STOP Preordering Games

Options
2»

Comments

• kingofkingz
    kingofkingz Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't preoder any games in 2years, i wait for it to come out to make sure it's not broken..... after that ? with ac unity I've never had problems with a game after it's come out
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only preorder if I'm getting cash back. Best Buy gives you $10 back when you pre order some games and Amazon used to give $20 a couple of years ago. Don't know why they stopped doing that.

I don't buy any dlc unless it's a real expansion like the ballads of ? Tony (GTA4) or reaper of souls (Diablo 3). I don't support all that nickel and dime fuckery by buying dlc that can be complete in 10 - 15 minutes or even an hour. The only exception is when it was really made after the game was released and has a lot of content like the Mario Kart 8 dlc.

What I'm saying is I won't pre order a game just for some wack cosmetic dlc.
  • kingofkingz
    kingofkingz Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The day's of gettin a complete game that aren't full of bugs & glitches are long gone :(:((
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just preorder sure shots.
    Analitically i spend less money on gas and parking lots and TIME by purchasing the game with one click.

• LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imo all the consumers need is an authorithy that checks the game before the launch. I dont mind a little patchwork and monthly free updates. I dont mind paying 10 dollars on GOOD DLCs.

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good Video About Preorders And Broken Games

@ 55 Seconds for the issues with preorders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBcYdtRBGLw
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Imo all the consumers need is an authorithy that checks the game before the launch. I dont mind a little patchwork and monthly free updates. I dont mind paying 10 dollars on GOOD DLCs.

The thing is that most companies send people that will test the games a different version. What they sell to consumers is completely different lately, either having cut content or more bugs than a 68 year old ? that wanders by the bus stop down the street. Gaming companies are barely even doing updates to fix the games anymore it seems, some like creative assembly and Bethesda rely on modders mostly now to fix and polish their games. And of course there us Ubisoft with the assassins creed franchise. If there was a gaming quality authority or something like that that dictates how many dlcs, how broken a game can be, and other things I'm too annoyed to remember now then that I could support
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never pre-ordered a game post

And I've never had a problem getting any game I want.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    shame we reached a point in gaming where bugs are acceptable/defended - especially around launch

IMO game studios today are glorified marketing agencies
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    reapin505 wrote: »

The thing is that most companies send people that will test the games a different version. What they sell to consumers is completely different lately, either having cut content or more bugs than a 68 year old ? that wanders by the bus stop down the street. Gaming companies are barely even doing updates to fix the games anymore it seems, some like creative assembly and Bethesda rely on modders mostly now to fix and polish their games. And of course there us Ubisoft with the assassins creed franchise. If there was a gaming quality authority or something like that that dictates how many dlcs, how broken a game can be, and other things I'm too annoyed to remember now then that I could support

fam, my sister used to be a tester for EA at the location they got here in Baton Rouge and she told me that testing a game for bugs is boring af. She was getting paid like $10/hr so while that aint no lil money per se, EA and companies alike aint spending no serious bread with trying to iron out major issues prior to release.

They make notes of what needs fixing, start compiling the patches, release the game and bam, you got a day 1 patch followed by a series of patches that continue to fix issues that they knew about before the game shipped. THEN, on top of that, now the game has reached the masses, and they have found a slew of bugs, so now they have to address those as well

I used to get hype when they would announce stuff like "sign up for the Gears of War 3 MP beta". I actually thought i was testing the game, and truth be told, the final release wasnt that noticeably different from the "beta". They would also say they were testing server capacity, yet, on release day, you cant find a lobby that works. hmmmm
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pre ordering makes no sense unless you want a statue figurine or some other collectible, you can usually grab a copy with pre order DLC for a while after release anyways...

+ the DLC is usually a joke, an extra 5-10 min mission or some costumes & weapons that would have been unlocked for beating the game back in the day...

I miss the mid tiers games the most; we either get SNES/Genesis looking games or AAA titles nowadays on consoles, nothing in between, no chances being taken...
  • AP21
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Pre ordering makes no sense unless you want a statue figurine or some other collectible, you can usually grab a copy with pre order DLC for a while after release anyways...

+ the DLC is usually a joke, an extra 5-10 min mission or some costumes & weapons that would have been unlocked for beating the game back in the day...

I miss the mid tiers games the most; we either get SNES/Genesis looking games or AAA titles nowadays on consoles, nothing in between, no chances being taken...

agreed, however, i still contend that if you are just dead set on getting some sort of collectible items, look on sites like etsy or pinterest. There are some really talented people who will make things for you and it truly be a custom job and not something off the assembly line.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Business stand point I understand cuz let's be real some of these games has a budget of some movies so . I see why they do ? DLC and season passes. I don't buy season passes tho ? that unless it's a game I'm really feeling like witcher and batman. But yeah even tho I understand it I don't really rock with preorders. Games super buggy has no ? excuse tho
  • I_fap_twohanded
    I_fap_twohanded Members Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options
    gotta get them pre order bonuses brah
  • I_fap_twohanded
    I_fap_twohanded Members Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I bought that payday 2 ? for the xbox one last week ? is still broken
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Batman probably the only game where everyplace you buy it at had a different preorder bonus lol
  • AP21
    Options
    Batman probably the only game where everyplace you buy it at had a different preorder bonus lol

nah, it was like that for the last batman and i think the Assassins Creed games as well

there are a few others that did this but im drawing a blank atm
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never preordered a game. ? I look like spending extra money just to say I have some ? ? They ain't going to stop carrying games if they sell out at launch, ? . ? are just impatient and don't want to possible wait a few days for ? to get restocked.
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I preorder my games cuz I only buy 2 maybe 3 games a year so the games I buy I've been waiting on for a minute...so hell yea I wanna play it day 1...plus the preorder ? is free and you don't have to pay 2 to 5 dollars on it when it hits the market
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »

nah, it was like that for the last batman and i think the Assassins Creed games as well

there are a few others that did this but im drawing a blank atm

Its the norm to have different bonuses at different stores.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is preordering a game extra money? I give gamestop 5 bucks before a game comes out then i give them like 58 more. ? cost the same i just happen 2 get a ? dlc or something to go along with it since i preordered it.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every game I buy I want so I want to buy new so the developer get's my money.I don't know where buying used games came from as I did not read the article and do not intend to.I order mostly off Amazon and they don't even charge you until the game ships.It's not really a pre-order,but I want to make sure the game comes the same day and it saves time for me to go to the store the day the game releases.It's more convenient since it ships to me.Most of the games that have bugs (Witcher) are third party , as I have not had any issues with bugs in PS4 exclusives.Batman PS4 does not have any either from my experience.
  • AP21
    Options
    man. wtf you talking bout breh??
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Article is making infinite assumptions.

I mean its not a coincidence that broken games came after consoles that let you patch games came.