Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Come on with the ? . Seriously?
  • arbitration
    arbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco
    Tough because Nas is a legend. If the question was about impact on the game, than yes Nas. But lyrics... Lupe is on an island right now by himself.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Nas is the better of the two.

But Lupe can be mentioned with nas. They are both in the highest tier of rap.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco
    As far as lyricism is concerned, Lupe is arguably the GOAT.

Nas is a great lyricist, undisputedly. Top 10 DOA.
    His rhymes are poetic and personal, which makes him on of the greatest.

But the sheer density of Lupe's talent / potential is unrivaled, imo. Dude seems like he can do ANYTHING on the mic, but just chooses to be difficultl.. I've always been curious about what would happen if Lupe were to try Nas' approach to storytelling by making things a little less massive, and a bit more personal.. If he were to stop being so hard headed, he could be the undisputed champ, damn near easily..
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nas
    "Just because you don't understand him don't mean that he nice"

Lupe in insane lyrically,but sometimes that ? just be rapping in parables and ? that only make sense to him,but sound great with great wordplay.IDK what the ? that ? be talking about sometimes,and not much gets passed me.

Anyway,Nas has an entirely different approach to the microphone and lyrically I think he is better and more original.

1323598251605.gif

• Ilike2get baked
    Ilike2get baked Members Posts: 879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    [quon;7847228"]Nas - My Own Worst Enemy (Unreleased): http://youtu.be/42YbSnJWkoQ

Y'all can't be serious[/quote]

Good drop @Cain...I never heard this one...between ? like this and the third verse on "World's An Addiction " I just don't see Lupe being better just yet...It would be different if Nas was falling off but the ? just seems to be getting better
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    Where's Jay electronica
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    They are both dope as ? so stop bashing one to prop the other. Nas is better though
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco
    nas is a rappers rapper. hes a street poet whose flow/style is untouched.

lupe fiasco takes that same premise and flips it 20x.

if we talking STRICTLY lyrics, lupe takes ? to the NEXT level; triple entendres. wild metaphors, uncompromising flows, ridiculous subject matter...you name it.

nas is easier to relate to and thats a talent in itself. he can humanize is lyrics better than lupe.

I purposely made this a thread about being a better lyricist, not rapper to see if people can separate the two and be non bias, but alot of ? . struggling with the concept. They don't want anybody to be better at Nas at one thing. Just cuz Steph Curry is a better shooter than Jordan, doesn't mean you think Curry us better than the GOAT overall. Yall be alright once you grasp that concept.

At the same time I still respect those who picked Nas, b4 Lupe, Nas was my undisputed lyricist, along with a prime Slim, Andre 3000, Black Thought, and so on, but I'm open minded enough to think someone can be better at one element or aspect without being overall better also.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe's sheer talent has ? in their feelings and Im a Nas fan myself
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    It's funny how both were in the same space by their 5 albums. They both had back to back classic, with their first 2 albums. Then two disappointing. Then a classic that brought them back, in good graces with their hip hop fans after many written off. Both in my top 5.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco
    FNL2 wasn't disappointing to me
    Just not as good as FNL
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    Nas
    LUClEN wrote: »
    FNL2 wasn't disappointing to me
    Just not as good as FNL

It was as good as I Am. Both ok to good albums, just not what the fans expected.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas

if we talking STRICTLY lyrics, lupe takes ? to the NEXT level; triple entendres. wild metaphors, uncompromising flows, ridiculous subject matter...you name it.

nas is easier to relate to and thats a talent in itself. he can humanize is lyrics better than lupe.

I purposely made this a thread about being a better lyricist, not rapper to see if people can separate the two and be non bias, but alot of ? . struggling with the concept. They don't want anybody to be better at Nas at one thing. Just cuz Steph Curry is a better shooter than Jordan, doesn't mean you think Curry us better than the GOAT overall. Yall be alright once you grasp that concept.

At the same time I still respect those who picked Nas, b4 Lupe, Nas was my undisputed lyricist, along with a prime Slim, Andre 3000, Black Thought, and so on, but I'm open minded enough to think someone can be better at one element or aspect without being overall better also.

So we talking about lyrics but your boy mentioning subject matter and flow? I like Nas ability to weave a complex rap without being too complex. That's lyrics to me. Anything else is a nice beat and a slick rhyme.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Overall they're tied because Lupe got Nas since he came out but Lupe doesn't have anything on Esco Nas.

? need to grow as an Artist. That's what Lupe failed to do and which is why Kendrick is better than him.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Overall they're tied because Lupe got Nas since he came out but Lupe doesn't have anything on Esco Nas.

? need to grow as an Artist. That's what Lupe failed to do and which is why Kendrick is better than him.

Better lyricist not artist.
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    Nas
    FuriousOne wrote: »

So we talking about lyrics but your boy mentioning subject matter and flow? I like Nas ability to weave a complex rap without being too complex. That's lyrics to me. Anything else is a nice beat and a slick rhyme.

subject matter is a part of lyricism.

i mentioned uncompromising flows because just like nas, lupe doesnt compromise his lyrics for sake of flow.

Believe it or not he does. He said it himself. Songs like Madonna, Show must go on, & Hood now are some examples. Not to say the songs wasn't dope, they just wasn't as lyrical as other songs he have. Pretty much all MCs do it with a few exceptions.
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    Nas
    You right, I misread what you was saying. My bad.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco
    Kendrick two albums deep... How has he shown more growth than Lupe?
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nas
    "Death followed him, before it swallowed him whole,
    It was signs he should of read that was inside his soul,
    ? light dutches to him now, So long,
    Miss a ? ? but still life goes on,
    Hope I'm rich on my last day, clutching some ass,
    ? said he came and went, got enough when he passed,
    An old man laying dead on my bed, with some young ? ,
    Screaming out "freedom" when I slumped her chest,
    After that she'll , be a ? with a hex,
    Every ? she sex, will be the next put to rest."

Lupe is just not there yet. He doesn't carry enough scars to hold lyrical weight with Nas.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas
    I've been a Nas Stan since high school in 1991 when Live @ the Barbeque was out.

I've seen Nas go from Nasty Nas to Escobar to ? 's Son. He's easily the nicest MC in the industry as we speak.

I remember Lupe when he first came out. he was on Late registration. And I had Food and Liquor on my hard drive at one point but I erased it. didn't see what the big deal was.

Anyway, I just listened to the Mural that somebody posted. Reminds me of Canibus's Poet Laureate ll, you know that song where he rambles on for 15 minutes about nothing. But I will admit that Lupe's voice is easier to listen to than Canibus.