When you first moved out on your own...?

Options
13»

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BIGG WILL wrote: »
    ? all that...

Went to the Army at 18, came back at 22. Took me a while to find a Job, but I did. Lived with my Parents until I had over 20K saved up. When I did move out I purchased a Townhome (said ? making the rent man rich). Now, Im in the position to sell my Townhome, make some money, and hopefully purchase my dream home.

There are lots of ways to play the game, but that's how I did it.

This is the ideal method imo

Too many people let outside influence get in their ear and move out on principle, but after college, age 21-23, man thats a blip in the radar long term you gon be payin rent/mortgage damn near the rest of your natueal life. The amount you could save is ridiculous

Thats IF you got folks u can live bare living with i could not, no fukin sir. But i still got 6 months of free rent before i couldnt take it. Thats still over 6k
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had a little over 14k saved when I moved out after I came back home after undergrad. This was after two years. Save as much as you can and once you're out, try to live below your means for awhile it will pay off in the long run..
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    2.5k my ? . Fresh out of university in May of that year.
    The little bit of money that I saved was ? from my summer job, work study from the school year, and money from freelance work (web developer). Living with my parents was not an option because they had moved southward to VA, and the interactive industry in the Tri-State had more opportunities for me. Plus I had a serious situation with my s/o, so there was no incentive to bounce at all.

Found a 1BR apartment for a little under 850 a year. (Utilities included). The ? was a leap of faith because although I had interviews lined up, I did not have an actual position set. Moved in June 4th. Took the s/o with me. It took me another 4 weeks to nail my first internship.

To make a long story short, career has gone well. With that said, do not do what I did if you don't have to ? . Had moving out not been a necessity for my career or rather, had my parents not felt it necessary to move I'd easily be well on my way to a down payment or even full purchase of some property in downtown Philly. I'm in my mid 20s.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Save enough to cover you at least 2 months of rent if u ever lose your job. So about 2 stacks in case of an emergency
    u dont need cable with all the streaming and downloading available.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why would anyone save up to rent? Why don't you save up...to make a down payment on a house/condo? You're in a good position don't ? it up and end throwing your money away then have to move back 6 months from now and start from scratch, make an investment ? rent
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah every time I've moves out I've done it offa paycheck. Just moved again not too long ago.

I'm a middle child so I've always wanted to move out. First moved when I was like 18
  • pimped_out_red
    pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have a car first...

1.moved into an apt in the hood for affordable 19yr old rent
    2.worked two jobs to have extra money
    3.got a really gd Job that used my degree
    4.got roommates to save for a new car
    5.now looking for a home, tired of sharing walls..
  • pimped_out_red
    pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't ready, had to spend my 1st week without power (cold showers,battery operated fans, ate at wrk, and brought subway home), definitely get a plan, act like you about to move and start making calls to utility places(unknown deposits for first timers and no cosigners fees) and do the math(round up not down), and after all of that- make sure u have a car
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had 10k saved up from basic training and no job. I got a car before I moved out so it was probably somewhere around 5k-6k when I actually moved out. I was also splitting rent with my older sister. As far as how much you should save up, you should really only need to worry about saving up enough for a deposit, first month and any other costs associated with moving in. The bigger concern would be budgeting how much you're going to need to live comfortably when you move out.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    01717_53Pc64p7an7_600x450.jpg

The room I'm nearing an agreement on is the one near the top. $450/mo all utilities included private bath I'm going places carajo
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vaseo apartment living
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Moved out a couple months before my 18th birthday. Me and 2 of my friends couldnt stay at home anymore and luckily we all had jobs so we got a deposit and first months rent, and went and got our own place.

It was a ? too but we had to move fast and couldnt afford anything else. I was just getting back into school in my senior year and had a full time job that didnt pay for ? . Didnt move back to my parents house until i was 20, and that was for 6 months to help my mom pay the mortgage While she tried to sell the house and move down to the states. Then after that i been on my own since. Got a roommate cuz cost of living is too ? damn high up here. One bedrooms can cost 1100 bucks a month for something decent.