Fair or Foul: James Harrison Takes away his Kids Participation trophies

themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison doesn't expect a trophy just for showing up. The same goes for his sons.
lRelated
Philip Rivers, Chargers agree on extension

Football
Philip Rivers, Chargers agree on extension

See all related

The 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year took to Instagram on Saturday to say he was returning two awards his sons received from a local athletics event run by former Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch.

Harrison wrote while he's very proud of his two boys "these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy."

The 37-year-old says he doesn't want his sons to feel entitled, adding "cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better."

jhharrison92I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies! While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy. I'm sorry I'm not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I'm not about to raise two boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best...cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better...not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy. #harrisonfamilyvalues

Comments

• Beefer77
    Beefer77 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with him life is a competition. Wether it's the girl you want, the college you trying to be accepted in, prom king, etc
  • MD_PROPER
    MD_PROPER Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with this, but he inadvertently ? all on Charlie Batch's camp and the other participants.
  • Beefer77
    Beefer77 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Charlie batch deserves the lifetime backup participation trophy with a statue of him holding a clipboard duct taped together
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Harrison.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair. Those are his kids, he should raise them the way he see fit.

He's not abusing them or neglecting them.

I never gave a ? about the participation trophies. I valued my MVP trophy a helluva lot more.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair 100% agree. I work and mentor kids at my church. Kids be getting tons of trophies or tell me about the extra awards they get for nothing. And honestly its not a good look.

But the bigger issue in kids sports is not how many trophies they win but how parents react to their kids play. Parents are either too protective and ones that get mad when their kid doesn't get a participation trophy. Or they are the parent that runs their kid into the ground against their will playing a sport they don't like.

Parents are also investing in kids like stocks hoping they will be unrealistic odds to get a scholarship.

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you got to teach your kids in a way that when they get participation trophies they throw em away themselves
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad was the same with me and my brothers, he always told us you have to earn it.
    I will do the same with my three boys when they get older.