What is the Christian perspective on cremation/

Options
KLICHE
KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Maybe "DoU" has some insight to this??? Anyone's input much appreciated..

My mother's side of the family is of Christian faith and my mother has said she would like to be cremated.. I asked why.. she replied by saying her family before did it, and saves space.. and that was it. I wondered how it was viewed from a biblical standpoint, and whether it was possibly a pagan thing? Or what and where and why it started...

I also said I though being buried was the standard procedure.. and she replied by telling me what is the difference and that in the end it is still "ashes to ashes, dust to dust"???

My concern was with ones belief say in resurrection and being brought up again later as it is believed by some, would this at all be detrimental to it all if being cremated instead of being buried?

Cheers :D

Comments

• KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Every Christian should voluntarily die of crucifixion.
  • KLICHE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Every Christian should voluntarily die of crucifixion.

I'm guessing you knew i would say "and why is that?" seeing would have have been nice to pop in some reasons why for me.. lol

so ah.. "and why is that?" is it in the bible?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Nothing. If you want to be cremated go ahead. ? will have no trouble resurrecting anybody when the day comes. He knows where every dust particle and DNA strand is. He made us and He will resurrect us no matter which way we died and were buried. Nobody will be able to pull the dirt over their head and hide from ? when the day of reckoning comes. Everybody will stand before ? one day to be judged. My prayer is that I will see all of you at the resurrection of the just. Why? Because, "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of ? and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." Revelation 20:6
  • KLICHE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Nothing. If you want to be cremated go ahead. ? will have no trouble resurrecting anybody when the day comes. He knows where every dust particle and DNA strand is. He made us and He will resurrect us no matter which way we died and were buried. Nobody will be able to pull the dirt over their head and hide from ? when the day of reckoning comes. Everybody will stand before ? one day to be judged. My prayer is that I will see all of you at the resurrection of the just. Why? Because, "Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of ? and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years." Revelation 20:6

ok cheers DoU. Still looking at finding out how far back the whole cremation thing started? Guessing probably something that has been around just as long as burial..
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options

If we just become spiritual beings why does he need our physical objects to ressurect us?
  • KLICHE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If we just become spiritual beings why does he need our physical objects to ressurect us?

good point.. plus all the physical stuff is basically mentioned that not a big deal along with material items as the soul is the thing in question really. so yeah makes sense to be. guess can bury, burn whatever
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Cremation has been around as far back as archeological history can take us. The Romans utilized it alot. As for Christianity, different groups view cremation differently. I can only speak on the Roman Catholic view, seeing as how I went to Catholic schools (athiest tho....don't ask). Burial as we typically understand it was used to imitate the burial burial of Christ. Furthermore, it was considered good practice since they wanted bodies to remain whole for the resurrection of all those who have died on the day of Revelation. Cremation was therefore frowned upon and considered pagan, but was used in some cases like the Black Death where it was necessary to cremate en mass to prevent the "death vapors" of the corpses from killing more.
  • Emerald City Rolla
    Emerald City Rolla Members Posts: 564
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Forgot to add that these days the Vatican has no problem with cremation as they follow the "? can do anything" thought and don't see it was an impediment for Revelations
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I could never find a Biblical reason not to be cremated.......

.......I think all that ritualistic funeral stuff is unbiblical too, I don't want people gathered around my corpse when I'm gone. It's so pointless.

PEACE