The 'dark meaning' behind the Nike slogan...

Options
water ur seeds
water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2015 in Fashion Forward
SOURCE:
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/nike-famous-catchphrase-inspired-killers-012306549.html

Nike’s famous catchphrase inspired by killer's final words

One of the world’s most famous slogans ‘Just Do It’ was inspired by the final words of a double murderer.

Along with Nike’s signature ‘Swoosh’ logo, the ‘Just Do It’ catchphrase is credited with changing the fate of Nike in the 1980s.

In 1988, advertising executive Dan Wieden was struggling to think of a tagline for Nike, which was competing with Reebok for control of the sneaker market.

In an interview with Dezeen, Wieden explained he was trying to come up with a phrase that would tie together several TV ads in order to broaden the appeal of Nike.

"The night before I got a little concerned because there were five different teams working, so there wasn't an overlying sensibility to them all. Some were funny, some were solemn," he said.

Wieden then remembered a man from Portland a decade earlier who had murdered two people and was sent to jail before facing a firing squad.

"They asked him if he had any final thoughts and he said: 'Let's do it', Wieden explained.

“I didn't like 'Let’s do it' so I just changed it to 'Just do it'."

When the phrase was put to Nike co-founder Phil Knight, he dismissed the idea.

“Phil Knight said ‘we don’t need that s**t,’ Wieden said.

But Wieden persuaded Knight to give the tagline a chance and the rest is history.

Comments

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that just makes it fit more

they got blood on their hands already

anyway, i always wanted to know who came first......nikes or newports?
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    HafBayked wrote: »
    that just makes it fit more

they got blood on their hands already

anyway, i always wanted to know who came first......nikes or newports?

Yeah, its like I know they work in sweatshops but I still buy their sneaks, I guess Im brainwashed lol
  • HafBayked
    Options
    me too lol....i aint no social activist or nuthin i really dont care what they do.....just sayin

i dont think anyone has died over some Reeboks
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    me too lol....i aint no social activist or nuthin i really dont care what they do.....just sayin

TBH I think they are all pretty bad and probably use sweatshops or some form of slave labour...

Adidas and Puma were two brother who worked for the ? 's I believe, and I think Reebok are now part of that group...
  • HafBayked
    Options
    nobody will ever care about any of that ? as long those brands are "in"

im bout to bring them BK's back tho....somebody on here posted some ? about the actual British Knights being black
  • crazy busy
    crazy busy Members Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Options

TBH I think they are all pretty bad and probably use sweatshops or some form of slave labour...

Adidas and Puma were two brother who worked for the ? 's I believe, and I think Reebok are now part of that group...

Adidas is named afer Adolf (Adi) Dassler, I'm pretty sure I read it was his brother who went on to form Puma that was the more ? one, Jesse Owens ran in Adidas.
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    I dont give a ? ...

Dont comment on it then...