5 Feminist Myths That Will Not Die

Options
13»

Comments

• onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^ Agreed. My wife is a science nerd but she has plenty of sisters and a brother that just aren't interested in that kind of thing. We should stop try to pretend like it's societies fault when women don't take an interest in certain career fields. The fact that both of my parents were nurses and tried to push me and both of my sisters into being nurses didn't change the fact that none of us decided to be nurses. People can make their own decisions.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

Lol @ the kim kardashian app

Ur being disingenuous

Sure more women should start their own companies/ tech startups, but fact is the STEM fields are male dominated. And it's because of a multitude of reasons

Women being allergic to books and working long hours is not one

And we aren't just naturally disinterested in tech

Girls historically have not been as encouraged to go into into these fields as their male counter parts

At least imho ... And there's plenty of studies that have suggested such

I just used gender typed toys and how video games are largely marketing for boys as an example

My point being the toys, games we play with as children have an incredible influence on us.

While it may be going too far to say that toys create a child’s career path, it certainly affects them

Another factor worth discussing is that girls don't see a lot of women working in these fields particularly in positions of power so that can be discouraging

Not to say there aren't people including women who find the STEM fields boring and rather go another route

People have a choice in the career path they choose to take

But let's not act like that choice isn't made under heavy pressure

More women in these high paying industries would help to close the wage gap significantly and help grow the economy

It's making a ? tone of money and it's an example of a female entering tech and finding success, but i'm suggesting to go further and make it yourself. There was nothing humorous intended in that statement. Games are the only technology based product marketed towards boys because idk, they are trying to sell things to boys? When an increasing amount of females show interest, more will be geared towards them. What i'm seeing instead of creation, is an attack on products that boys like because they must be protected from ? while females can enjoy men unbridled.

What heavy pressure? Self imposed societal pressures that affect what males and females are supposed to consider as the norm? One of my male co-workers is going to school to be a Nurse. It weirded me out because we think of a Nurse a certain way. But truth be told, that ? is hard and guess what, it's a STEM field that doesn't get attention it deserves. If you feel pressured by anybody, then blame yourself for succumbing. Feminism is supposed to be about creating the opportunity, not just ? talking. Like i said, i know a lot of women that are already the STEM field but society likes a news piece so they focus on Videogames which actually don't matter at all to society other then for training purposes.

I Lol'd the kim kardashian app because I'm sure men are largely responsible for the coding of the app

And this isn't an attack on men or the things boys love ...wtf?

Even though from my experiences working with men in the IT industry, I don't always free comfortable/welcome ... But I digress

This about addressing the gender wage gap in a meaningful and realistic way

Again according to labor statistic numbers women are severely underrepresented in all the STEM fields not just the gaming industry... A simple Google search will tell u that

And STEM fields are the highest paying industries

More women in STEM means a greater pool or talent, and a higher quality of life for more women and their children ... And it helps grow the economy

That's why I feel this an important issue

I'm not ? just to ?

And yes there are things we can do as parents and as a society to better spark girls passion for technology, science, math and engineering so there will be more women in STEM

Same as we should be doing things so more blks into the STEM industries

Considering that women are concentrated in low-wage jobs, if we were to raise the minimum wage they'll have an immediate impact on the wage gap as well

Even though Kim didn't program it, she was aware enough to enter that market and eat. At the end of the day, it's about creating and properly marketing an attractive product or service. Carving paths is all i'm talking about.

Nobody gives a damn about the programmer anyway unless he's a personality and face of the company, and you really don't know if a female was involved. That's dope that you're in IT. You're breaking down barriers already, but like you said, blacks are already a minority in that field. There is a deficit in education and interest in the black community for the sciences in general.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    Perhaps women simply don't want to get into stem and perhaps we should not push them into anything and allow them the liberty to choose

Duh bruh

Read all of my posts

Stop acting like the "choices" we make everyday aren't made under varying degrees of pressure

Shid if I had my way I'd walk around in my pjs and sweats all day every day but obviously that wouldn't be so great for my career and social life

• desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol @ the kim kardashian app

Ur being disingenuous

Sure more women should start their own companies/ tech startups, but fact is the STEM fields are male dominated. And it's because of a multitude of reasons

Women being allergic to books and working long hours is not one

And we aren't just naturally disinterested in tech

Girls historically have not been as encouraged to go into into these fields as their male counter parts

At least imho ... And there's plenty of studies that have suggested such

I just used gender typed toys and how video games are largely marketing for boys as an example

My point being the toys, games we play with as children have an incredible influence on us.

While it may be going too far to say that toys create a child’s career path, it certainly affects them

Another factor worth discussing is that girls don't see a lot of women working in these fields particularly in positions of power so that can be discouraging

Not to say there aren't people including women who find the STEM fields boring and rather go another route

People have a choice in the career path they choose to take

But let's not act like that choice isn't made under heavy pressure

More women in these high paying industries would help to close the wage gap significantly and help grow the economy

It's making a ? tone of money and it's an example of a female entering tech and finding success, but i'm suggesting to go further and make it yourself. There was nothing humorous intended in that statement. Games are the only technology based product marketed towards boys because idk, they are trying to sell things to boys? When an increasing amount of females show interest, more will be geared towards them. What i'm seeing instead of creation, is an attack on products that boys like because they must be protected from ? while females can enjoy men unbridled.

What heavy pressure? Self imposed societal pressures that affect what males and females are supposed to consider as the norm? One of my male co-workers is going to school to be a Nurse. It weirded me out because we think of a Nurse a certain way. But truth be told, that ? is hard and guess what, it's a STEM field that doesn't get attention it deserves. If you feel pressured by anybody, then blame yourself for succumbing. Feminism is supposed to be about creating the opportunity, not just ? talking. Like i said, i know a lot of women that are already the STEM field but society likes a news piece so they focus on Videogames which actually don't matter at all to society other then for training purposes.

I Lol'd the kim kardashian app because I'm sure men are largely responsible for the coding of the app

And this isn't an attack on men or the things boys love ...wtf?

Even though from my experiences working with men in the IT industry, I don't always free comfortable/welcome ... But I digress

This about addressing the gender wage gap in a meaningful and realistic way

Again according to labor statistic numbers women are severely underrepresented in all the STEM fields not just the gaming industry... A simple Google search will tell u that

And STEM fields are the highest paying industries

More women in STEM means a greater pool or talent, and a higher quality of life for more women and their children ... And it helps grow the economy

That's why I feel this an important issue

I'm not ? just to ?

And yes there are things we can do as parents and as a society to better spark girls passion for technology, science, math and engineering so there will be more women in STEM

Same as we should be doing things so more blks into the STEM industries

Considering that women are concentrated in low-wage jobs, if we were to raise the minimum wage they'll have an immediate impact on the wage gap as well

Even though Kim didn't program it, she was aware enough to enter that market and eat. At the end of the day, it's about creating and properly marketing an attractive product or service. Carving paths is all i'm talking about.

Nobody gives a damn about the programmer anyway unless he's a personality and face of the company, and you really don't know if a female was involved. That's dope that you're in IT. You're breaking down barriers already, but like you said, blacks are already a minority in that field. There is a deficit in education and interest in the black community for the sciences in general.

The average programmer is the one making money though

Yea it's easy to blame the underrepresentation of women and blks in the stem fields on their being a lack of interest

I'm just trying to dig deeper into what other reasons these disparities exist

I know growing up a lot of my classmates didn't have access to computers or the Internet so they really didn't have great exposure to the tech world
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I dont understand articles like this.

Its as if the author just wants to say "women dont have ? to ? about and need to get their ? back in the kitchen!!"

who gives a ? if some of those statistics are rooted in information or arent as relevant.

How you gonna tell a group of people that their suffering is made up or not important enough to fight oppression? Especially when there happens to be loads of historical precedence for it?

For every group of people claiming to be oppressed you could write this exact ? article.