Jeff Hardy: Asset or Liability?

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in Off The Turn Buckle
Since his return to TNA in 2010 Jeff Hardy's career has been mired by one bizarre situation after another putting TNA in unfavorable positions time and time again. First it was his infamous drug issues, which were well documented before he joined TNA the first time in 2004, those demons continues to plague him when he returned years later. Hardy shows up for a huge main event PPV match with Sting high. This puts Bischoff and Sting in position to have to "Montreal" Hardy for the sake of everyone involved.
Hardy gets arrested, charged and convicted of drug related felonies, subsequently he cannot travel with the company to its largest market (England). Now just a few days ago, just after the match where he and Matt win the TNA tag championships is aired on television, Hardy breaks his leg riding a motorbike requiring surgery and will sideline his in-ring career for the next few months.

When is enough enough? Look I respect Jeff, he's a legend and I been watching him grow as a performer since he was a jobber in the WWF. He is a great performer, always willing to give his body for our entertainment. That scary fall off the cage onto the steel steps he took earlier this year to write himself off TV (so TNA could go overseas without him) is just one of many such spots but he has proven many times now that he is unreliable.

Look at it from two perspectives: one yours as a fan and the other as a TNA executive.
As a fan we may not be ready to see Jeff go but at 40 his time is drawing near and injuries like this could limit his abilities in-ring. Do we really want Jeff holding on too long and ending up like Ric Flair or Kurt Angle? A shell of himself that pushes forward partially out of passion and partially out of necessity? I don't think so. We see too much of that already in wrestling.

If you are a TNA exec. a look at Jeff should be different. You put millions of dollars in investment in his brand and character, hours and hours of in investment in his television persona(s) and it seems that as the years roll on wrestling has become more of a hobby that generates money and his hobbies like being an artist or singing in a rock band or riding dirt bikes are his real passions. You've supported him during his darkest times, when others have or would have turned their backs on him and it seems that all of this has gotten you nowhere. Hardy really hasn't been a major main event factor in over two years, he can't travel when the company goes to it's hottest market and he engages in dangerous hobbies risking injury while under contract.
Do you still see Jeff Hardy as a valuable asset to your company? I mean sure the Hardy Boyz as a collective is valuable and I'd be lying if I said Jeff had no value at all but it has greatly diminished over the years

By no means am I saying that TNA should fire Jeff Hardy, although I wouldn't be surprised or upset if they did. What I am saying is that maybe Jeff has finally crossed the line from someone who is highly valuable to a roster and devolved to someone that doesn't really matter that much anymore. Hardy being written off or injured just doesn't seem as important to their product as it used to be. Hardy not being in main events hasn't really mattered in any measurable whether that is attendance or television, he just seems like someone who brings more negatives than positives now.

Jeff Hardy: Asset or Liability? 9 votes

Asset
44%
DOPEdweebzTheBoyRoPeezy_JenkinsLUClEN 4 votes
Liability
55%
willhustlejonoIdiopathic JokerAlready Home_17TonyDubbz 5 votes

Comments

• jono
    Options
    Liability
    Damn this is long, my bad I wrote so much.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Liability
    my 2 cents

I haven't watched him since he left wwe in 09 but I heard about the ? he's been through. dude was only behind cena in terms of popularity in 2008-2009. I don't know how good or bad he is in the ring currently but I'd hate to see him 10-20 years from now. all the ? he put his body through (both in ring action and drugs) will eventually come back to bite him

he could never get out of his own way but I still feel he'll go down as one of the most beloved superstars *gross*
    uh...performers of all time
  • jono
    Options
    Liability
    Jeff is a bonified legend but he literally hasn't done anything worth a damn in years. The most noteworthy thing he's done has been the unprotected fall off the cage spot earlier this year.

He was doing the ? Willow gimmick before The Hardy Boyz reunited.

As a performer he hasn't lost that much of a step but storyline wise he hasn't been doing ? .

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Asset
    ehh i say jeff is still high quality in the ring, the reuniting with matt is good for em both cuz they had jeff doing nothing for a while, but i still see him as a plus in the midcard kinda like cena is right now for wwe. true he does have high risk hobbies obviously, and i believe he's always had em, and he's very lucky he's never been hurt from wrestling b4 this but itll probably catch up wit him eventually. sometimes to me since he's stopped with the drugs it looks like a simple back bump hurts him more than most perhaps due to his style over the years. and of course like u say his value maybe diminishing but i still say a slight asset. id almost have angle as barely more of a liability than jeff. but its getting close to time for both of em to either come home or retire. i can understand the liability arguments.
  • jono
    Options
    Liability
    The major difference between Jeff and Angle is that I can't imagine TNA without Kurt Angle. They have relied on him so heavily for years but Angle has been a ninja turtle for almost 10 years and also developed drug and alcohol problems.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Liability
    Jeff had potential to be right up there next to Cena and Punk as the top main eventers in the WWE.

He let that go.

Now that he left WWE, he feels he can get away with the ? with Dixie.

He's right.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Asset
    Jeff has been nothing but an asset since the incident with Sting. Im surprised he didnt get another good run as a face. His tag teaming with Matt has helped established TNA tag tram division n the Omega indy scene. There's stories of Jeff coming out in crutches to indy shows to sign autographs even with his broken leg, that obviously have been left out. He's been nothing but class for the most part, but ignorant people want to paint him as a ? up cuz of his "image".
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Asset
    my 2 cents

I haven't watched him since he left wwe in 09

You're bias opinion didnt matter after reading that.

• DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Asset
    [img]https://scontent-lga.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11010290_711949722247700_7367607878779573056_n.jpg?oh=5c8a713d06ffc64684c0b34b4b882b70&oe=55CB0658[/img]
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Asset
    did jeff have a compound fracture?
  • jono
    Options
    Liability
    My homeboy met and took a picture with Jeff Hardy about 2-3 years ago when TNA was in Detroit. He told me that Jeff was a cool dude, I don't deny that.

But being a nice guy and being a reliable performer is two different things.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Asset
    jono wrote: »
    My homeboy met and took a picture with Jeff Hardy about 2-3 years ago when TNA was in Detroit. He told me that Jeff was a cool dude, I don't deny that.

But being a nice guy and being a reliable performer is two different things.

How has he been unreliable.