New ‘X-Files’ Series with Gillian Anderson & David Duchovny May Get Green Light Soon

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
The-X-Files-I-Want-To-Believe.jpg

Even though the iconic 1990′s sci-fi/supernatural thriller series The X-Files overstayed its welcome by a few seasons, the show starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson as a pair of FBI agents tasked with investigating bizarre phenomena remains an influential cult favorite – without it, shows like Fringe and Lost may not have seen the light of day.

Years after attempts to spin the show into a movie franchise faltered, talk of a third X-Files film limped along until we heard a few months ago that Fox TV had entered into talks to revive The X-Files for television. Star Duchovny seems willing to play Fox Mulder again, but fans have been waiting for more news.

Now, according to a report from TV Wise (by way of Collider), fans may not have to wait as long as previously thought for the return of The X-Files.
According to the report:

Fox is close to giving an official green-light to a revival of their iconic science fiction series, which originally aired between 1993 and 2002. Per sources, the network has settled on a “short-stack” order for the revival and while the exact size of the order is yet-to-be-determined, I’m told it will be less than ten episodes.

There is so far no confirmation from Fox just how far along into the process the network may be, but this information syncs up with David Duchovny’s comments in January that he’d only be interested in returning as Mulder in a “limited form” and not a full season.

There are apparently two major reasons for Fox exploring the option of a limited run, the first being “story requirements” which came to light after “prolonged discussions” with X-Files creator Chris Carter, who will evidently return as writer, director and executive producer.

The second reason has to do with scheduling, given Duchovny and Anderson’s ongoing in-demand status. Duchovny is currently shooting NBC’s summer “event” crime series Aquarius and Anderson is returning for the third seasons of NBC’s Hannibal and BBC’s The Fall. Production on a limited-run X-Files revival is thought to begin this summer, if everything aligns property.

While the stars’ packed dance cards make a shortened series a necessity, the narrative challenge – telling a gripping story over the course of potentially just six episodes – sounds like something Chris Carter is prepared for. Fans might feel short-changed, but while ABC/Marvel’s recently completed limited run of Agent Carter may have proved disappointing for some, The X-Files doesn’t need to hook into an over-arcing narrative universe.

Fans of some of some of the most influential shows of the ’90s have plenty to look forward to, with first Twin Peaks and now The X-Files returning. Meanwhile, the world still awaits a new approach to Quantum Leap…

Are you looking forward to seeing The X-Files sooner than we thought? Sound off in the comments, Screen Ranters!

Stay tuned for news on the return of The X-Files as details emerge.

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ehhh I'd watch.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought one of them got abducted by aliens?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did X-Files end up? ? got confusing after awhile and i stopped watching.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest going back and watching if you got Netflix. Show was classic. ? was way ahead of its time. They used a lot of genres TV shows and films use are only trying to use now.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember for sure, but I think it ended with Mulder and Scully figuring everything out and then basically going on the run together.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FuriousOne wrote: »

this ? just lost me

did Mulder ever hit
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »

this ? just lost me

did Mulder ever hit

Mulder got Scully pregnant
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X-Files Revival Officially Ordered At Fox, David Duchovny & Gillian Anderson Back

The truth is out there right here: The X-Files is indeed returning to Fox, with original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprising their respective roles as Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

Fox has officially ordered a six-episode continuation of its phenomenally successful supernatural drama, to shoot this summer and (presumably) air at some point next season. (An official airdate remains TBD.)

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” said X-Files creator Chris Carter, who will oversee the new episodes. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The X-Files ended its nine-season run on Fox in May 2002, but the franchise was resurrected on the big screen in 2008’s The X-Files: I Want to Believe, a follow-up to 1998’s The X-Files: Fight the Future. When last we saw Mulder and Scully in Believe, they were grudgingly helping the FBI find some missing women/bust up a bizarre, Frankenstein-like operation in Virginia. Also important to know: The bureau had pardoned Mulder for going on the lam (at the end of the series’ run), Scully had returned to her medical career, and the partners were still romantically entangled and living together.

Duchovny will next be seen in NBC’s Charles Manson-themed drama Aquarius, while Anderson has Season 3 of Hannibal on deck. Coincidentally, the two shows will air back-to-back on Thursdays this summer. News of the X-humation comes roughly a year after Fox jump-started another one of its marquee franchises, 24, with a limited-series order. Although Live Another Day didn’t make much noise in the ratings, it was well-received by critics and fans alike.

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” said Fox chairmen Gary Newman and Dana Walden in a statement. “The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture — yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lamontbdc wrote: »

this ? just lost me

did Mulder ever hit

Mulder got Scully pregnant

oh ? .
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't they married in real life?