Question about iTunes

BarryHalls
BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
I forgot how went about doing this back in the day. I completely forgot.

Anyways, what im trying to do is have my whole iTunes library on my comp but not the actual mp3 files. This way when I add a new album to my library, I can sync it with all my music still on my ipod but that new album is added. Then delete or store the downloaded files I just added elsewhere.

I aint trippin about listening to my songs on my computer. I remember the songs being translucent and prompt "file cannot be located" if i tried to play it on my comp. I'm just trying to get it on my ipod without using all my HDD space to keep the original files on there.

Any help is much appreciated IC fam!

Comments

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    iTunes needs access to the your HDD to be able to play the songs saved in your libary if the songs were not bought from iTunes.

If all you music is bought from the store, just use your cloud.
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i only use itunes for podcasts. i did buy a book once. life of the party: stories of a perpetual man child. but i listen to his podcast and wanted to hear his story he always talks about.
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DNB1 wrote: »
    iTunes needs access to the your HDD to be able to play the songs saved in your libary if the songs were not bought from iTunes.

I understand that but I'm not trying to play my music on my computer.

I remember having my whole iTunes library, all songs were "greyed out" since I didnt have the original files on my internal HDD. Im not trippin off that, I just want to be able to sync new albums I added to the library, to my iPod and not erasing albums that I previously have on it. Since I moved the original files to my external HDD.

For example, I'll have 5 albums on my iTunes library, sync them onto my iPod and eject it. Move those 5 albums that were in my iTunes onto my external HDD to clear space on my internal HDD, which will make my iTunes library empty. Now I'll download 2 new albums, add that to iTunes and sync it to my iPod. Since those 5 albums I previously put on the iPod are no longer in my iTunes library, I'll sync the 2 new albums but my previous 5 will disappear since they are no longer in my library.

How do I keep those 5 albums on the iPod, add the 2 new albums without erasing those 5 previous albums since I dont have the original files on my Internal HDD?

I remember doing that ? back in the day. I dont ? with the cloud since I dont cop albums on iTunes.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BarryHalls wrote: »

I remember having my whole iTunes library, all songs were "greyed out" since I didnt have the original files on my internal HDD. Im not trippin off that, I just want to be able to sync new albums I added to the library, to my iPod and not erasing albums that I previously have on it. Since I moved the original files to my external HDD.

For example, I'll have 5 albums on my iTunes library, sync them onto my iPod and eject it. Move those 5 albums that were in my iTunes onto my external HDD to clear space on my internal HDD, which will make my iTunes library empty. Now I'll download 2 new albums, add that to iTunes and sync it to my iPod. Since those 5 albums I previously put on the iPod are no longer in my iTunes library, I'll sync the 2 new albums but my previous 5 will disappear since they are no longer in my library.

How do I keep those 5 albums on the iPod, add the 2 new albums without erasing those 5 previous albums since I dont have the original files on my Internal HDD?

I remember doing that ? back in the day. I dont ? with the cloud since I dont cop albums on iTunes.

Stop syncing...

Drag and drop them from your iTunes library into the iPod and your problem should be solved...
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    achewon87 wrote: »

Stop syncing...

Drag and drop them from your iTunes library into the iPod and your problem should be solved...

@achewon87

To piggy back off of what you just said. Do you know what takes so long for songs to sync? Cause I do the drag and drop for my ipod. I also have a 64 touch with about 5500 songs on it. Cause it's been a time or to when I was syncing and my pc goes into sleep. ...... I wake it back up and only have like 1500 songs on it, and I'll have to start all over again. Make me wish Microsoft would come back with the zune
  • Nastynate1219
    Nastynate1219 Members Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

Stop syncing...

@achewon87

To piggy back off of what you just said. Do you know what takes so long for songs to sync? Cause I do the drag and drop for my ipod. I also have a 64 touch with about 5500 songs on it. Cause it's been a time or to when I was syncing and my pc goes into sleep. ...... I wake it back up and only have like 1500 songs on it, and I'll have to start all over again. Make me wish Microsoft would come back with the zune

turn off sleep mode because when your computer goes in sleep mode it disconnect from from your internet
    and the syncing taking so long it depends on your internet speed

• achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015

Stop syncing...

@achewon87

@bangingscrew901

It might be converting the music files to the 128kbps AAC bit rate and that is why taking so long with all those songs it would take along time to convert and sync...

Basically compressing the files so you have more space on the music player...

Check your settings when syncing and make sure it's not checked, unless you really need the space then you will need to convert or delete some of those files...

Other than that you will need to set the sleep mode on the PC to something a little higher so it doesn't sleep during your sync...

Hopefully that helps in someway...
  • banginscrew901
    @achewon87
    @Nastynate1219

OK. All the music is in on my hard drive Internet is pretty fast. I usually run a season of some TV show so it can finish syncing. Also when I delete a bunch of songs it takes a long time to sync. ... I guess I'm asking why in the hell it takes so long to sync?
  • banginscrew901

Appreciate the info one more question with Icloud can I sync the whole 64gb to the cloud? Nothing but music no apps or pictures
  • iNeverCould
    iNeverCould Members Posts: 60
    My cpu wont allow me itunes for some reason.