City of Cleveland responds to Tamir Rice lawsuit by saying boy's death was caused by his own actions

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in The Social Lounge
cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2015/02/city_of_cleveland_responds_to.html
City of Cleveland responds to Tamir Rice lawsuit by saying boy's death was caused because of his own actions

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The city of Cleveland on Friday responded to a lawsuit filed by the family of Tamir Rice with several defenses, including that the 12-year-old died and his family members suffered because of their own actions.

The city, in its response, wrote that Tamir's death on Nov. 22 and all of the injuries his family claims in the suit "were directly and proximately caused by their own acts, not this Defendant." It also says that the 12-year-old's shooting death was caused "by the failure ... to exercise due care to avoid injury."

The response does not explain these defenses in more detail, though 20 defenses are listed in all, including another one that says Tamir died because of "the conduct of individuals or entities other than Defendant."

The city also wrote that it does not have enough information to respond in full because the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office's investigation into Rice's death by police officer Timothy Loehmann is not finished.

The Sheriff's Office has not given a timeline on completing its investigation into Tamir's death and turning the case over to Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty's Office. A spokesman for the Sheriff's Office did not return messages left Friday.

The lawsuit was first filed in December and amended in January after Tamir's family hired new attorneys. Tamir's parents were added as plaintiffs, as was his sister Tajai Rice.

It alleges the city, Loehmann, officer Frank Garmback and 100 unknown 911 operators, police officers and city employees violated the family's rights in the fatal Nov. 22 shooting outside the Cudell Recreation Center on West Boulevard. Officers responded to a report of a man with a gun. The boy was shot less than two seconds after the officers pulled up to the gazebo outside the recreation center.

The boy was holding a pellet gun.

It goes into detail about the moments after the shooting when Tajai Rice, 14, was tackled and restrained as she ran towards her brother screaming "my baby brother, they killed my baby brother."

The suit also makes references to the Department of Justice's report released on Dec. 4, which found that Cleveland police engaged in a pattern of using excessive force against suspects, and to reports of Loehmann's questionable previous experience as a police officer in Independence and the police's handling of the chase and shooting of Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell in 2012.

In its filing, the city, as it has done before, denied having knowledge of problems in Loehmann's past police employment history.

Finally, in response to an accusation contained in the suit that the city was using the sheriff's office's investigation as an excuse to withhold information, the city says it is not doing this and is cooperating in the investigation.

Walter Madison, an Akron attorney representing the Rice family, said Friday that he believes "that there's merit in our complaint."

"I do believe that a 12-year-old child died unnecessarily at the hands of Cleveland police officers and I do believe that certain officers shouldn't have been entitled to wear the uniform," he said.

A call left for a city spokesman was not returned Friday afternoon.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I had two seconds to react before being killed I'd die, don't matter how many chances I get. There's nothing you could have done in that span of time that would save yourself.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What kind of asinine thinking is this? Are they even trying anymore...
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was so much worse than the Mike Brown shooting. People should have rioted over this.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I thought u ? got the message, when they gave Zimmermann his gun back...
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    City of Cleveland knows they're going to settle. I mean come on bro. You people hired a cop who was declared mentally unfit to be a cop by another department..and then you wanna try to act like it's all good when the mentally unfit cop kills a 12 year old kid..and the whole thing is on camera...and he does so within 2 seconds of pulling up making it impossible to give commands

LOL gon cut the check you ?
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

I thought u ? got the message, when they gave Zimmermann his gun back...

The message is older than Zimmermann ? ... Still a slap in the face each time
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No surprise by this, once I heard Tamir had a fake gun, it was over. Cops in America shoot first and ask questions later. Won't even pretend to be shocked.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    City of Cleveland knows they're going to settle. I mean come on bro. You people hired a cop who was declared mentally unfit to be a cop by another department..and then you wanna try to act like it's all good when the mentally unfit cop kills a 12 year old kid..
    yeah, just in case people missed this:

Cop Who Killed Tamir Rice Was Previously Kicked off Force for 'Dismal' Gun Performance, Emotional Instability
    Timothy Loehmann, the Cleveland police officer who shot and killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice within two seconds of encountering the boy, was deemed "unfit for duty" while serving on another police force. Supervisors specifically cited his "dismal" handgun performance and emotional instability when they forced him to resign in December 2012.

Loehmann was previously employed by the City of Independence. During a training exercise at a gun range, he became "distracted and weepy," according to information obtained by The Guardian:

Officer Timothy Loehmann, who killed Tamir Rice on 22 November, was specifically faulted for breaking down emotionally while handling a live gun. During a training episode at a firing range, Loehmann was reported to be “distracted and weepy” and incommunicative. “His handgun performance was dismal,” deputy chief Jim Polak of the Independence, Ohio, police department wrote in an internal memo.

The memo concludes with a recommendation that Loehmann be “released from the employment of the City of Independence”. Less than a week later, on 3 December 2012, Loehmann resigned.

Loehmann was hired by Cleveland PD in March of this year. It isn't clear whether the department knew about his previous struggles. If it didn't, then apparently his background check was neglected. If it did—and hired him anyway—that's even more damning.

Rice was killed while playing with a fake gun at the park. The toy's orange cap had been removed, rendering it impossible to distinguish from a real gun. Even so, the 911 caller who alerted the authorities told them that the boy he spied playing with a weapon was probably carrying a fake. It's not clear whether Loehmann was given that information; the police union has said that he wasn't.

Regardless, video surveillance shows Loehmann drive up to Rice and ? him within two seconds.

The shooting is an outrage, even if Loehmann had an impeccable record. But this latest news does make it worse, and shows that the department deserves some blame.

• perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You in Chicago Though my ? ... Cleveland, chicago, and detroit.... whats the difference?