Damon Dash's Top 10 Rules for Success

Options
2»

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, thats rigjt, Who wants a 9-5 when you can be a boss and have a 8-8!

Owning a business is not just all peachy
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    I dont know where other nggas at but im in DC. Nggas out here got govt jobs, "9-5", but in a lot of cases workin from HOME, pullin down 100k, and THEN go to school/consult/do IT/sing/club promote, etc

I simply cant respect the 'boss life', 'F a 9-5' mindset bc i came for the money. If im makin more money than you i could care less that you dont have a boss. Nggas out here bustin they ass to own their own business and pulin down half of what a ngga sitton at a desk does.

What it is to me is certain nggas like Dame just cant exist in that professional setting and literally dont eant to 'dress up'. Like i literally know nggas like that

i was jus arguin wit a ? like u the other night..

all yall worried about is the money u can make.. and dont mind subjecting urself to have it..

then turn around and complain about black people not havin ownership and generational wealth..

but i digress..

not havin that dame argument in one week. hahaha
  • CapitalB
    Options

jus say u prefer the easy money and be done wit it. hahaha
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The independence, and pride that comes with being in control of your own destiny can't be quantified. Plus the growth oppurtunity that you have when you're the top of the food chain in your specific business far outweighs the raises that you get a 9-5. The only thing that I like about a 9-5 is safety, but I wouldn't trade safety in that sense for everything else I previously mentioned. Ain't nothin like building something from nothing and being able to say you did it for dolo.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I dont know where other nggas at but im in DC. Nggas out here got govt jobs, "9-5", but in a lot of cases workin from HOME, pullin down 100k, and THEN go to school/consult/do IT/sing/club promote, etc

I simply cant respect the 'boss life', 'F a 9-5' mindset bc i came for the money. If im makin more money than you i could care less that you dont have a boss. Nggas out here bustin they ass to own their own business and pulin down half of what a ngga sitton at a desk does.

What it is to me is certain nggas like Dame just cant exist in that professional setting and literally dont eant to 'dress up'. Like i literally know nggas like that

I understand both sides tho cause I've done both with running my own ? and doing the corporate govt thing

the problem isn't that every ? should be a boss............the problem is that ? should go where they shine best

but the issue is ? get a lil something and think what they are doing is the end all/be all like they the only ones smart enough to have cracked the code

some cats ain't corporate/some ain't willing to play by somebody else's rules............the bottom line is you have to do what takes you the furthest and gives you the most choices on how you really want to live

you either a check taker, or a check maker........and check makers always gon eat no matter what cause they always have choices

being a "boss" is a mentality, it's not a title somebody else gives you
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mc317 wrote: »
    stop nuttin in hoodrats
    always ? hoes in the ?
    ? teagues
    never ? superhead

Stomp Johnson approves.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True success when you master your chakra system and are one with nature(? ) and become a defied being.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

I understand both sides tho cause I've done both with running my own ? and doing the corporate govt thing

the problem isn't that every ? should be a boss............the problem is that ? should go where they shine best

but the issue is ? get a lil something and think what they are doing is the end all/be all like they the only ones smart enough to have cracked the code

some cats ain't corporate/some ain't willing to play by somebody else's rules............the bottom line is you have to do what takes you the furthest and gives you the most choices on how you really want to live

you either a check taker, or a check maker........and check makers always gon eat no matter what cause they always have choices

I'd actually say it's a problem to think every ? should be a boss too. I said this in the last thread about Dame...if every ? is a boss then who the ? are the employees making all these companies work? You're 100% right you should go where you shine best and some ? who think being a boss is best are misguided just like it's somebody sitting behind a desk who'd be much better off running their own business.

Also it is VERY understated how hard it is to run your own business. Its a lot of self discipline you have to be mentally prepared for. The idea of being your own boss is sometimes better than the actual reality and that reality knocks people unprepared on their ass.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall still aint saying where the start up money comin from...

I got businesses..do U? Where did your start up money come from? Your mamma?

FOH with the speculations..

The guy who compiled the list and made the youtube video
    Evan Carmichael
    My take: Getting out of 9-5 is the first goal. It doesn't happen right away but you have to make it your goal. Start part time, pay your bills, and get out of 9-5 as soon as you can
  • S2J
    Options

Very well said. Only thing i'll add, and the only real point i have but a monumental one imo is this:

Being a boss is NOT snynonomous with a lot of money, flash, freedom, or any of the often laughable assumptions that come with it

Contrary to popular belief, the face of the average "boss" is not this:

man-deck-yacht-laptop-6447088.jpg

Its this:

0326-valley-1jpg-3c41126dcd3d8ee5.jpg

Ok. Lets just get that out the way.

And on the flip, guys, i promise: working a 9-5 is REALLY not that bad lol I promise you aint. I respect the Dame Dash boss way, but hey there's this other plan: Go to fuking college, or get some certs, you'll make more money at your 9-5, move to DC or NY, get paid twice as much , buy some property in the south and/or near a college, rent or flip it, etc, etc. Try it sometime!
  • S2J
    Options
    @Bossexcellence Well easy is relative. Nggas on the block see me in a suit and just how i carry myself, or when i run a meeting outta town and there's 1 black face among 100, they look at me like 'damn, i couldnt do that.' But thats neither here nor there

Easy money, in the grand scheme of things, thats fair enough. But to keep it 100 my ngga your occupation isnt even legal lls (allegedly!) And im confident you wont see that as hatin thats just keepin it real, so you cant really speak on the topic. Similar to Dame talkin about start up money like its water,when we know his came from the dope game

So in my HUMBLE opinion, 9/10 when we have these convos the people goating and biggin up that boss life aint bosses themselves they young nggas and/or just imaging how great it sounds . Hey, just my opinion maybe im,wrong but i DID make a 'all my business owners post up' thread and that ? looked like the inside of Camden Yards today but HEY maybe its just me!! Lls
  • CapitalB
    Options
    i said i aint about to argue wit u square..
    too busy doin "illegal ? " out here in Vegas wit all this money and ? floatin around. lol