The Mask You Live In (a study of masculinity) (trailer)

Options

Comments

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    .. From childhood I like all women are constantly being told that you not as smart, not as strong, not as athletic, etc as your male counterparts ... You aren't meant to lead, but follow ... your value is not determined by what you can offer the world, but by what you can offer your potential husband ..

imma call bs on this

Nah, that ? is true, bruh; And quite easy to see, tbh.. Women aren't encouraged or incentivized the way men are. Instead, women are encouraged and incentivized to be what men want them to be, for the most part.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    .. From childhood I like all women are constantly being told that you not as smart, not as strong, not as athletic, etc as your male counterparts ... You aren't meant to lead, but follow ... your value is not determined by what you can offer the world, but by what you can offer your potential husband ..

imma call bs on this

Nah, that ? is true, bruh; And quite easy to see, tbh.. Women aren't encouraged or incentivized the way men are. Instead, women are encouraged and incentivized to be what men want them to be, for the most part.

Imma talk to my sister and female cousins about that
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »

imma call bs on this

depends on who's raising them.

I often hear chicks saying they don't need a man to there daughters
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i really dont see nothin wrong with whats bein said in the clip..

all that macho hyper masculinity ? we've been taught since youth has done what good for us?? its been to our own detriment if anything...

nothin's wrong wit allowin a boy to feel human.. humans have emotions.. we shouldbt be teaching them to hide or neglect their feelings but to control them..

I'm so fascinated by @BOSSExcellence. I mean, you just dont anticipate that a guy with a stable of hoes would be capable of examining manhood from that angle. It's so refreshing.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't watch the video but I can agree that ESPECIALLY in the Black Community, hyper masculinity has gotten alotta ? killed and/or destroyed a lotta opportunities.

There was a poster named Claude Brown a while back who typed something ill never forget about masculinity and the black community/Lower middle class people..TO paraphrase he said "Masculinity in the black community is like this hope diamond that men cling too" meaning that men from lower class backgrounds already have nothing so their masculinity is literally all they have so much so that they're socially conditioned to interpret everything as a sleight against them.

Sometimes this winds up in quitting a job because they cant take orders, sometimes its shooting a ? for disrespecting their set.

goat'd for namedropping Claude Brown...my favorite.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    lol... this is so corny.
    bottom line is that the gangs in Chicago are an isolated issue that has little to do with masculinity.
    it has to do with poverty and broken homes.
    these issue could be addressed. good luck fighting masculinity.

Eggfuckingzactly.

Why I don't ? with white feminists especially. They will completely disregard the racial issues Black boys face just to lump them in with white boys.

This documentary is setting the foundation for typical boy behavior to be classified as mental disorders right along with ADHD and ODD.
    The only part that's missing is finding the financial incentive.

Imagine if a Black man made a documentary telling females how toxic womanhood is..
    Imagine the righteous uproar.

What?

From childhood I like all women are constantly being told that you not as smart, not as strong, not as athletic, etc as your male counterparts ... You aren't meant to lead, but follow ... your value is not determined by what you can offer the world, but by what you can offer your potential husband

Think if what that does to the self esteem of a girl growing up

No need to pile it on, bruh

And this documentary from what I can tell is not an attack on masculinity ... But a culture of hyper masculinity where the ideal man is a ? , fighting, drinking, cussing, alpha male with a limited emotional range: stoic, angry, ? ...a culture that essentially robs boys of their humanity, a right already not afforded to black males

Also worth noting that studies have found hyper masculine messaging found in the media especially targets low income young men who lack access to resources such as political power and wealth

Not saying, hyper masculinity is responsible for Chicago gang violence or anything like that

But the idea of hyper masculinity and gender sterotypes having an negative effect on youth is worth discussing, especially considering the state of things

Young women of all races are out performing their male counterparts in school at every level, and the suicide rate among young men has consistently been at least double of that among young females, across the board ... Suicide is actually one of if not thy top killers of college aged men

Since when in the history of Black people have Black men just been able to tell Black women what to do? Black women invented the "look you upside your head" face.

There is no such thing as hypermasculine. This is where feminists ? up, when you toss around prefixes and suffixes to heighten and create issues you overstep your bounds. Prefix "hyper-" is a medical or rather scientific term it's opposite being hypo.

In order to have a term like "hypermasculine" be legitimate, you have to scientifically establish a baseline for masculinity. You have to quantify and measure, a scientific method is now in play. Two of the worst enemies of feminists and ? ass ? is science and math, reason and logic, consequence, reaction, catalyst, causality and correlation what is cogent vs flimsy, emotionally driven whimsy.

Because then the question arises are ? hypomasculine? Are ? hypermasculine? Is there a such thing called hyperfeminine or hypofeminine?

The problem with these types of people is that their road to power involves obtaining power and influence over others, manipulating others rather than actually empowering themselves, which is why Feminism and Power will never go together in the same sentence, paragraph, essay or thesis statement.

This whole documentary wreaks of manipulation, and ? is so ? stupid they'll let a ? do it.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't watch the video but I can agree that ESPECIALLY in the Black Community, hyper masculinity has gotten alotta ? killed and/or destroyed a lotta opportunities.

There was a poster named Claude Brown a while back who typed something ill never forget about masculinity and the black community/Lower middle class people..TO paraphrase he said "Masculinity in the black community is like this hope diamond that men cling too" meaning that men from lower class backgrounds already have nothing so their masculinity is literally all they have so much so that they're socially conditioned to interpret everything as a sleight against them.

Sometimes this winds up in quitting a job because they cant take orders, sometimes its shooting a ? for disrespecting their set.

I... I....

0pHosja.jpg

Nevermind. GOATed.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    y'all always trying to push this ? black pathology.
    when mobsters were killing each other during prohibition, where was this hyper masculinity talk?
    foh
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

208clr5.jpg
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    when mobsters were killing each other during prohibition, where was this hyper masculinity talk?
    foh

Bad example. There's a bunch of social ideas that are around now that weren't in the past and a lot of social norms that have changed over time too
  • Meta_Conscious
    edited February 2015
    Options
    if only the blacks were less masculine! then everything would be great!
    the ? ?
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    foh

Bad example. There's a bunch of social ideas that are around now that weren't in the past and a lot of social norms that have changed over time too

Society should not be able to measure what a man is. Society once deemed it ok to hang black men from trees. Who gives a ? what the outside sees, these young boys have to be comfortable with themselves. ? what society thinks.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like how since forever and a day, folks have been trying to pathologize and regulate Black manhood.
    Everybody except Black men have a say in what is healthy or toxic.
    The only people that have any business saying anything about Black masculinity are those with it, Black males; not feminists or anyone parroting their ideology.

Are there behaviors among males that are maladaptive? Yes.
    Same as females, but feminists like to go around acting like the end all be all of female issues are men, and always fail to examine themselves while they walking around trying to "fix"somebody else.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like how since forever and a day, folks have been trying to pathologize and regulate Black manhood.
    The only people that have any business saying anything about Black masculinity are those with it, Black males; not feminists or anyone parroting their ideology.

Same as females, but feminists like to go around acting like the end all be all of female issues are men, and always fail to examine themselves while they walking around trying to "fix"somebody else.

the clip wasnt talkin about black males tho.. jus males in general..
    the discussion turned to black males cause its black talkin about it..

jus sayin..

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

jus sayin..

Right. I don't know why that went over heads.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    it didn't go over anyones head. the conversation naturally flowed in that direction.
    anyway, this is nonsense.
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is an example of hypermasculine activities? Cuz im confused. I feel like this word was invented by some white feminist bird whose man cheated on her with a thot.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Brought to you by Team MissRepresentation"

85915-Wendell-Pierce-gif-lWN2.gif

Im not even gon address the feminine angle to this or the comedy and absurdity of the nggas who cosigned this

I look at it from a society standpoint.
    We basicaly live in a modern day ? and Gommoroh, so how anyone can take cues from what THIS society deems the new normal is beyond me.

Too many people have no compass. No firm beliefs. No governin. One 3 minute video and 'ya know they have a point i like this, i DO think i'll raise my son as a ? , I DO think it was a missile that hit the towers', etc. Too many mfers bendin over backwards, pun intended and im not pausin that

In these days its a lot of ? out there that u, or shall I say I, just gotta put your head down and compleyely ignore what they tellin you is the new regular. More now than ever, sometimes it IS everybody else who's crazy, not you. Im prepared to be the last of a dyin breed. Stand up nggas dont lean lol tru ? tho.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

jus sayin..

Street harrasment wasn't about black males... Just males in general.
    Yet many blk males already knew, that they were the actual target . That notion was considered nonsense , until the video came out.......

Feminism never attack white supremacy, aka white males...NEVER NEVER
    NEVER
  • S2J
    Options

I agree with what you saying, but do you see how we've essentially lowered our own bar. Lowered our own expectations, as if their is no gray area. "Well ? , we cant even stop killin each other, lets fall back"

And tbh ? the hood and ? nggas. Wtf does the hood have to do wih me lls Black people are not monolythic. Whats goes on in the hood does not dictate how we should act. If you are fortunate enough to be out of that environment, and you know better, then do better. We need to raise leaders, not be happy just to raise a mfer that dont go to jail. Where's the confidence, where's the sense of self. Raise the standards, dont lower them
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

jus sayin..

Yet many blk males already knew, that they were the actual target . That notion was considered nonsense , until the video came out.......

NEVER

im not sure if im following u..
    im too far removed from.this thread..

iv said my piece..
    yall ? have at it..
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options

People been killing each other solo or cliqueing up to ? groups of other people since the dawn of man. Just because our societies have become more civilized doesn't mean that people have inherently done the same. We're the same human beings we have been for the past ~200,000 yrs. Its natural. People fear being hurt/killed so other people use the threat of, or actual acts of violence as a means to an end. Tempers cloud judgement. Nothing "hyper" about it. Does it ? things up? Yes. But its not some abnormality like this video or a few of you are making it out to be.

The sentiment is fine, but I don't see how this applies here unless you're conceding that the reason things go farther than necessary is because some kids come from little to nothing and feel like they have nothing to lose. There are plenty of females that act the same way, so its not a "masculinity" issue.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a

jus sayin..

NEVER

Only when said feminists need to relieve themselves of the blame for White crimes. Then they are quick to point out gender intersectionality and throw white men under the bus so they can appear as victims rather than co-conspirators
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options

jus sayin..

NEVER

Didn't see this before.

This is nonsense. You don't know what you are talking about.
  • S2J
    edited March 2015
    Options

jus sayin..

NEVER

Eh better to just say 'less often', bc thats not correct. If for no other reason, we as black men often arent even in the way of white women's progress.

So when its things like equal pay (see Patricia Arquette's oscar speech), or workplace equality, or sexual harrasment, 9/10 thats white women vs white men. Also look at the UVA frat scandal, or ? culture....yea, that just want correct at all. Not even less ofen, that was just incorrect.