The K-Dot "1st week failure" should finally tell us to STOP placing emphasis on sales....

Comments

• onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    nex gin wrote: »
    Why the average consumer puts so much emphasis on record sales has always been a mystery to me.

Because if that artists stops selling then record labels stop investing in said artist. You could still do mixtapes but it's not the same as having a new Timbaland or Dre beat for your album. That ? ain't cheap.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yall talking like kendrick only sold 70,000 copies or something

320,000 is not a failure, especially since GKMC sold under 250,000 first week which is impressive as well. who's outselling him outside of drake? and you can't clown kendrick for cole going plat when kendrick went plat before him
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited March 2015
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah its 2015 not many rappers are selling anymore ? not even RnB. But Country, Pop, Rock etc still selling like nothing. Smh. Its a damn shame
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should finally tell u ? to stop placing your faith in these weirdo rap ?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Considering that he didn't have any real hit singles like the last album he did really well. 300k + is huge.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2015
    We all can't be right about sales lolololol
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    And lol @ "first week failure". The only failure was the release of the album. Those sales are great. Those gonna be a Top 10 debut numbers for the year. I'd avi bet on it.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't even know Kendrick dropped
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, y'all aren't catching why I put "first week failure" in quotes.

I KNOW he didn't fail. 320K in a debut week is great, especially in this age. But people were hollering about "500k first week", "700k+" etc....

Catch the damn satire.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Why y'all acting like this dude was about to do Taylor Swift numbers? The rappers who might be considered bigger than Kendrick ain't doing too much better themselves. ? sales I want hot music.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhhhh ....Albums continue to sale after the first week......

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont get the people saying the message is why he aint sell that much, wtf ion think that has nothing to do with nothing.

so we just gon forget the release was botched?? if not for that this ? is gold first week easy, and i was predicting 300k range b4 and, ? it did that with a ? up release! if u have a big enough fanbase u can just do what u do, cole and drake did so i shouldnt even have to tell u that.

when it comes to emphasis on sales i think some of us like myself just wanna see certain artists do well, but most go way too far n say ? like "that ? only sold ___ he garbage"
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After 2weeks he's at 460-470k. I think he's good. Probably will climb up to by the fall. Im happy him and Cole selling.
  • CantBanTheSoulMan
    CantBanTheSoulMan Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    MUSICALLY the album is wack. The message is great, the best message since the Bible or whatever, but MUSICALLY....it just doesn't sound good. I like Kendrick because he is a hip hop artist with a message, not a jazz fusionist/afrobeat whatever the ? . I want to hear dope beats and dope rhymes. Sure there is a important message that our culture needs to hear but....? I can't get into the music. All props to him for trying something different and evolving as an artist, but....

I know a lot of people feel that way, but once a majority of people declare something a classic, well, there is no room for argument anymore.

Overly Dedicated was brilliant, Section .80 is the best, GKMC was great and an important album for Hip Hop, still not sure about To ? a Butterfly. 6 spins in and I just can't get into it.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You ? nut hug Kendrick like hipsters nut hug obscure emo alt-rock bands

Stop being blinded by what y'all want him to be and actually analyze his music.

It's not as good as y'all want to believe it is
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know it's time to exit a thread when you read "2punkabootyhole".
  • champagne_papi
    champagne_papi Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Tried to reach out so I can save em this year... ? it I guess I have to wait till next year.
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    the way sion projected this...makes me fear ever giving him access to my finances...

But you gotta admit !!! After he broke the Spotify record it seemed likely LOLOLOLOLOL

IF NOT FOR THE LEAK FAM !!!!!!

LMAO you didn't take the leak into account? Like almost every album in history doesn't leak?

You sound like this dude from the boondocks

mqdefault.jpg

"I didn't kno the album would leak! It was an unknown unknown! "
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    L3NU wrote: »
    Sion wrote: »
    the way sion projected this...makes me fear ever giving him access to my finances...

But you gotta admit !!! After he broke the Spotify record it seemed likely LOLOLOLOLOL

IF NOT FOR THE LEAK FAM !!!!!!

LMAO you didn't take the leak into account? Like almost every album in history doesn't leak?

You sound like this dude from the boondocks

mqdefault.jpg

"I didn't kno the album would leak! It was an unknown unknown! "

Sion was like "there are known knowns, But there are also unknown unknowns, record leaks and consumer fickleness we don't know we don't know is gonna happen!"
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    sophomore slump
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya ass gonna be in in jail, listening to Wesley Theory on reapeat
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sales don't affect my decision to buy music.

I just like to see great hip hop artists sell well. Just in the hope it will inspire other artists to stick to real hip hop rather than make radio music. It was great to see Cole and Kendrick sell well.