Faux News Host: ‘Last Acceptable Form Of Discrimination’ Is Of White Men...

Options
2»

Comments

• Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    No. It's of skinny people, heterosexual people, men, whites, and the able bodied.

Chris Rock already explained why.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fVIs0D2acgw

Exactly, they are favored in society while the others have true consequences.

In what alternate reality have skinny men ever been considered conventionally attractive, at least because they are skinny (rather than despite it)? Even unusually skinny women, outside of the fashion industry which heterosexual males seem to have very little to do with, aren't really considered 'conventionally attractive'. Most men don't want an unusually skinny woman. Not all men are attracted to even moderately skinny women so it's not like we're all on the same page on who's 'privileged'. What should it matter to a woman who's dissatisfied with or insecure about her appearance or who can't attract the people she's attracted to that some other people, or "society", consider her to be attractive? Some overweight women have fewer body image problems than some thin women do.

In general I think it's more acceptable to mock men for their appearance than it is to mock women for their appearance (that's not to say that women aren't mocked for their appearance all the time but it's not really considered tactful). A minor example would be a scene I remembered in Lost when Anna Lucia goes up to Hurley and casually calls him 'tubby'. Anna Lucia wasn't a mean character but she would have been if Hurley was a woman. Sawyer was walking the line between being a genuine ? and playfully antagonistic but it would have been above and beyond what he could get away with if he mocked a woman for being overweight or Rose's appearance and I don't think she was considered anymore conventionally unattractive than Hurley was. In my observation and personal experience, it seems more politically correct to mock men for their appearance whether they're conventionally attractive or not, or even for being conventionally unattractive.

I agree that it's considered more 'politically correct' to discriminate against white men and that this is an irrational double standard. I don't agree that there's an agenda to promote the 'feminization' of men or that this is necessarily a bad thing, I don't know what she thinks this involves but in general I view so-called 'feminine' traits as being superior to supposedly 'masculine' ones.
    If we stopped practicing our black privilege maybe the white man could finally get ahead.

The problem is that 'the white man', like 'society', doesn't actually exist. There's no static privilege or underdog card that you have all of the time or none of the time. There are trends, there are patterns, but what it comes down to is a bunch of separate individuals and highly varied interactions and personal experiences. Sometimes being white is an advantage and sometimes it is not.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    No. It's of skinny people, heterosexual people, men, whites, and the able bodied.

Chris Rock already explained why.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fVIs0D2acgw

Exactly, they are favored in society while the others have true consequences.

In what alternate reality have skinny men ever been considered conventionally attractive, at least because they are skinny (rather than despite it)? Even unusually skinny women, outside of the fashion industry which heterosexual males seem to have very little to do with, aren't really considered 'conventionally attractive'. Most men don't want an unusually skinny woman. Not all men are attracted to even moderately skinny women so it's not like we're all on the same page on who's 'privileged'. What should it matter to a woman who's dissatisfied with or insecure about her appearance or who can't attract the people she's attracted to that some other people, or "society", consider her to be attractive? Some overweight women have fewer body image problems than some thin women do.

In general I think it's more acceptable to mock men for their appearance than it is to mock women for their appearance (that's not to say that women aren't mocked for their appearance all the time but it's not really considered tactful). A minor example would be a scene I remembered in Lost when Anna Lucia goes up to Hurley and casually calls him 'tubby'. Anna Lucia wasn't a mean character but she would have been if Hurley was a woman. Sawyer was walking the line between being a genuine ? and playfully antagonistic but it would have been above and beyond what he could get away with if he mocked a woman for being overweight or Rose's appearance and I don't think she was considered anymore conventionally unattractive than Hurley was. In my observation and personal experience, it seems more politically correct to mock men for their appearance whether they're conventionally attractive or not, or even for being conventionally unattractive.

I agree that it's considered more 'politically correct' to discriminate against white men and that this is an irrational double standard. I don't agree that there's an agenda to promote the 'feminization' of men or that this is necessarily a bad thing, I don't know what she thinks this involves but in general I view so-called 'feminine' traits as being superior to supposedly 'masculine' ones.
    If we stopped practicing our black privilege maybe the white man could finally get ahead.

The problem is that 'the white man', like 'society', doesn't actually exist. There's no static privilege or underdog card that you have all of the time or none of the time. There are trends, there are patterns, but what it comes down to is a bunch of separate individuals and highly varied interactions and personal experiences. Sometimes being white is an advantage and sometimes it is not.

giphy.gif
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The majority of people make excuses for themselves on why they couldn't achieve xyz. Many people make other people their excuse.

Xyz can range from big things they felt they needed to do (get that job) or little things they wanted to do (qualify for that specific house).

Fox News exists to confirm and solidify the excuses in their minds as facts. It reinforces their paranoia. They give them a prejudice undertone on one end, then reinforce that undertone on the other end.

It is vigilant conservatism. If they sleep, they slip. It's not like they're gon come right out and say "we rich white folks running ? but you lower middle class and poorer white folks made enough babies to keep yourself poor enough to keep our ship (racism) riding the waves. You are the majority and your perceived misery works for us". So they have to keep that majority hungry. The best way to keep conserving what you have while you're winning is to make your soldiers feel that they are losing and they need to work harder.

"Don't look at reality. Don't look at what you've done..... blame them! Whoever they are".

It's mind control at work.
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The majority of people make excuses for themselves on why they couldn't achieve xyz. Many people make other people their excuse.

Xyz can range from big things they felt they needed to do (get that job) or little things they wanted to do (qualify for that specific house).

Fox News exists to confirm and solidify the excuses in their minds as facts. It reinforces their paranoia. They give them a prejudice undertone on one end, then reinforce that undertone on the other end.

It is vigilant conservatism. If they sleep, they slip. It's not like they're gon come right out and say "we rich white folks running ? but you lower middle class and poorer white folks made enough babies to keep yourself poor enough to keep our ship (racism) riding the waves. You are the majority and your perceived misery works for us". So they have to keep that majority hungry. The best way to keep conserving what you have while you're winning is to make your soldiers feel that they are losing and they need to work harder.

"Don't look at reality. Don't look at what you've done..... blame them! Whoever they are".

It's mind control at work.

To add to your point, the majority of Fox's audience is white and from middle America ie. Nebraska the Dakotas, Iowa etc. Places where they won't even encounter people that look differently from them yet they are the main ones that are vocal about the threat against white America.