding from poor districts to rich districts

The House Education and Workforce Committee calls it the Student Success Act but it would be part of the larger Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

Committee chair –Republican John Kline of Minnesota says it will give parents more school choice and eliminates unnecessary federal programs.

empowers parents with more school choice options by continuing support for magnet schools and expanding charter school opportunities, as well as allowing Title I funds to follow low-income children to the traditional public or charter school of the parent’s choice.”

The one Ohioan on the House Education committee, is ranking Democrat Marcia Fudge who voted against it.

“It is tragic that students in Cleveland and in poor school districts throughout the nation will suffer as a result of H.R. 5. I believe it is no accident this legislation weakens public education and siphons resources from poor school districts and reallocates them to wealthier school districts. We are failing a generation of young people. Those who voted for it should be ashamed.

Fudge also said the “action will disproportionally harm many disadvantaged low income students.”

The head of the White House Domestic Policy Council, Cecilia Muñoz agrees.

“Same thing is true for Cleveland which would lose 25.8% of its funding compared to a community like Shaker Hts which would see an increase of 21.6% of its funding. This approach is backward and our teachers and kids deserve much much better.”

That would be a $14.1 million dollar loss for Cleveland. Columbus would lose 25.1% or $11.8 million and Cincinnati would drop $5.1 million. The full House is expected to pass it while the Senate is working on a more bi-partisan version. Munoz would not say whether the President would veto it.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminded me of a story I heard today..somewhat related.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/reynoldsburg/news/2015/02/10/new-formula-could-add-millions-to-school-coffers.html

White House Warns that House Bill Means Education Cuts

The White House is warning that some big school districts in Ohio will see a cut-back in federal funding if a new House bill becomes law.

Congress is rewriting the No Child Left Behind law and the House version would shift some funding from poor districts to rich districts

The House Education and Workforce Committee calls it the Student Success Act but it would be part of the larger Elementary and Secondary Education Act.

Committee chair –Republican John Kline of Minnesota says it will give parents more school choice and eliminates unnecessary federal programs.

empowers parents with more school choice options by continuing support for magnet schools and expanding charter school opportunities, as well as allowing Title I funds to follow low-income children to the traditional public or charter school of the parent’s choice.”

The one Ohioan on the House Education committee, is ranking Democrat Marcia Fudge who voted against it.

“It is tragic that students in Cleveland and in poor school districts throughout the nation will suffer as a result of H.R. 5. I believe it is no accident this legislation weakens public education and siphons resources from poor school districts and reallocates them to wealthier school districts. We are failing a generation of young people. Those who voted for it should be ashamed.

Fudge also said the “action will disproportionally harm many disadvantaged low income students.”

The head of the White House Domestic Policy Council, Cecilia Muñoz agrees.

“Same thing is true for Cleveland which would lose 25.8% of its funding compared to a community like Shaker Hts which would see an increase of 21.6% of its funding. This approach is backward and our teachers and kids deserve much much better.”

That would be a $14.1 million dollar loss for Cleveland. Columbus would lose 25.1% or $11.8 million and Cincinnati would drop $5.1 million. The full House is expected to pass it while the Senate is working on a more bi-partisan version. Munoz would not say whether the President would veto it.

Where Bane when you need him
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And what makes this truly pathetic is the simple basic fact that the majority of ppl on welfare are white. Mississippi smmfgdh
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The interview, he just took me out of context," Alday said. "He asked for one thing and started asking another thing."

thats not the definition of out of context, thats called asking two questions you dumb son'?

how this dumb ? become a state Rep.
  • stringer bell
    desototimes.com/articles/2015/02/17/news/doc54e287cc62b97418602898.txt
    Alday apologizes for off-cuff remarks

State Rep. Gene Alday, R-Walls, resisted efforts to resign amid a gathering firestorm of controversy over off-the-cuff remarks made to a Jackson-based reporter involving race and derogatory comments about welfare recipients.

"I've had 40 people who want me to resign," Alday said Monday. "I'm not going to resign right this minute. I'm not going to resign. I didn't do anything wrong."

Alday spoke to veteran Clarion-Ledger reporter Jerry Mitchell last week. Alday's comments were quoted in a Sunday article about public education that Mitchell wrote.

"I'm going to apologize to set it clean for me," Alday said in a telephone conversation on Monday as he prepared to return to the State Capitol after the holiday weekend.

Alday, 57, said his plans were to appear in the well of the Mississippi House of Representatives and apologize for his remarks to the entire chamber and to all of those individuals he might have offended.

"I'm not going to resign," Alday said. "I'm not a bad person. I have done nothing wrong."

Alday said his telephone had "rung off the wall" since Mitchell's story appeared.

In that article, Mitchell quoted Alday as saying that he "comes from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call welfare crazy checks. They don't work."

Alday's comments were roundly denounced from state leaders including Gov. Phil Bryant and House Speaker Philip Gunn.

"Rep. Alday is solely responsible for his remarks," Bryant told the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. "I strongly reject his comments condemning any Mississippian because of their race. Those days are long past."

In a phone conversation Monday, Alday said his views and words were taken out of context.

"He (Mitchell) asked me some stuff about my history," Alday said. "There are a lot of people on welfare and stuff around here. I'm down there trying to help them. I'm not a racist. I'm a good guy. I think what I did was say a couple of things to him and he made a story out of it. Now, I have to apologize to the House when I get there."

Alday, who represents a sizable black electorate among the Mississippi Delta counties he represents, said it would be foolish of him from a political standpoint to offend anyone.

"I've got Clarksdale, Lula and Tunica," Alday said. "All I'm doing is trying to help them people."

Alday said as Walls Police Chief and as that town's former mayor, he has a track record of helping people, black and white.

"I've taken more (black) people home that were ? and didn't arrest them," Alday said. "At one time, I had 18 people working for me, and I paid them $12 an hour. Nobody does that. You know I'm not a racist. You know how I talk. We had a food bank here in Walls and I helped out with that. I'm not a racist. I'm not a bad person. I want to apologize to everyone to make it right. It's just a mess."

For his part, Mitchell said he took plenty of notes during his conversation with Alday.

"I stick by my story," Mitchell said when contacted
    at the Clarion-Ledger's Jackson offices on Monday.

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not supporting education funding bc "black people are on welfare" isnt even logical if it were true