China Passes Mexico as the Top Source of New U.S. Immigrants

Options
StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in The Social Lounge
http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-REB-32259
Move over, Mexico. When it comes to sending immigrants to the U.S., China and India have taken over.
China was the country of origin for 147,000 recent U.S. immigrants in 2013, while Mexico sent just 125,000, according to a Census Bureau study by researcher Eric Jensen and others presented Friday. India, with 129,000 immigrants, also beat Mexico, though the two countries’ results weren’t statistically different from each other.
For the study, presented at the Population Association of America conference in San Diego, researchers analyzed annual immigration data for 2000 to 2013 from the American Community Survey. The annual survey conducted by the Census Bureau asks where respondents lived the year before. Researchers counted as an ”immigrant” any foreign-born person in the U.S. who said they previously lived abroad, without asking about legal status. (So while the data include undocumented immigrants, it may undercount them.)

A year earlier, in 2012, Mexico and China had been basically tied for top-sending country—with Mexico at 125,000 and China at 124,000.

It’s not just China and India. Several of the top immigrant-sending countries in 2013 were from Asia, including South Korea, the Philippines and Japan.
For a decade, immigration to the U.S. from China and India, which boast the world’s biggest populations, has been rising. Meanwhile, immigration from Mexico has been declining due to improvements in the Mexican economy and lower Mexican birth rates. More recently, the Great Recession also reduced illegal immigration from Mexico.
A shift in America’s immigrant community will take far longer. In 2012, five times as many immigrants in the U.S. were from Mexico than China.
But the shifting nature of the immigrant flows seen in the Census study give us a peek at what’s likely to happen to the overall racial and ethnic makeup of the U.S. population.
The millennial generation—roughly speaking, people born between 1982 and 2000, but definitions vary and there’s no real endpoint—is already the most diverse generation in U.S. history. As Brookings Institution demographer William Frey details in his recent book, “Diversity Explosion,” the social, economic and cultural implications are just starting to come into view. In time—2044, to be exact, according to Census projections—the entire U.S. population will have no racial majority, and, instead, a melting ? of minorities will shape U.S. society and politics.
Hispanics are still America’s biggest racial or ethnic minority group. But roughly two-thirds of them are now native-born, not recent immigrants. Among the U.S. Asian population, two-thirds (65%) are foreign-born.
Census researchers note that the rise of this latest, Asian wave of immigration seems—and is—dramatic, but past waves have been dramatic, too. The U.S.’s earliest immigrant waves came from Northern and Western Europe, then Southern and Eastern Europe, and finally, from Latin America.
Plenty of recent immigrants don’t come from China, India or Mexico. When you combine them, recent immigrants from those nations made up just about a third of the roughly 1.2 million immigrants in 2013, the Census analysis shows.
The question now is just how big and significant this Asian wave is going to be. “Whether these recent trends signal a new and distinct wave of immigration is yet to be seen,” Census researchers say.

Comments

• AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All good cause white people love Asians.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    AZTG wrote: »

I was reading a kindle sample of a book about Asian American history and how Asian-Americans were treated when they started immigrating to the U.S in the 19th century (during the California Gold Rush?). I can't remember the details but it was brutal (and violent). Even police officers would harass them.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just means that most of the Mexicans are already over here
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Legal immigrants"
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Take that Mexican number and double that.

Illegals stay coming.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »

I was reading a kindle sample of a book about Asian American history and how Asian-Americans were treated when they started immigrating to the U.S in the 19th century (during the California Gold Rush?). I can't remember the details but it was brutal (and violent). Even police officers would harass them.

that was a loooong looooong time ago. Japanese americans got reparations for their brief inconvenience that they experienced during world war II … think about that
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Got damn .. youre an idiot.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no way to tell how many Mexicans are in this ?
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »

that was a loooong looooong time ago. Japanese americans got reparations for their brief inconvenience that they experienced during world war II … think about that

I wasn't talking about the treatment of Japanese Americans during the second world war and even if I was, what would your point be? I was only saying that Asian-Americans have been heavily discriminated against in the past.

Are you being sarcastic? It was more than a 'brief inconvenience'.
    Got damn .. youre an idiot.

How could anyone possibly take offense to that post. If I said something historically inaccurate then correct me, it's not like I insulted your mother.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Even police officers? Whaaattttttttttttttttttttttt? Police wouldn't do some ? like that.

• whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    at least a small portion of the hispanic chicks were nice looking....these asians...well I dont give one ? oneway or the other.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I wasn't talking about the treatment of Japanese Americans during the second world war and even if I was, what would your point be? I was only saying that Asian-Americans have been heavily discriminated against in the past.

because you dropped that random tidbit in response to this post :

So it SEEMS (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you said it to counter the notion that white people love Asians. You pointed to an example from the 19th century in which Asians faced discrimination in this country. So I pointed to an example from much more recent times to which the government made right for the wrongs of the treatment of Asian Americans.

And I would happily argue that 5 years in an internment camp is a minor inconvenience when compared to 400 years of chattel slavery, 50+ years of Black Codes , a few decades of Jim Crow, to which no reparations were paid and even apologies or acknowledgements of wrongdoing haven't been forthcoming.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By 2040 Mexicans will have more people that anybody in the U.S

Besides sneaking over...i know ? that "fall in love" n get pregnant in Mexico n that allows the other parent to come over
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Illegals stay coming.

Actually mexican illegal immigration is down, central american and dominican illegal immigration is up tho
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

because you dropped that random tidbit in response to this post :

So it SEEMS (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you said it to counter the notion that white people love Asians. You pointed to an example from the 19th century in which Asians faced discrimination in this country. So I pointed to an example from much more recent times to which the government made right for the wrongs of the treatment of Asian Americans.

And I would happily argue that 5 years in an internment camp is a minor inconvenience when compared to 400 years of chattel slavery, 50+ years of Black Codes , a few decades of Jim Crow, to which no reparations were paid and even apologies or acknowledgements of wrongdoing haven't been forthcoming.

What you have to understand is that ubantu is an absolute ? with no form of pride or sense of masculinity let alone any kind of racial affinity for black people.

he gleefully admits to being a cuckold
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options

What he means is current East Asian immigrants, like the Chinese, are viewed as more productive and not as much of a drain as Brown and Black immigrants are; therefore, there will not be as much of an outcry over their growing #s.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    at least a small portion of the hispanic chicks were nice looking....these asians...well I dont give one ? oneway or the other.

What you trying to say lol
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

Illegals stay coming.

Actually mexican illegal immigration is down, central american and dominican illegal immigration is up tho

Yeah central Americans are coming here illegally in amazing numbers the past few years.....with Obama and others pushing amnesty policies and deferred deportations, I expect the numbers to grow even more.

Good luck finding decent paying jobs young citizens going to school, there may be no room for you at this pace....
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Illegals stay coming.

Yeah central Americans are coming here illegally in amazing numbers the past few years.....with Obama and others pushing amnesty policies and deferred deportations, I expect the numbers to grow even more.

Good luck finding decent paying jobs young citizens going to school, there may be no room for you at this pace....

indian and chinese immigrants are more of a threat than pablo the painter from el salvador. if you are competing against Jesus Angel Moya Rodriguez from Gwallamale you lost
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2015
    Options

Illegals stay coming.

indian and chinese immigrants are more of a threat than pablo the painter from el salvador. if you are competing against Jesus Angel Moya Rodriguez from Gwallamale you lost

I got a college degree with tons of corporate experience, so I'm good but many young people trying to get a job while going to college or technical school are gonna have a hard time competing with Pablo or Jesus or anyone illegal willing to work for very low wages. It's a growing problem I've seen many young people complain about.

Most young folk don't got good education or working skills yet, so many of them are ? as more and more illegals come in.
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    send them ? back . ? muthafukas really cant drive or see ?