'Lucy 2' And 'Columbiana 2' Are In Development

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
?url=http%3A%2F%2Fd1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net%2F6c%2Fe9%2F8a2fb9094add8099ce2b34f814df%2Flucy-colombiana.jpg

"I don't see how we can do [a sequel]. It's not made for that,” Luc Besson said last summer about the prospect of a sequel to the surprise smash hit "Lucy." “If I find something good enough, maybe I will, but for now I don't even think about it.” Well, it looks like he's thought about it and something is brewing.

At CineEurope 2015, production house EuropaCorp (which Besson heads up) announced their slate of upcoming films, which quietly mentioned that "Lucy 2" was "in development." Here's the roster:

“Shut In” with Naomi Watts (International Release Date February 19, 2016)
“Nine Lives” with Kevin Spacey (International Release Date April 29, 2016)
“The Lake” with Sullivan Stapleton (International Release date July 15, 2016)
“Warrior's Gate” with Dave Bautista (date undetermined output)
“The Transporter Legacy” with Ed Skrein (Release date September 9, 2015)
“Escobar” with Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz (Released in 2016)
“Valerian” with Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne , directed by Luc Besson (Release date July 21, 2017)
“Twice” directed by Jean-François Richet (in development)
“Lucy 2” (in development)
“Colombiana 2” (in development)
“The Kawasaki Syndrome” (In Development)
“Sea at War” (in development)
“DNA” (in development)
“Sentence” (in development)
“Underground" written by Luc Besson (in development)

While a sequel to "Lucy" isn't surprising, and we would imagine is probably contingent on Scarlett Johansson returning to reprise her role, a follow up to "Colombiana" is certainly unexpected. The 2011 film only made $60 million worldwide and hasn't been thought of much since, but perhaps Besson is thinking that between upcoming "Star Trek" and "Avatar" films, Zoe Saldana is someone whose profile is only going to get bigger, and it would be wise stay in business with the actress.

We'll see if these projects go any further down the development road which can be bumpy or neverending, but certainly, Besson has some ideas percolating.

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Colombiana was trash lucy doesn't need a sequel
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the hell would it be about isn't she one with the universe now? She says she's everywhere who would she fight lol.
  • yahwehprofet
    yahwehprofet Members Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭
    Escobar” with Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz (Released in 2016)

Entourage........
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    iron man1 wrote: »
    ? with that Columbiana though Zoe No ? Saldana lightweight self isn't bringing down damn near 200lb drug dealers.

I didn't know uma thurma, scarlett and angelina jolie were body builders....

Columbiana was a good movie...y'all trippin

• suzyscrew
    suzyscrew Members Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want either of these sequels but columbiana could be good if it copied John Wick's style of using weapons as opposed to straight up hand to hand combat. My mind won't accept zoe saldana knocking out grown ass men. Lucy looked good (camera-wise) but it was a letdown to me. That sequel won't be much worse although people will still watch it bc old girl is in it.
  • clairvoyance
    edited June 2015
    From a critical standpoint there seems to be an exaggeration towards Columbiana. Majority of the action sequences consist of her using guns and with the exception of one there weren't any other hand to hand combat scenes. Some of you are making it seem like she was knocking out dudes left and right when in fact I only recall her knocking out two guys throughout the entire movie. One was a cop who caught a roundhouse kick and another got his head slammed on a table in his apartment.

Even still action movies in general are not be looked in a realistic way,at least to a degree depending on its universe. Half of them use to be based on a one to two man army going against all odds suspending disbelief,from Rambo to Die Hard and so on. So how much a person weighs doesn't really make one more convincing than thee other when dealing with those plot scenarios,cause they all stray away from reality regardless. These kind of movies are where the impossible is made possible for entertainment purposes. But if you're bias or have a hard time using your imagination,your going to have a hard time enjoying a movie like Columbiana for what it's worth.
  • suzyscrew
    ^ how can you remember the fight scenes of that movie?

I can kind of agree with you on the suspended reality of all action movies. With Rambo, it's more feasible because not many people have been in gunfights. Therefore, most people don't know exactly how a gunfight would go. However, everybody knows that it's unlikely that a 100 pound female can kick a 200 pound man's ass. It's not even a chauvinistic thing because most people wouldn't believe a 100 pound dude could do it either. Now if Rhonda Rousey was fighting, different story.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pass. Won't even wait for dvdrip.
  • clairvoyance
    edited June 2015
    suzyscrew wrote: »

I can kind of agree with you on the suspended reality of all action movies. With Rambo, it's more feasible because not many people have been in gunfights. Therefore, most people don't know exactly how a gunfight would go. However, everybody knows that it's unlikely that a 100 pound female can kick a 200 pound man's ass. It's not even a chauvinistic thing because most people wouldn't believe a 100 pound dude could do it either. Now if Rhonda Rousey was fighting, different story.

I have the movie on dvd and watched it several times,there's only one fight scene that's towards the end of the movie. And they tried to make that scene as believable as possible,she was getting manhandled and tossed around like a rag doll. But if I was to level with you I would say she could of gain a few pounds and toned up a lil. Still the movie mainly showcased her skills through the use of guns,agility/flexibility and ability to creep up on her targets. So the whole"100 pound girl kicking ass" is being blown out of proportion when there was only one fight scene.Besides that I don't even recall her throwing a single punch throughout the entire movie.

And why aren't there any complaints about disbelief when angelina and Scarlett Johansson make these movies. There all pretty much in the same weight bracket,Zoe being the lightest but that's nitpicking.

• clairvoyance
    As far as Rambo I don't think I have to be a war veteran to know a guy running around with no bulletproof vest is not gonna take down a entire army by himself. But again it's entertainment....
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of ? in here dont know ? about fighting. A trainer fighter does not need size or strength like that to fight.

Ever seen a shaolin monk? A woman of Zoe's size can still whip your ass if she is trained to...? bruce lee wasnt even big and he is one of the greatest fighters ever.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucy is trash

2 hrs of my life wasted forever
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    iron man1 wrote: »
    What the hell would it be about isn't she one with the universe now? She says she's everywhere who would she fight lol.

The virus that corrupted the file of the Yeezus intro.

A sequel would be pointless. A huge message was sent in the first movie... a second movie would be redundant.
  • suzyscrew
    suzyscrew wrote: »

And why aren't there any complaints about disbelief when angelina and Scarlett Johansson make these movies. There all pretty much in the same weight bracket,Zoe being the lightest but that's nitpicking.

I COMPLETELY agree with you about Scarlett Johansson and Angelina. I'm not singling out Zoe Saldana. I actually liked her in Guardians of the Galaxy. I guess the difference between that movie and this is that she was an alien and not bound by our learned notions of what the human body can do. I'll leave your girl alone for now. Don't want you to prove your assertions about a woman kicking a man's ass on me.
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Columbiana wasn't perfect, but it wasn't as bad as you guys made it out to be. She pretty much won her battles more by planning ahead and using guns more than brawn. Compared to Salt, which had Jolie frigging jumping down an elevator shaft like it was nothing, Columbiana's easily more realistic.
  • clairvoyance
    Delphas wrote: »
    Columbiana wasn't perfect, but it wasn't as bad as you guys made it out to be. She pretty much won her battles more by planning ahead and using guns more than brawn. Compared to Salt, which had Jolie frigging jumping down an elevator shaft like it was nothing, Columbiana's easily more realistic.

The bolded is the point I was trying to get across to @suzycrew and the rest but he completely ignored the majority of my main argument,which was simply stating just that^^. The scarlett/angelina jolie(scarlett cancels out since she played a alien/havn't seen Lucy) analogy was just me detecting a unfair critique against Zoe not about trying to justify wether Zoe can beat a man twice her size...

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOW THE ? ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE LUCY DIDNT SHE TURN INTO DIGITAL JESUS?
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colombiana was dope. Lucy, not so much. I mean, who's ? with somebody that can do anything with their mind and manipulate time and space? They'll have to create another Lucy for her to fight.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    columbiana wasn't bad i think we are just fed up with Zoe and her coontastic ways. i may have to watch it again but it seemed like she used more cunning than straight up brawling.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucy could end up being the antagonist.