Who had the better rookie year as head coach: David Blatt or Tom Thibodeau?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
Blatt got to the finals his first year with a rumored player/coach in LeBron James and 2 other top 10 players after rebounding from a turbulent first half of the season.

Thibs got to the ECF with the would-be MVP in Derrick Rose and a long list of role players as a supporting cast, ending the regular season with the best record and best defense in all of basketball.

Who had the better rookie year?

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RespectfulEverlastingEquestrian.gif

LeBron Coaches that team
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • soul rattler
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    thib1.gif

Oh ? is that what he looks like smiling? Looks like he's salivating over his next meal.
    9TRAY wrote: »
    LeBron Coaches that team
    You're not suggesting that because a player calls a play or changes the play on the floor, that that player is the real coach, are you? Cause Jason Kidd did it, Kobe did it, Tim Duncan did it. Most people would credit the coach for knowing when to defer to their best player.
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One got to the finals. One didn't.

Blatt.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »

Blatt.

Neither won a chip.When you're a serious contender, 2nd place don't mean ? .

Meanwhile, Thibs got COY.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seriously? At least you know Thibodeau is a decent coach. Blatt coaches like a passive version of Tucker's dad from Hey Arnold, 'ol get the ball to LeBron"-ass ? .
  • soul rattler
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    Seriously? At least you know Thibodeau is a decent coach. Blatt coaches like a passive version of Tucker's dad from Hey Arnold, 'ol get the ball to LeBron"-ass ? .

You don't think coaching LeBron in a year like this would affect any coach? When the new tv deal takes place and a lot of big names are free agents, Bron included, the coaching position will be a delicate position, especially in Cleveland where they'll do anything to please him.
  • coop9889
    Options

Blatt.

Getting to the finals is more successful than not getting to the finals.

Getting to the finals is more impressive than winning COY. COY doesn't mean ? . You couldn't name the last 5 coach of the years without looking it up.

Blatt had the more successful rookie season. Not to mention, Blatt BEAT Thibs in the playoffs so......
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    thib1.gif

Oh ? is that what he looks like smiling? Looks like he's salivating over his next meal.
    9TRAY wrote: »
    LeBron Coaches that team
    You're not suggesting that because a player calls a play or changes the play on the floor, that that player is the real coach, are you? Cause Jason Kidd did it, Kobe did it, Tim Duncan did it. Most people would credit the coach for knowing when to defer to their best player.

I'm implying that David Blatt is a placeholder & will be shipped back to Russia whenever Teflon LeBron gives the word, Bruh
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ? with Thib's. He a hell of a coach.
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They talked about tyronn lue having a better grasp of the team...

Thibs
  • soul rattler
    Options

Blatt.

Getting to the finals is more successful than not getting to the finals.

Getting to the finals is more impressive than winning COY. COY doesn't mean ? . You couldn't name the last 5 coach of the years without looking it up.

Blatt had the more successful rookie season. Not to mention, Blatt BEAT Thibs in the playoffs so......

Challenging someone on the internet to answer something without looking it up is so ridiculous I don't even know why you bothered saying it. Yes, I keep up with COY's. NBA coaching is an important part of the game, which is why I made this thread.

Then you say COY doesn't mean ? in a thread about coaches... The ? ?

Bottom line, neither one of them won a title their rookie year so comparing who got closer but still lost is irrelevant. Also, Thibs wasn't a rookie head coach when Blatt was a rookie head coach, which this thread is about, so for the third time, why even say..... Ah ? it.
  • coop9889
    Options
    You aren't asking who's the better coach. "Who had the better rookie season" means we are measuring success.

It's more successful reaching the finals than getting bounced in the conference finals, no matter how you spin it.

And saying Thibs wasn't a rookie head coach when Blatt was only strengthens my argument. Blatt beat Thibs when Thibs already had NBA coaching and playoffs experience and many years with his team. Good job.
  • coop9889
    Options
    And no, COY doesn't mean ? .

Lot of good it did for Thibs' job security... or Mike Brown, or Scott Brooks, or Avery Johnson, or George Karl.

The list goes on...
  • soul rattler
    Options
    First, nobody is safe from getting fired, traded, orotherwise ran out for that matter. It happened to Phil, it happened to Doc. It's happened to countless HOF players.

Regardless, we aren't talking Thibs' 14-15 year. I asked who had the better rookie year as head coach and laid out the facts. Blatt beat Thibs? Great. Thibs' rookie year he beat EVERYONE and had the best record in the league. If you want to talk about being the better coach, Thibs had a better record AND better defense than Popavich and every other reputable coach that year.

You compare that to Blatt, who, without LeBron, had a mediocre season. I'mnot one to get into this line of argument, but the argument can be made that it was LeBron who took the Cavs to the finals, and he could have done so with any coach. The same can't be said for the Bulls who had abysmal scoring but phenomenal defense enough to push them against Miami's premier big 3. That was the strategy of a great coach.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Not winning a championship = not winning a championship

One making it ONE series further than the other doesn't make a difference in who had the better year or who the better coach is.
  • coop9889
    Options
    "Making it one series further doesn't make a difference in who had more success"

My ? ... that is literally the ONLY thing that makes a difference.

You acting a lil slow right now.

And I'm not talking about who is better, I've already said that. That isn't the premise of the thread.
  • coop9889
    Options
    Going with your theory, Derek Fisher going 17-65 had just as much success as david blatt, who went to the finals and had a 59-23 record.

"Neither won a championship"

Think before you type
  • soul rattler
    Options
    I said...
    One making it ONE series further than the other doesn't make a difference in who had the better year or who the better coach is.

You purposely misquoted...
    "Making it one series further doesn't make a difference in who had more success"

You're purposely diverting the point of the thread. Why, I can't tell.

If you don't understand the concept of "championship or bust", then I don't know what to tell you. They were both came close to winning it all in their respective seasons, both so close that it's ridiculous to draw the line at 'one coach made it to the conference finals, the other made it to the finals' as if that makes all the difference when comparing one coach to another.

• coop9889
    Options
    What defines success as a coach then? in your words

If you have two coaches, what is your criteria for determining who had the more successful season?