What happens when a real good cop does the right thing & reports the wrongdoing of the bad cops...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JozUx5EpZU

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/16/baltimore-joe-crystal_n_7582374.html
"Former Detective Joe Crystal sat at a back table in Martin’s West Ballroom last Thursday, scanning the room filled with police officers for any friends he still had left.

Under glowing chandeliers, more than 500 law enforcement officials and their families mingled prior to an awards ceremony honoring Baltimore’s finest. Crystal, 34, was one of the people up for an award, though few had expected him to show. He was a pariah. He had informed on two other cops who engaged in police brutality. And it had cost him his livelihood.

Earlier that day, Crystal showed off the house he was staying in while in town for the ceremony. He ran his hand over the marble surface of a bar he had made himself."

Comments

• yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *See Richie Roberts in American Gangster
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good Cop = Oxymoron. A good cop is no longer a cop.

The system will never charge/convict itself. Police represent/enforce the "policies" of the system.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    It's time that the mainstream narrative and talking point of "the vast majority of cops are good cops but the few bad apples need to be rooted out" be contested.

The vast majority of cops even if not participating in wrong doing themselves at least know of the wrong doing that is going on in their department and they don't speak out about it for fear of backlash.

If I don't ? anybody but I hang out with people that ? women in front of me and I don't do anything to help the women..and I don't tell anybody…would I still be considered a good person just because I'm not personally ? the women?

I think most people would agree that if I don't at least speak up then I'm just as bad

That sounds erroneous. If ? is bad not stopping it may also be bad, but it's not as bad as ? . The cops doing nothing are not blameless, but they are not as bad as the true perpetrators.

You're basically saying those not doing the act are equally as guilty, which seems unjustifiable.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    It's time that the mainstream narrative and talking point of "the vast majority of cops are good cops but the few bad apples need to be rooted out" be contested.

The vast majority of cops even if not participating in wrong doing themselves at least know of the wrong doing that is going on in their department and they don't speak out about it for fear of backlash.

If I don't ? anybody but I hang out with people that ? women in front of me and I don't do anything to help the women..and I don't tell anybody…would I still be considered a good person just because I'm not personally ? the women?

I think most people would agree that if I don't at least speak up then I'm just as bad

That sounds erroneous. If ? is bad not stopping it may also be bad, but it's not as bad as ? . The cops doing nothing are not blameless, but they are not as bad as the true perpetrators.

You're basically saying those not doing the act are equally as guilty, which seems unjustifiable.

Didn't say the bolded at all. The underline sums up why you agree with me
  • LUClEN
    Options

8Didn't say the bolded at all. The underline sums up why you agree with me

Except you did say that:

"I think most people would agree that if I don't at least speak up then I'm just as bad"
  • Stiff
    Options

Except you did say that:

"I think most people would agree that if I don't at least speak up then I'm just as bad"

I'm pretty sure most people would agree that if I associate with rapists…who consistently ? women around me..and I do nothing to help the women that are being ? …and don't tell anybody after the fact…that I'm just as bad as the ones who are actually doing the ? that I associate with.

You may not personally agree but I'd be willing to bet that you're in the minority.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think that the misconception of "stop snitching" being unique to the black community should end here.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Comparing criminals (rapists) to men and women that vow to serve and protect and uphold what is just is comparing apples and oranges.

This protect our own cop mentality is ? disgusting.
  • LUClEN
    Options

Except you did say that:

I'm pretty sure most people would agree that if I associate with rapists…who consistently ? women around me..and I do nothing to help the women that are being ? …and don't tell anybody after the fact…that I'm just as bad as the ones who are actually doing the ? that I associate with.

You may not personally agree but I'd be willing to bet that you're in the minority.

No court in the developed world would punish a failure to report a crime as severely as they would the actual crime.
  • Stiff
    Options

Except you did say that:

No court in the developed world would punish a failure to report a crime as severely as they would the actual crime.

You derive your morality from the courts?
  • LUClEN
    Options

Except you did say that:

My logic is influenced by law. An accessory does not hold as much blame as the primary actor, and in your example the person is not even quite an accessory, which would mean they have even less blame.
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    die a hero, or live long enough and become the villain
  • Stiff
    Options

Except you did say that:

My logic is influenced by law. An accessory does not hold as much blame as the primary actor, and in your example the person is not even quite an accessory, which would mean they have even less blame.

Lol you like arguing just to argue. The fact of the matter and my original point is if I associate with people that consistently ? women in front of me..and I never do anything to help and don't tell anybody about it..MOST people would not consider me a good person given those facts.

Replace women with children..if I associate with people that sexually abuse children all the time in front of me and I never do anything to help the children and never speak up for them, again most people would not consider me to be a good person considering those facts. Even if technically I'm not guilty of a crime. You agree with that basic premise, yes?
  • LUClEN
    Options

Except you did say that:

Lol you like arguing just to argue. The fact of the matter and my original point is if I associate with people that consistently ? women in front of me..and I never do anything to help and don't tell anybody about it..MOST people would not consider me a good person given those facts.

Replace women with children..if I associate with people that sexually abuse children all the time in front of me and I never do anything to help the children and never speak up for them, again most people would not consider me to be a good person considering those facts. Even if technically I'm not guilty of a crime. You agree with that basic premise, yes?

I agree that not stopping something wrong is wrong, but I'm just not seeing how you can go from that to saying that it's as wrong as doing something wrong. The guy who sees a lady getting mugged and just keeps on walking by like he saw nothing happen is not as despicable as the mugger himself.

The only reason why the witness to that could be said to be doing anything wrong to begin with is because there was someone else doing something wrong first. Remove the witness and the crime still exists. Remove the mugger and the crime ceases. This just goes to show that they are not the same even though I do agree both are bad.
  • Stiff
    Options

Except you did say that:

I agree that not stopping something wrong is wrong, but I'm just not seeing how you can go from that to saying that it's as wrong as doing something wrong. The guy who sees a lady getting mugged and just keeps on walking by like he saw nothing happen is not as despicable as the mugger himself.

The only reason why the witness to that could be said to be doing anything wrong to begin with is because there was someone else doing something wrong first. Remove the witness and the crime still exists. Remove the mugger and the crime ceases. This just goes to show that they are not the same even though I do agree both are bad.

So you agreed with my point but disagreed with "just as bad" …. so again my point remains

The narrative that the overwhelming majority of cops are good needs to be contested
  • LUClEN
    Options

Except you did say that:

So you agreed with my point but disagreed with "just as bad" …. so again my point remains

The narrative that the overwhelming majority of cops are good needs to be contested

I interpreted those as two separate points. I agreed with one but not the other. Everything else made perfect sense. White Americans who spread the notion of most cops being good will cover their ears and refuse to listen though