Stephen A. Smith wants every black American to vote Republican in one election

Options
janklow
janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
the one thing i haven't seen said about this notion is that i THINK it's basically something Malcolm X was talking back in the 1960s...

Stephen A. Smith wants every black American to vote Republican in one election
In a talk at the Impact Symposium at Vanderbilt University in Nashville on Tuesday, ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith said he believed every black American should vote Republican in one election to let the political parties know the African American population wasn’t underneath one party’s control.

“What I dream is that for one election, just one, every black person in America vote Republican,” he said.

From his talk:

Black folks in America are telling one party, “We don’t give a damn about you.” They’re telling the other party, “You’ve got our vote.” Therefore, you have labeled yourself “disenfranchised” because one party knows they’ve got you under their thumb. The other party knows they’ll never get you and nobody comes to address your interest.

Smith went on to say that no one in the Republican party would feel the need to cater to African American needs if they felt it was impossible to earn black votes, and voting Republican would be akin to “shopping around.”

Comments

• mldardy
    mldardy Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    Options
    Stephen A. Smith with another one of his dumb ideas/comments. Needs to shutup.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mldardy wrote: »

Basically....I guess Stephen A Smith never heard of independent parties
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As i said in the other thread hes trying to be a voice in the community .. he is just a mouth and fills ups space with words...
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The idea is stupid but he's right.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Members, Writer Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, just to show you're not under control by one party vote for the party that is completely against you and ? yourself over for 4 years. I would say stick to sports talk but he sucks at that nowadays too.
  • janklow
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    Yeah, just to show you're not under control by one party vote for the party that is completely against you and ? yourself over for 4 years.
    disclaimer: this idea isn't going to happen

that said, the CONCEPT isn't that you vote for a party and get ? over four 4 years; the concept is that you vote what kind of voting you can/do deliver as a demographic and leverage it to get both parties to come through for you. also, i imagine you could run with this in a non-presidential year

• janklow
    Options
    Parallel wrote: »
    Yeah, just to show you're not under control by one party vote for the party that is completely against you and ? yourself over for 4 years.
    disclaimer: this idea isn't going to happen

that said, the CONCEPT isn't that you vote for a party and get ? over four 4 years; the concept is that you vote what kind of voting you can/do deliver as a demographic and leverage it to get both parties to come through for you. also, i imagine you could run with this in a non-presidential year

• ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mldardy wrote: »

Basically....I guess Stephen A Smith never heard of independent parties
    This. Why vote Republican. How about we support a 3rd party candidate who's actually about something. Then get Latino & Asian voters on board.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I read what you posted janklow and can respect the thought behind why you'd post it; on the otherhand Stephen A has said some negative things about blacks with an uneducated frame of thought on so many occasions I can barely deal with him. I used to like his show and listening to him, until he kept saying stuff on blacks that was negative. I put him with Charles Barkley. On some stuff they're on point, but on racial matters no. I do get the point though.
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the plan is genius. Not sure if some of yall got the scope of what he was saying. Republicans don't campaign in black areas and don't have black agendas because we overwhelmingly vote Democrat all the time. What was the last thing done that was specific to blacks by democrats though?? Democrats are in a position now where they will be in our community to mobilize the votes during elections then we don't here from them. We've voted Democrat overwhelmingly since lyndon Johnson. Name something your rep has done lately.... What smith is suggesting is wee vote republican. Nothing g will change for those 4 years, but once it's time for re-election, you'll have repubs fighting to keep our vote by actively campaigning to our interests and Democrats killing themselves because without our vote, they'll never hold office again
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Neither party has our best interest in mind and voting based on that mentality is the only thing that will help the community grow...
  • janklow
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »
    I read what you posted janklow and can respect the thought behind why you'd post it; on the otherhand Stephen A has said some negative things about blacks with an uneducated frame of thought on so many occasions I can barely deal with him.
    oh, i won't claim he's the best spokesperson for the theory being presented (which doesn't help sell it)

• MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at something Malcolm x would say...makes no sense.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the plan is genius. Not sure if some of yall got the scope of what he was saying. Republicans don't campaign in black areas and don't have black agendas because we overwhelmingly vote Democrat all the time. What was the last thing done that was specific to blacks by democrats though?? Democrats are in a position now where they will be in our community to mobilize the votes during elections then we don't here from them. We've voted Democrat overwhelmingly since lyndon Johnson. Name something your rep has done lately.... What smith is suggesting is wee vote republican. Nothing g will change for those 4 years, but once it's time for re-election, you'll have repubs fighting to keep our vote by actively campaigning to our interests and Democrats killing themselves because without our vote, they'll never hold office again

I hear that but Republicans have to earn our vote too. Cutting social programs while increasing funds for military spending and killing around the world is no way to gain our trust. If Republicans found a way to earn our vote, more of us would vote for them.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Republicans have their base. They don't need us to get elected. Now that demographics are changing they have to do something
  • janklow
    Options
    Lol at something Malcolm x would say...makes no sense.
    read that autobiography again, because this theory was literally stated in it

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My rep (Congresman John Lewis) personally went to battle with the VA to help my granddaddy get his benefits reinstated before he died. For that reason, in addition to his entire legacy, John Lewis is getting my vote on any ticket he's on that I'm eligible for.

But nah I get what you're saying and I've been saying this for a minute to. We need to make democrats earn our vote again. I don't think voting Republican unconditionally is the way to go either though. We'd be better off having a highly publicized boycott of all national elections and make all parties court us.
  • alliknowishate
    alliknowishate Members Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Blacks should just quit votin until we get we want
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Republicans and their base despise us black folk. Look at fox news portrayal of black people.