LAPD back @ it again: This time they shoot & ? unarmed black homeless man after an "altercation"

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://guardianlv.com/2015/05/lapd-officers-shoot-and-? -unarmed-man-in-venice-california/
LAPD Officers Shoot and ? Unarmed Man in Venice, California

A man was shot and killed on Tuesday night by Los Angeles Police officers in Venice, California, during a struggle after he apparently harassed people in a bar and fought with the bouncer. A coroner officials said the man was a drifter, African-American, and in his 20s. Moreover, LAPD Detective Meghan Aguilar stated the man was found to be unarmed.

At around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night, officers with the LAPD Pacific Division received a call from a local business, regarding the man who was walking in the area. According to Aguilar, the man got into an altercation with a bar bouncer. The shooting also happened close to the original area near Pacific and Windward Avenues. During the struggle, one officer was reported in have a minor injury to his knee.

Law enforcement officials stated that none of the officers involved in the shooting and none of the police cars on the scene were equipped with cameras. Investigators will retrieve video surveillance from nearby business and traffic cameras to piece together what happened during the incident. Other information regarding the officer’s use of a firearm and killing the unarmed man is currently unavailable.

It never stops.. IMO.. It's time for those LA ? to turn up again.. on some all out uprising type ? ...

Comments

• stringer bell
    http://laist.com/2015/05/06/lapd_chief_says_hes_very_concerned.php
    LAPD Chief: Shooting Of Unarmed Venice Man Doesn't Look Justified

LAPD Chief Beck is speaking out after viewing surveillance footage of an unarmed man being shot in Venice. He said that he is "very concerned" about the shooting.

Brendon Glenn, 29, has been identified by acquaintances as the man fatally shot by police officers last night near the iconic Venice sign last night, according to KTLA. Beck says that though the investigation into the shooting is just starting, he's worried about what he saw in surveillance video.

"Any time an unarmed person is shot by a Los Angeles police officer, it takes extraordinary circumstances to justify that, and I have not seen those extraordinary circumstances at this point," Beck said, according to KTLA.

The officer who opened fire on the suspect still hasn't been interviewed yet. Beck says they don't want to interview him while he is on medication for the knee injury he got during the altercation.

"We have not been able to interview the officer at this point," Beck said. "I don't know what was in the officer's mind. We expect to know more tomorrow. At this point, it appears that it was a physical altercation."

The shooting happened around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday evening on Windward Avenue just west of Pacific Avenue. Police say that two officers responded to a call of a person harassing people on Windward. Police spoke to the man, Glenn, briefly. But then they said they saw him tussling with a bouncer at the Townhouse bar, and intervened. Police got into a physical fight with the man before fatally shooting him.

Friends of Glenn's say that he had recently moved to the area from New York City, but he had already made an impression. A local resident Henry Geller told KTLA, "Whatever reason that they had to shoot him, I don’t think it was justified because he wasn’t a confrontational human being by any means. He was definitely like a peacemaker."

Earlier that evening, Glenn had just attended a support group at The Teen Project, which offers support for homeless youth. Timothy Pardue, who runs the center, told KTLA that he had been struggling: "He was crying and he was even saying he wanted his mom, and he just said his mom didn’t want him back home. He struggled with a lot of things."

Beck said that he wants the discussion around the shooting to focus on issues like mental illness, homelessness and alcohol more than race. He noted that the officer who shot Glenn was black.

"I know there are public concerns about this particular officer-involved shooting, as there are any time an unarmed individual is shot by a police officer. I am also very concerned about this shooting," Beck said. "We will expend all resources to find out the truth of what happened last night on Windward Avenue."

Beck says the LAPD will be holding a town hall meeting Thursday night with Inspector General Alexander Bustamante to discuss the shooting with the community.

• stringer bell
    edited May 2015
    703133_1280x720.jpg

472351356-an-lapd-officer-involved-in-a-fatal-shooting-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QXJb%2FZfaD7gAWC5gb5TyDa5Mwf9%2FDrhk6WRJ0h2iAnHlhHcj9jKW5NkrviZhoukAQA%3D%3D

Here is the ? that killed that man...
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Who cares that the pig was black?

It's about how white supremacy has made EVERYBODY afraid of black males. That includes house ? pigs too.

Plenty of studies show that even black people are discriminatory against black people. HOw dark skinned people even treat light skinned people better within the black community, etc.

The pig being black dont mean a ? thing to me. Still needs to go to prison. Cuz even a black pig wouldn't ? a white boy as quickly as he killed that black man.

• Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    police are so ?
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol ... never seen a police chief so quick to NOT give support for an officer's actions or deviate from the usual "waiting for all the facts to come out/make sure we don't rush to judgment/the investigation is ongoing"

Coincidence the police who did it was Black?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Ppl keep thinking it's different if the cop is black.

? no.

It's FTP

All of them.

Hell, its ? them even more because they should know the struggle. Like, they'd be going through the same ? as me if they weren't the law. They even get discrimated against on the force, Dorner didn't just get mad and start busting at them cops and their people for no reason.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LAPD Chief Beck is speaking out after viewing surveillance footage of an unarmed man being shot in Venice. He said that he is "very concerned" about the shooting.

Wonders if he'd have these same misgivings if the offending officer was White.

? that Black cop tho
  • stringer bell
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-shooting-venice-video-20150507-story.html
    Sources: Video of LAPD shooting in Venice doesn't explain officer's actions

Security video of a deadly encounter between two LAPD officers and an unarmed homeless man in Venice shows a brief struggle between the officers and the man but does not explain why one officer stepped away and opened fire, law enforcement sources said.

The recording shows the officer standing up and moving away from the Tuesday night altercation, ultimately standing a few feet away from the man when he fired what appeared to be two shots, the sources said.

The Times spoke to several people who have reviewed the footage, which has not been made public. The sources spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the recording publicly.

The sources said the recording showed the officers struggling with the man and successfully taking him to the ground. One source said it appeared the officers had control over him.

But then, the sources said, one of the officers stood up and began to move away. As he did that, they said, the man began to stand up and started struggling with the second officer.

For reasons that are unclear on the video, the sources said, the first officer then fires his weapon.

The sources noted there was no audio on the recording but said there was no visible physical action by the man that could explain why the officer shot him.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck told reporters Wednesday that he had reviewed the recording and was "very concerned" about the shooting. He declined to elaborate about what was on the video but said he did not see "the supporting evidence that I normally would."

"Any time an unarmed person is shot by a Los Angeles police officer, it takes extraordinary circumstances to justify that," Beck said. "I have not seen those extraordinary circumstances."

Beck's remarks drew a strong reaction from the president of the union who represents rank-and-file officers, who criticized the comments as "completely irresponsible" considering the investigation was still in its "early stages."

"We encourage everyone to reserve judgment until the investigation has run its course, and the facts are collected and assessed," President Craig Lally said in a statement.

On Thursday, Beck told KTLA that his comments were based on what he had seen so far and should not be considered a conclusive opinion.

"I don't think I rendered a judgment," he said. "I think I gave some factual statements about the state of the investigation, being very specific that this is not a conclusion that I am drawing and I will wait for the entire investigation to be presented to me before there is a conclusion."

LAPD officials say the confrontation started after two officers went to Windward Avenue about 11:20 p.m. Tuesday because someone reported a homeless man with a dog "harassing customers" outside a building. The officers talked to the man briefly, the LAPD said. When he walked toward the Venice boardwalk, the officers returned to their patrol car.

Soon after, police said, the officers saw the man "physically struggling" with a bouncer outside a bar. The officers approached the man and tried to detain him, police said, leading to the "physical altercation" that ended with the shooting.

The two officers involved have been removed from the field. The shooting will be reviewed by the civilian Police Commission, its inspector general and the district attorney's office.

The L.A. County Coroner identified the man Thursday as Brendon K. Glenn, 29. Friends had previously identified him to The Times as Brandon Glenn. The New York native started staying in Venice just a few months ago, people who knew him said. They described him as a kind man who constantly told people he loved them and treated his black Lab mix, Dozer, like "his baby."

But they also acknowledged he frequently drank. A manager of a homeless center on Windward Avenue said Glenn had stopped by the center Tuesday evening and admitted he had been drinking since 11 a.m.

Glenn's friends acknowledged he would sometimes be vocal when he drank -- one mentioned "a little mean streak" -- but said they had never seen him be aggressive.

The LAPD planned a community meeting at 6 p.m. to discuss the shooting at Westminster Elementary School, 1010 Abbot Kinney Blvd., in Venice. LAPD commanders who oversee the department's Pacific Division are scheduled to attend, along with Police Commission President Steve Soboroff and Inspector General Alex Bustamante.
  • stringer bell
    http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-venice-shooting-20150508-story.html
    Police denounced at Venice town hall session on homeless man's shooting

Anger spilled out of a packed auditorium in Venice on Thursday night as residents and activists blasted Los Angeles police officials over an officer's fatal shooting of an unarmed homeless man.

The town hall meeting, convened two days after Tuesday night's deadly encounter, drew a standing-room-only crowd at Westminster Elementary School. People in the audience often shouted down the speakers, demanding to see a video of the shooting and be given the name of the officer who fired his gun.

"We are here to listen. We are not here to be the talking heads and pontificate to you," said Deputy Chief Bea Girmala, the top-ranking LAPD official in attendance. "We are here to listen."

When Girmala first mentioned the shooting, she was quickly interrupted by shouts of "murder!" from the crowd. "Say it!" one man said.

"I am not going to say that," Girmala replied. "The investigation is still ongoing."

Those in attendance were upset over the death of Brendon Glenn, 29, a New York native who had recently been living in Venice. But they also criticized the city for what many described as a lack of resources to help the neighborhood's homeless population and called for better training for LAPD officers who interact with the mentally ill.

"We don't want a police officer in the car," one man said. "We want a professional mental health person in the car who understands what the problem really is."

The crowd erupted in applause.

Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority Commissioner Mike Neely, who was standing outside with dozens of other people who were unable to get into the packed auditorium, faulted top city leaders for failing to show up to face the angry crowd.

"Where is the mayor? Where is the chief of police?" Neely said. "I don't think they realize this person was someone people really cared about. He was connected to all the [homeless] services and he was struggling to improve his life."

Steve Soboroff, president of the Los Angeles Police Commission, said he wasn't surprised by the emotion he saw.

"I think it's important for me to look past all the frustration, the disrespect, the misinformation and the misconceptions to see what we can do better," he said. "Because the goal is zero. We want zero officer-involved shootings."

Police said the deadly encounter began about 11:20 p.m. when police responded to a stretch of Windward Avenue just off Venice's famed boardwalk. A caller had reported a homeless man — later identified as Glenn — who was "harassing customers" outside a building, LAPD officials said.

The two officers talked to Glenn briefly, the LAPD said. When he walked toward the boardwalk, the officers returned to their patrol car.

Soon after, police said, the officers saw Glenn "physically struggling" with a bouncer outside a bar. The officers approached the man and tried to detain him, police said, leading to a "physical altercation" that ended with the shooting.

The scuffle and shooting were captured by a security camera on a nearby building. What the recording shows — and what it doesn't — has prompted concern among LAPD officials.

Law enforcement sources said the recording showed the officers struggling with Glenn and successfully taking him to the ground. One source said it appeared that the officers had control over him.

But then, the sources said, one of the officers stood up and began to move away. As he did that, they said, Glenn also began to stand up and started struggling with the second officer.

The first officer, who was standing a few feet from Glenn, then fired what appeared to be two shots
    , the sources said.

The sources noted that there was no audio on the recording but said there was no visible physical action by Glenn that could explain why the officer shot him.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck told reporters that he had reviewed the footage and was "very concerned about the shooting." He declined to elaborate about what was on the video, but said he did not see "the supporting evidence that I normally would" that would justify an officer shooting an unarmed person.

The two officers involved have been removed from the field. The shooting will be reviewed by the civilian Police Commission, its inspector general and the district attorney's office.

On Thursday night, more than 100 people attended a candlelight vigil for Glenn on the sidewalk not far from where he was shot. One friend, Kory Artis, talked about how Glenn had offered his blanket one night.

"He always watched out for me," Artis said. "I saw him two hours before the shooting. I wish I never left him.… This cop needs to be in prison like I would be if I killed somebody. Brendon was unarmed."

Tim Pardue, who helps operate a drop-in center for the homeless called Protection and Direction, said he was working at his computer when he heard what he thought might be shots but he didn't move until he heard a police helicopter. He walked outside and saw a body on the ground a few doors down.

"I saw [Glenn's] dog Dozer and I knew it was him right away," Pardue said. "It was really a sad situation."

Earlier, speaking from Glenn's hometown of Troy, N.Y., his 79-year-old grandmother told The Times that his family was shocked to hear he had been shot by police. Ann McGuirk said her grandson wasn't a troublemaker and had kept in touch with his family and 3-year-old child since he moved to California.

McGuirk said her grandson came to Los Angeles because a friend lived there and he thought it would be a good place to work. The family encouraged the move, she said, because Glenn was young. They thought it would be a good experience.

"He didn't do anything to deserve to be shot dead. It was uncalled for," she said. "He had his whole life ahead of him."

• stringer bell
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-chief-absence-venice-20150511-story.html
    LAPD chief defends absence from heated Venice town hall

Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck defended his absence from a heated town hall meeting in Venice, telling reporters Monday that he also recommended the mayor not attend the community meeting convened after the fatal police shooting of a homeless man.

Several people who attended Thursday night's meeting faulted Beck and Mayor Eric Garcetti for not being there. Beck rebuffed the criticism of the mayor, saying it was “unfair” because previous mayors hadn't attended similar events in the past.

“I've been to a bunch of these meetings, town hall meetings, following a violent incident. I didn't go to this one, and if you want to criticize the chief for that, that's fine,” Beck said. “And I recommended to the mayor that he not go to this one. So if there’s criticism, it should be on me.”

Beck said the town hall event, which was attended by hundreds of people, was organized and handled by a “very capable” deputy chief, Bea Girmala. The chief said he had “tremendous confidence” in Girmala's leadership and said he trusted she would report back to him “in totality.”

Garcetti said he had “heard a lot of the feedback,” even without attending the meeting.

The remarks came during a news conference in which the mayor and chief discussed a weekend gun buyback event, one of a handful the city holds each year. But the conversation quickly turned to the deadly May 5 encounter in Venice, where a police officer shot and killed an unarmed homeless man.

Brendon Glenn’s death comes amid a heated national conversation about police officers and their use of force, particularly against black men. Glenn, 29, was black, as was the officer who shot him, the LAPD said.

The shooting was captured by a security camera on a nearby building. Beck said last week that after reviewing the recording, he was “very concerned” about the deadly encounter.

Garcetti said Monday that he had not seen the video, which has not been released. The mayor said making the recording public could hurt the investigation into the officer's actions.

“It's important to make sure that, especially if things are going to go to a criminal jury … that we not taint people one way or another,” Garcetti said.

Beck cautioned that the video, which sources said doesn't explain why the officer fired his weapon, was only one part of the ongoing investigation and must be examined along with other evidence.

Both Garcetti and Beck stressed that the shooting would be thoroughly reviewed by the LAPD, district attorney's office, civilian Police Commission and its inspector general.

Police said the deadly encounter began about 11:20 p.m. when officers were called to a stretch of Windward Avenue just off the Venice boardwalk. A caller had reported that a homeless man — later identified as Glenn — was “harassing customers” outside a building, LAPD officials said.

The two officers talked to Glenn briefly, the LAPD said. When he walked toward the boardwalk, the officers returned to their patrol car.

Soon after, police said, the officers saw Glenn “physically struggling” with a bouncer outside a bar. The officers approached the man and tried to detain him, police said, leading to a “physical altercation” that ended with one officer opening fire.

The two officers have been removed from the field. An LAPD spokesman said the department would release their names after it evaluated whether any credible threats have been made to the officers’ safety.
  • stringer bell
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/05/12/activists-demand-release-of-security-video-of-fatal-shooting-of-unarmed-homeless-man/
    Activists Demand Release Of Security Video Of Fatal Shooting Of Unarmed Homeless Man

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A group of activists will speak out Tuesday against the deadly police shooting of an unarmed homeless man in Venice.

The group will gather before Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck and the commission will hold their regular morning meeting to demand security video from the incident be released.

The video reportedly shows the May 6 fatal shooting of 29-year-old Brendon Glenn during an altercation with two officers.

In an exclusive interview with CBS2’s Pat Harvey, Beck said the video was not released due to various reasons including the integrity of the investigation.

“There’s a number of reasons it’s not being released. One, it is a piece of evidence. It’s not a totality of the investigation. It’s a strong piece of evidence that has to be viewed in the context of the other pieces of evidence,” he said.

Beck drew criticism from the police union after announcing during a news conference prior to the investigation that he was “very troubled” by the video that captured the incident.

“So, you don’t regret saying what you said?” Harvey asked Beck.

He replied, “No, because I think it was important to not only the organization but to the community that they know the chief of police has concerns with this shooting.”

The officers’ names have not been released to the public due to safety concerns, but Beck says he felt the need to disclose that both the shooting officer and Glenn are black.

“Race has become a great issue nationally in policing. Every tagline of every story is about the race of the officer and the race of the person the officer came in contact with. I knew that this would be asked. I knew it would part of the story, and I put it forth.”
  • stringer bell
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/05/12/la-police-union-denounces-very-little-public-outcry-over-officer-deaths/
    LA Police Union Denounces ‘Very Little’ Public Outcry Over Officer Deaths

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com/AP) — Members of the labor union for Los Angeles police officers are calling for more Angelenos to speak out against a string of violent crimes targeting police across the nation.

The Los Angeles Police Protective League, which serves as the the labor union for LAPD officers up to the rank of lieutenant, released a statement Tuesday noting “very little outcry from the public” over the deaths of of four officers ambushed and killed while on duty in the month of May.

While community members have rallied in response to the recent officer-involved shooting deaths of homeless man Brendon Glenn in Venice and Charly Keunang along Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles, the statement attributed to “LAPPL Board of Directors” alleges the public response to attacks on police officers has been far more muted.

“It seems like every few weeks we hear of another officer who has been murdered in cold blood, yet we have heard very little outcry from the public,” the blog post states. “How is it possible that the citizens in these communities are not outraged? Their protectors have bull’s-eyes on their backs, and no one seems to care.”

The blog goes on to urge members of the public “to raise enough attention and concern in their local communities to ensure that officers around the country are protected.”

It ends with the following question: “If officers continue to be consciously targeted and murdered in cold blood and little to nothing changes in the eyes of the public, what will happen? What have we as a society become?”

LAPD Cmdr. Smith confirmed earlier this week that two LAPD officers involved in the Glenn shooting have been reassigned to “home with pay”.

Smith also told CBS2’s Dave Lopez that Chief Charlie Beck has decided that the identities of the officers will not be released while the department assesses the validity of the threats against them.

Most recently in Baltimore, riots erupted after the funeral for Freddie Gray, a black man who suffered a fatal spinal injury while in police custody, according to the Associated Press.

Other high-profile cases of officers killing unarmed black residents include the deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri; Eric Garner in New York City; and Walter Scott in North Charleston, South Carolina.

Six officers involved in Gray’s death have been charged, as has the officer who killed Scott. Grand juries declined to charge the officers involved in Brown’s and Garner’s deaths.

giphy.gif
  • stringer bell
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-venice-shooting-police-commission-20150512-story.html
    Officers in fatal Venice shooting wore privately owned body cameras

The two Los Angeles police officers involved in last week’s deadly encounter with an unarmed homeless man in Venice were both wearing privately owned body cameras at the time of the shooting, the LAPD said Tuesday.

However, law enforcement sources said that although one of the cameras captured an initial encounter with the man, neither was on during the physical altercation that ended when one officer fatally shot Brendon Glenn.

The May 5 shooting was also captured by a security camera posted on a nearby building. LAPD Chief Charlie Beck told reporters earlier Tuesday that the department had obtained “several pieces of video evidence” but did not elaborate.

Cmdr. Andrew Smith, a department spokesman, confirmed the officers were wearing “personally owned body cameras” but declined to detail what they captured.

“As Chief Beck mentioned, there are several sources of video evidence that the department has obtained regarding this shooting,” he said. “The department has obtained all the footage off of those body cameras. That is going to be included as part of the investigation.”

Los Angeles is slated to become the largest city in the nation to equip all its patrol officers with body cameras after the Los Angeles Police Commission approved rules for the devices last month. Mayor Eric Garcetti has said the city plans to buy 7,000 devices.

Also Tuesday, activists at the Police Commission meeting called for more accountability for officers involved in deadly encounters, including criminal charges against the officer who fatally shot Glenn.

The weekly commission meeting marked the first since the deadly encounter between the two LAPD officers and Glenn, 29, a New York native who friends said had only recently begun staying in Venice.

Activist Najee Ali urged department officials to quickly release a security video that captured the shooting, as well as the name of the officer who shot Glenn. He also pressed Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey to file criminal charges against that officer.

"That officer doesn't belong in the ranks of the LAPD," Ali said. "He belongs in jail."

One woman held her young daughter in her arms, saying that she was afraid the girl might someday be hurt by police.

"The violence has got to stop. We're losing our kids," Brandy Brown said. "Please stop this unnecessary killing, because I don't want to bury my daughter nor my nephews nor ...other kids."

Glenn's death comes amid a heated national conversation about police officers and their use of force, particularly against black men. Many people who have spoken outagainst the shooting have said they believe Glenn's race was a factor in his death.Glenn was black, as was the officer who shot him, the LAPD said.

The fatal shooting was captured by a security camera on a nearby building. Beck said last week that after reviewing the recording, he was "very concerned” about the incident.

Beck told reporters Tuesday that he had no plans to release the video, saying that it was a piece of evidence that "shouldn't be out there to taint the jury pool, nor should it be out there to taint witnesses."

"It's necessary that that piece of evidence, no matter how interesting it may be to the public or the media, maintain its stature as a piece of evidence," Beck said.

When asked if there was more than one recording of the incident, Beck said there were "several pieces of video evidence," but did not elaborate. He said he had also been in contact with Lacey regarding the shooting.

Police said the deadly encounter began about 11:20 p.m., when officers were called to Windward Avenue just off Venice's famed boardwalk. A caller had reported a homeless man — later identified as Glenn — who was "harassing customers" outside a building, LAPD officials said.

Soon after, police said, the officers saw Glenn "physically struggling" with a bouncer outside a bar. The officers approached the man and tried to detain him, police said, leading to a "physical altercation" that ended with one officer opening fire.

Two days after the shooting, the LAPD hosted a town hall meeting at a Venice elementary school that drew hundreds of residents. Dozens of attendees blasted police officials over the killing. But they also criticized the city over what they described as a lack of resources for the homeless and called for better training for LAPD officers who interact with the mentally ill.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? is ridiculous. This must have been the worlds most physically intimidating homeless man
  • stringer bell
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    ? is ridiculous. This must have been the worlds most physically intimidating homeless man

Well he was black.. So you know he must've had super human Incredible Hulk like strength.. Police in "fear" defense logic...
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well we don't care bout the homeless in LA so we won't be "turning up" about it.
  • stringer bell
    703133_1280x720.jpg

Here is the ? that killed that man...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/05/20/police-id-lapd-officer-involved-in-venice-shooting/
    Police Release Identity Of LAPD Officer Involved in Venice Shooting

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Authorities have identified the LAPD officer involved in the deadly shooting of a homeless man in Venice as Officer Clifford Proctor.

Proctor’s identity had been withheld by police because of safety concerns over the shooting of 29-year-old Brendon Glenn during a reported altercation on May 5 near 80 Windward Avenue in LAPD’s Pacific Area.

Proctor was responding to a 911 call that a man who turned out to be Glenn was harassing passersby on a block of restaurants and bars, the Associated Press reported.

After a struggle, the officer shot Glenn, who later died at a local hospital.

Earlier this month, LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said he has viewed surveillance video of the incident, and it “shows a series of events” that aligns with the officers’ report of what happened, including the “physical altercation” that set off the shooting.
  • stringer bell
    http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-venice-shooting-20150520-story.html
    LAPD officer in fatal Venice shooting was subject of criminal probe

A Los Angeles police officer who fatally shot an unarmed homeless man in Venice two weeks ago is a seven-year department veteran who was the subject of a criminal investigation for omitting witness statements in a police report, according to a district attorney's office memo.

Prosecutors declined to pursue charges of perjury or filing a false police report against Officer Clifford Proctor last year but faulted him for not including statements from two witnesses that he "should reasonably have known … were material to the investigation and should have been included in the report," the memo said.

LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith, a department spokesman, declined to comment on whether Proctor, 50, was disciplined, saying police personnel records were confidential under state law.

Proctor's attorney, Larry Hanna, said investigations found "there was no misconduct." He said "some of the facts were misconstrued by a supervisor," but Hanna declined to elaborate.

As for the shooting in Venice, Hanna asked the public to "let the process work itself out."

"These officers were out there trying to do their job," he said. "It's going to turn out hopefully that they followed all of the procedures when he used deadly force."

The department this week publicly identified Proctor as the officer who shot and killed Brendon Glenn on May 5. Proctor and his partner, who was not identified by the LAPD because he did not fire his weapon, have not returned to work since the deadly encounter.

The fatal shooting was captured by a security camera on a nearby building and resulted in heated criticism of the department. Chief Charlie Beck said that after reviewing the recording he was "very concerned" about the incident. The recording has not been made public.

The LAPD, the district attorney's office and the Los Angeles police commission's inspector general are investigating the killing, as is routine in police shootings that result in someone's death.

The earlier investigation into how Proctor handled the police report stemmed from a Nov. 17, 2012, arrest.

Proctor and another officer from the LAPD's Pacific Division responded to a report that someone had committed vandalism and violated a restraining order at a home in Westchester, according to the district attorney's memo. At the home, officers spoke with Richard Smith, who said he had seen another man, Salvatori Avini, pull the wooden gate to Smith's driveway with his hands, breaking it off its hinges.

Proctor verified that Smith had a restraining order against Avini, and arrested Avini on suspicion of violating that order and vandalism, the memo said.

When a detective reviewed Proctor's report, the memo said, she noticed the arrest cover sheet included the names of two witnesses but no statements from them. She followed up with Proctor, who told her the witnesses were tow truck drivers who said they had damaged the gate to Smith's property.

When the detective asked why Proctor didn't include those statements, the officer replied it was because they conflicted with what the victim had reported, the memo said. Proctor initially claimed a sergeant had directed him to leave the statements out of the report but later retracted that statement, according to the memo. The detective pointed out that he still could have arrested Avini for allegedly violating a restraining order. The D.A. memo said Proctor responded: "That's a misdemeanor. I wanted him for a felony."

Proctor submitted another report quoting the tow truck drivers as saying they had been hired by Avini to retrieve several cars and had broken the gate while attempting to get access to the driveway. Prosecutors charged Avini with violating a restraining order, according to the memo.

A month after the arrest, Avini made a complaint to the LAPD against Proctor, alleging that the officer falsely arrested him and impounded his vehicle with "evil intent," the district attorney memo said.

The district attorney's office determined that Proctor hadn't filed a false police report.

"Proctor did not make statements in his report that he knew to be false," wrote Deputy Dist. Atty. Rosa Alarcon, in declining the case. "Although an argument can be made that omitting a material statement is tantamount to making a false statement, there is no authority to support such an argument."

Proctor's shooting of Glenn came amid a heated national conversation about police officers and their use of force, particularly against black men. Glenn, 29, was black, as is Proctor, the LAPD said.

The shooting occurred after officers were called to Windward Avenue just off Venice's famed boardwalk about 11:20 p.m. A caller had reported a homeless man — later identified as Glenn — who was "harassing customers" outside a building, LAPD officials said. The two officers talked to Glenn briefly, the LAPD said.

When he walked toward the boardwalk, the officers returned to their patrol car. Soon after, police said, the officers saw Glenn "physically struggling" with a bouncer outside a bar. The officers approached the man and tried to detain him, police said, leading to a "physical altercation" that ended with Proctor opening fire.

• stringer bell
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lapd-venice-shooting-20160412-story.html
    LAPD killing of unarmed homeless man in Venice was unjustified, Police Commission says

A video contradicts a Los Angeles police officer's claim that he fatally shot an unarmed homeless man in Venice last year because the man was grabbing his partner's gun holster, according to police records made public Tuesday.

The recording, taken from a bar security camera, does not show Brendon Glenn's hand "on or near any portion" of the partner's holster, according to a report from LAPD Chief Charlie Beck to the city's Police Commission. The officer's partner told investigators he never felt "any jerking movements" near his gun, the report added.

The commission unanimously sided with Beck on Tuesday, concluding that Officer Clifford Proctor violated department policy when he fatally shot Glenn in the back near the Venice boardwalk. The panel and Beck also faulted Proctor's decision to draw his weapon, along with the tactics he and his partner used leading up to the deadly encounter.

The decision caps an 11-month review of the May 5 shooting, one of several by LAPD officers last year that fueled criticism of police and how officers use force, particularly against African Americans. Glenn, 29, was black, as is Proctor.

The LAPD's investigation into Glenn's death took a rare public turn earlier this year, when Beck revealed that he had recommended that L.A. County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey criminally charge Proctor. It was the first time as chief that Beck had called for charges against one of his officers in a fatal on-duty shooting.

Prosecutors are still reviewing the case, a district attorney's spokeswoman said Tuesday. Such charges are rare in Los Angeles, where prosecutors haven't charged a law enforcement officer in an on-duty shooting since 2001.

LAPD investigators concluded that Glenn was on his stomach, attempting to push himself off the ground, when Proctor stepped back and opened fire, Beck previously said. Proctor's partner, the chief added earlier this year, told investigators that he did not know why the officer opened fire.

According to the report released Tuesday, Proctor told investigators that Glenn's left hand was on his partner's holster as they struggled on the ground.

"Everything was happening so fast," Proctor was quoted as saying. "And everybody's hands were flailing around."

Proctor fired a shot but said that he didn't see Glenn react. Proctor admitted that he then had "a little tunnel vision" and fired a second shot.

"I don't really know where his hands were but he is still holding on," Proctor told investigators, the report said. The officer said his partner "was still fighting with him. What was going through my mind when I fired the second shot was I honestly believed that this guy was on something strong, like some kind of drug. And the first round did absolutely nothing to affect him. He didn't move."

The names of the officers were redacted from a copy of the report that was made public, but the LAPD previously identified Proctor as the officer who opened fire.

Beck said in his report to the commission that the evidence examined in the case "does not independently support" Proctor's claim that Glenn was trying to take his partner's gun. Proctor's partner, the report added, never made "any statements or actions that would have suggested" Glenn was trying to take the weapon.

The video that captured the struggle and shooting was taken from the Townhouse bar. The video has not been made public.

The deadly encounter began shortly before midnight, when Proctor and his partner went to Windward Avenue near the famed Venice boardwalk after police received a complaint that a homeless man was harassing customers outside a building, the LAPD said.

The officers briefly talked to the man -- later identified as Glenn -- and returned to their patrol car after he walked toward the boardwalk, police said.

Soon after, the LAPD said, the officers saw Glenn struggling with a bouncer outside a nearby bar. The officers tried to detain Glenn, police said, leading to a "physical altercation" that ended when Proctor opened fire.

Almost immediately, the LAPD drew criticism over the deadly shooting. Activists and friends of Glenn packed a town hall meeting days after the shooting, angrily complaining about police officers' use of deadly force and how they interact with homeless Angelenos.

Glenn's family has filed two wrongful death lawsuits, saying his killing "was completely unjustified."

• skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too bad we have aan attorney general too weak to do anything about this ? . Loretta Lynch is more of a ? than Obama. I didn't think that was possible.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    too bad we have aan attorney general too weak to do anything about this ? . Loretta Lynch is more of a ? than Obama. I didn't think that was possible.

You don't think that was by design?