How Long Do You Think Slavery Would've Lasted Had the Civil War Gone the Other Way

Options
13»

Comments

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    any of yall seen C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America? Good mockumentary about this scenario.

Saw it at school......

I did not like it........

& think that what if scenarios should be left to up to marvel comics...........

https://youtu.be/gIqxBn1oLAY
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not long. If the Confederacy had won, the UK would've been like

"oh, these ? are ? up this much? Time to take back the colonies."

The u.k would not have done a ? thing
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

Let's see.

The strongest world power in the world at the time...

Embarrassingly lost a new country's worth of land to a bunch of turncoats...

Already outlawed slavery...

Meanwhile, the US collapses in on itself? There wouldn't have been a better time to take back the colonies. Who would have stopped them?
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Let's see.

The strongest world power in the world at the time...

Embarrassingly lost a new country's worth of land to a bunch of turncoats...

Already outlawed slavery...

Meanwhile, the US collapses in on itself? There wouldn't have been a better time to take back the colonies. Who would have stopped them?

they might have tried but they would have failed because i think that even the union would not have wanted the u.k to put their fingers anywhere else on the north american continent. By the way the civil war sparked great military technological innovation the union and the south had some of the first semi-industrialized armies in the world and some of the best weapons.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    You know what you may be right but it depends on when the this false timeline departs from the real one because the more ? the war the more unity would have been created among the confederate states because i mean who would want to go back to join the enemy you fought ? battles against.
    this is a fair point, but i would also think there's a point where any state that broke away from the CSA would see more wisdom in reunifying with the US than trying to go it alone as a weird little state.
    it probably also depends on the state; if Texas was fed up with the CSA for some reason, it would be more awkward for them to seek reunion with the US than, say, Virginia.
    probably Americans, since they've never been able to really win a war against us
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    You know what you may be right but it depends on when the this false timeline departs from the real one because the more ? the war the more unity would have been created among the confederate states because i mean who would want to go back to join the enemy you fought ? battles against.
    this is a fair point, but i would also think there's a point where any state that broke away from the CSA would see more wisdom in reunifying with the US than trying to go it alone as a weird little state.
    it probably also depends on the state; if Texas was fed up with the CSA for some reason, it would be more awkward for them to seek reunion with the US than, say, Virginia.
    probably Americans, since they've never been able to really win a war against us
    They fought a united nation, not a divided nation who just finished fighting itself.
  • janklow
    Options
    They fought a united nation, not a divided nation who just finished fighting itself.
    sounds like we're just making excuses for a world-spanning empire failing
    they burned down our capital and couldn't even seem to win that war
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIqxBn1oLAY

Judging from the fact that slaves at that time were infiltrating every section of society and educating one another and finally speaking the same language I'd have to guess:
    1-there would have been a long war and probably a section or land of free black slaves.
    2-There would also be certain territories in the US that were known for not practicing slavery anymore.
    3-The lack of integration into white society would have spawned a lot more technical and independent black operated businesses and communities.
    4-Mass killings of blacks by whites would have continued.
    5-Religion would have been stronger in the black community
    6-Drugs would never have been existent in the black community
    7-more black areas in the probably the Northwest and Canada would have been populated as the Underground railroad would have taken us to areas where there were no whites in sight.
    8-ALOT more light-skinned blacks would exist as mulattoes and integrate into White society as much as possible and possibly look back toward helping their mothers and passing laws to help blacks.
    9-The world eventually would start accusing America of racist and slavery practices and start to not do business with them because of this practice.
    10-White class warfare would erupt in a CIVIL war inevitably because the slaves would be accused of taking all the white man's jobs who couldn't afford slaves. Other countries would be mad and feel America was cheating in the economic system by using slaves and would try to either enslave their own or enslave whites or not work with America or band together and say since we can't do it you can't either.
    11-World War, also inevitable, would have existed regardless of the race situation and America would have been weaker because then the South would not have been united and Russia, Japan, China, Korea Cuba and other Communist countries would have backed the Southern states in a rebellion that would result in the north being almost destroyed or having to retaliate with using the help of Britain, England and some other countries to fight against the southern states. The end result of this would be America NEVER being a superpower and never uniting all the states in its own land and having endless international wars on its own land. Inflitrated by Russia, Mexico, Cuba, Japan, Korea, China, Italy, and throw in some Middle Eastern countries. Along with this it would also have resulted in more blacks turning against America inside of America and poor whites and possibly overthrowing the system of slavery anyway or at least strike a major blow. From this you would have parts of America owned by the French, part owned by China, part by Blacks, part by a mixture of many cultures, part Indian, part Muslim and there would be no ONE government or monetary system. There would be PLENTY of militaries inside of America and emperors.

12-Diseases that exist from slave quarters would be passed onto whites and taken entire cities out like the plague.

Thats about all I can think of.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options

Didn't they technically win against us in the war of 1812? They were beating back, but our goal was to take over Canada, so we lost that one. I guess those were Canadians, but they were under direct British rule.
  • janklow
    Options
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    Didn't they technically win against us in the war of 1812? They were beating back, but our goal was to take over Canada, so we lost that one. I guess those were Canadians, but they were under direct British rule.
    our goal wasn't really to take over Canada; it was more a series of smaller issues that can basically be summed up as "show us some damn respect, Britain!" and it was basically a draw that returned everything to a pre-war state.

i wouldn't claim the US won the war. but the British didn't either.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    our goal wasn't really to take over Canada; it was more a series of smaller issues that can basically be summed up as "show us some damn respect, Britain!" and it was basically a draw that returned everything to a pre-war state.

i wouldn't claim the US won the war. but the British didn't either.

Well, i guess the US lost that facet of the war, because Canada sure celebrates it as a victory.
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Slavery still exists in the U.S. Just ask a married black man in ? .
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Who knows there was black folks enslaved in Mississippi until the 1970s. I mean think about our parents generation.

But the Geechee were fighting and getting other enslaved to fight back so who knows.

Huh

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20061664,00.html @stiff I totally forgotten about this.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who knows there was black folks enslaved in Mississippi until the 1970s. I mean think about our parents generation.

But the Geechee were fighting and getting other enslaved to fight back so who knows.

Huh

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20061664,00.html @stiff I totally forgotten about this.

wow that's crazy
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options

Huh

Damn. I knew about share cropping, but this is the first time i heard about ? like this. And technically, the way they did it then is still practiced today. We always said slavery never died because they have our men in prisons working for pennies. But at one point, prisons loaned prisoners for work and paid nothing.
    Slavery v. Peonage

Peonage, also called debt slavery or debt servitude, is a system where an employer compels a worker to pay off a debt with work. Legally, peonage was outlawed by Congress in 1867. However, after Reconstruction, many Southern black men were swept into peonage though different methods, and the system was not completely eradicated until the 1940s.

In some cases, employers advanced workers some pay or initial transportation costs, and workers willingly agreed to work without pay in order to pay it off. Sometimes those debts were quickly paid off, and a fair wage worker/employer relationship established.

In many more cases, however, workers became indebted to planters (through sharecropping loans), merchants (through credit), or company stores (through living expenses). Workers were often unable to re-pay the debt, and found themselves in a continuous work-without-pay cycle.

But the most corrupt and abusive peonage occurred in concert with southern state and county government. In the south, many black men were picked up for minor crimes or on trumped-up charges, and, when faced with staggering fines and court fees, forced to work for a local employer would who pay their fines for them. Southern states also leased their convicts en mass to local industrialists. The paperwork and debt record of individual prisoners was often lost, and these men found themselves trapped in inescapable situations.

http://www.pbs.org/tpt/slavery-by-another-name/themes/peonage/
  • janklow
    Options
    Well, i guess the US lost that facet of the war, because Canada sure celebrates it as a victory.
    more proof of Canada's lameness than anything, though
    yes, the US did fail to invade Canada but it's accurate to say the war wasn't about seizing Canada