Mike Huckabee: MLK Would Be 'Appalled' By Black Lives Matter Movement...

Options
2»

Comments

• Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Any person who publicly opposes BLM is complicit in the murders of unarmed black ppl.

They see nothing wrong with the way things are

How is someone who believes that ALL lives matter complicit in the murders of unarmed black people? If they didn't care about black people then they wouldn't claim that ALL lives matter. My argument is simple - black lives are encompassed under 'all lives matter'. Non-black lives are not encompassed under 'black lives matter'.
    LOL white people think they understand MLK more than us now and have to explain his message to us.
    Mike Huckabee is a ?

No disrespect but some people are carrying on as though MLK was a militant nationalist. He advocated for racial integration. He flat out considered white people to be his brothers and sisters. Granted he actually did become more 'radical' toward the end of his life, apparently, but his ideology was still completely non-racial and non-violent. How do you understand him better than white people who were his actual close friends, his white girlfriend in college or even white historians who have researched him thoroughly and written biographies on him? Why do you think you understand him just because you look like him and come from the same group? White people have the same access to his speeches, interviews, writing etc. that you do. Anyone who knows anything about MLK knows that he stood for racial equality and 'all lives matter' is consistent with the idea of racial equality.

What is the objective of the BLM movement. Are they just venting or do they want to change people's attitudes and hearts? If they actually want to persuade people who don't care about black lives to care they're less likely to do so by shutting down criticism (ie. the idea that white opinions don't count, that whites should care about black lives but blacks don't have to consider white opinions on race issues - to be fair I don't know if anyone from the movement has the same attitude as some of the posters in this thread ) or showing the same in-group bias that racist cops do.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL white people think they understand MLK more than us now and have to explain his message to us.
    Mike Huckabee is a ? masterful politician and vanguard of white supremacy

fixed and cosign
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wasnt MLKs whole purpose the get america to, for lack of a better word.."agree" that black lives matter.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "You are with huckabee, yes.....?"
  • Ubuntu1
    Options
    tumblr_nsjuivpLwt1trw3n8o1_1280.png

This implies that black people are the only ones who are ever unjustly killed by the police or in general and non-black victims don't need the representation because they don't or couldn't exist. 'All houses matter' could never justify prioritizing putting water on a house that doesn't need it over the one that does, it would justify putting out the fire of the one that's actually on fire because that house is covered under 'all houses matter'.
  • Beech Oss Neega
    Beech Oss Neega Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    tumblr_nsjuivpLwt1trw3n8o1_1280.png

This implies that black people are the only ones who are ever unjustly killed by the police or in general and non-black victims don't need the representation because they don't or couldn't exist. 'All houses matter' could never justify prioritizing putting water on a house that doesn't need it over the one that does, it would justify putting out the fire of the one that's actually on fire because that house is covered under 'all houses matter'.

Smh. You completely missed the point.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black lives matter might get muddled. Looks like Shaun King might have lied about some things.
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mike Huckabee is typical southern cac from racist ass Arkansas. Its funny cuz white folks didnt ? with MLK until he died.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whites do understand black lives matter what these talking heads like mike Suckabee is doing I'd called misrepresentation and misinformation, to the uneducated ignorant whites of America

The same way they understand why black colleges, scholarships and AA exist but will flip it to other whites as reverse racism

And lastly MLK took a bullet by a disgusting racist white....and this fat ? don't think he would agree with BLM?

And MLK fat niece ? likes to be on faux supporting these ?
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Hucklebee.....I've been saying that for years now. ? that ? /cracka/? boy

? ass punk ass white boy. He one the main reasons ? in Arkansas don't have ? now.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    I don't think he would be 'appalled' but I definitely think that he would agree with him. He said in an interview once that he wasn't just fighting for black people, he cared about everyone. Something like that.

how the hell can a simple 3 words of "black lives matter" get interpreted as us saying "Black lives matter more than yours"? no way in hell can these people be this ? stupid

'BLM' doesn't address the interests of non-black people. The fact that you need to specify black lives implies that you have special consideration for black people that you don't have for everybody else. 'BLM' is an effective criticism to the attitude some people have that black lives do not matter but it doesn't work better than 'ALM' so what's your incentive in focusing on black people to the possible exclusion of everyone else? If ALM doesn't work to persuade people that all lives matter than what's BLM going to do?
    We say black lives matter becuz police and white bigots act like they dont when taking them in a matter of seconds over non life threatening situations.

Fuckabee and his ilk will give the BLM movement more criticism than the pigs shooting unarmed citizens. They're part of the problem, not the solution

Saying that they don't care about black lives is the exact same thing as saying that they don't care about all lives.

Some white people are also unjustly killed by the police (not to mention some police officers really do put their lives on the line to help other people). You know that some white and non-black people are killed by the police and you brush this off because you don't care as much. You can rationalize it on the grounds that they are in the minority but why not use a slogan that covers all of the victims and not just the majority? If Huckabee doesn't take the time to criticize police brutality and the unnecessary use of force then he's wrong for that but it doesn't detract from his point (I haven't watched the video, I don't know if I'd agree with his entire argument).
    How tf you proclaim to know what MLK would've thought about anything?

If MLK was for non-violence we can assume he was against ? . If he advocated for racial equality we can assume that he cared about all human lives equally.

@Ajackson17 I didn't know that King's parents were Garveyites. Are you sure about that?

1. If specifying that black lives matter implies "special consideration for black people that you don't have for everybody else," then the sense in which that is true is not one that is objectionable. "Special consideration" for a group might be appropriate and called for if that group suffers from a special lack of consideration -- if, for example, that group's interests are not given their due weight.

2. Saying "Black lives matter" would only exclude others if it meant either that black lives matter more, or only black lives matter. But the slogan clearly doesn't mean either of these things.

3. If 2 is right, then there is no downside to saying 'Black lives matter' as opposed to saying 'All lives matter' -- at least, none that you've mentioned in this post.

But that still means that 'Black lives matter' might be no better than 'All lives matter' -- just cause it is no worse than ALM doesn't mean that it is better than ALM. So is it only just as good as ALM? No.

4. 'Black lives matter' places appropriate emphasis on the one group for whom the lives of its members seem not to matter -- or not to matter as the lives of other groups. This emphasis is appropriate for reasons along the lines mention in 1. above. We need to assert, clearly, that black lives matter, for it is black lives that distinctly seem not to matter to some people. This means that ALM fails to place appropriate emphasis. If this is true, then this is one reason to think that 'Black lives matter' is superior to 'All lives matter' as a slogan.

5. But there is another reason to think that. Your claim seems to be that since 'All lives matter' logically includes black lives, anyone who asserts that ALM is committed to saying that black lives matter. If this point holds, then this is one reason to think that ALM is just as good as BLM.

But it doesn't hold. Not only does ALM fail to place appropriate emphasis where that emphasis is due, we should question the wisdom of placing such confidence in the force of logical implication. I mean, after all, given people's other beliefs, they might be committed to believing in one thing without actually believing that thing -- for whatever psychological hangups they might have. And when the subject is race, we have plenty of reasons to be skeptical. I mean, we are talking about people who for centuries proclaimed belief in the idea that "All men are created equal," while very clearly acting in ways which suggested that some men were not created equal.

6. White people who are killed by police are not, at least for the most part, killed because they are white, not even in part. So the existence of such people provide no reason to think that ALM is superior to 'Black lives matter' -- that is, their deaths do not suggest that white people's lives, qua white people, do not matter.

Listen bruh, you sound profoundly confused when the topic is race. You think of good questions to contemplate, but your reflections are obviously quite superficial. You really need to think much, much harder.
  • Ubuntu1
    Options
    1. If specifying that black lives matter implies "special consideration for black people that you don't have for everybody else," then the sense in which that is true is not one that is objectionable. "Special consideration" for a group might be appropriate and called for if that group suffers from a special lack of consideration -- if, for example, that group's interests are not given their due weight.

Special consideration is never justified. Sometimes equal consideration involves special treatment but the justification for this is that some individuals benefit from or are harmed by certain treatment more or less than other individuals, not because their interests matter more. For example, progressive taxation is justified not because the interests of lower class people should be given more consideration but because they have a stronger interest in paying fewer taxes. Richer people benefit less from lower taxes than poorer people do.
    2. Saying "Black lives matter" would only exclude others if it meant either that black lives matter more, or only black lives matter. But the slogan clearly doesn't mean either of these things.

The slogan allows for the possibility that non-black lives don't matter at all or as much, even if no one involved in the BLM movement would outright claim this. If someone claims that black lives matter and then goes out and kills black people they are contradicting themselves. If someone claims that all lives matter and then goes out and kills black people they are contradicting themselves. If someone claims that black lives matter and then goes out and kills white, Asian or Native American people they are not contradicting themselves (at least not beyond claiming that black lives matter more being morally inconsistent to begin with).
    3. If 2 is right, then there is no downside to saying 'Black lives matter' as opposed to saying 'All lives matter' -- at least, none that you've mentioned in this post.

But that still means that 'Black lives matter' might be no better than 'All lives matter' -- just cause it is no worse than ALM doesn't mean that it is better than ALM. So is it only just as good as ALM? No.

Black lives matters means that black lives matter. It might be that black lives matter because all lives matter. It might be that black lives matter because black lives matter. Khalid Muhammed and other ? black supremacists could claim that black lives matter and so could MLK and other egalitarian minded people. BLM does not include non-black people - that's indisputable, even if it doesn't actively exclude them. All lives matter does include black people - again, indisputable.

ALM has an advantage that BLM does not = it unambiguously includes everyone. I don't understand your reasoning here or what you're trying to say ; 'BLM might be no better, just 'cause it's no worse doesn't mean't that it's no better so in the end it's not only just as good as ALM'. The downside to BLM is that it doesn't include everyone. Everyone is not black yet non-black people are sometimes unjustly killed by the police and other civilians, black people are sometimes the ones unjustly killing some non-black people. The slogan doesn't apply to them and their interests matter just as much.

-continues

• Ubuntu1
    Options
    -continued
    4. 'Black lives matter' places appropriate emphasis on the one group for whom the lives of its members seem not to matter -- or not to matter as the lives of other groups. This emphasis is appropriate for reasons along the lines mention in 1. above. We need to assert, clearly, that black lives matter, for it is black lives that distinctly seem not to matter to some people. This means that ALM fails to place appropriate emphasis. If this is true, then this is one reason to think that 'Black lives matter' is superior to 'All lives matter' as a slogan.

White people who unjustly ? white people don't care about their victim's lives and neither do black people who unjustly ? black people or Asians who murder Asian people, there is no societal consensus that black lives don't matter and I'm not entirely convinced that it's the general trend (if I'm wrong that shouldn't detract from my basic argument).

The emphasis is not necessary because it's covered under ALM. If ALM doesn't persuade white racists that black lives matter, I promise you, BLM will not.

There would only need to be an emphasis on black lives if black lives were particularly important and they're not. This would be true even if there is a general attitude that black lives matter less, even if black people were systematically discriminated against the way they were under slavery. 'All' means ALL, there's no ? around with that. At the risk of resorting to an ad hominem I suspect that you want there to be an emphasis because you view black people, as a 'group', as the 'underdog'. First, some non-black individuals can reasonably be considered underdogs, regardless of whether or not they represent the majority of their groups, and all black individuals aren't particularly vulnerable or pitiable. Second, even if every black person is an underdog in at least some respects, underdogs don't deserve more compassion. They may need more help, which can justify treating them specially, but not because they actually deserve more consideration. Some whites are killed when police exercise unnecessary force so underdog status should come on an individual basis.
    5. But there is another reason to think that. Your claim seems to be that since 'All lives matter' logically includes black lives, anyone who asserts that ALM is committed to saying that black lives matter. If this point holds, then this is one reason to think that ALM is just as good as BLM

But it doesn't hold. Not only does ALM fail to place appropriate emphasis where that emphasis is due, we should question the wisdom of placing such confidence in the force of logical implication. I mean, after all, given people's other beliefs, they might be committed to believing in one thing without actually believing that thing -- for whatever psychological hangups they might have. And when the subject is race, we have plenty of reasons to be skeptical. I mean, we are talking about people who for centuries proclaimed belief in the idea that "All men are created equal," while very clearly acting in ways which suggested that some men were not created equal.

ALM isn't just as good as BLM, it's better for the reasons that I've mentioned. The emphasis would only be due if black lives were particularly important. Anyone who claims ALM and doesn't care about black people doesn't understand the concept of 'all'.

People are going to be hypocritical regardless of what principles they claim to hold or ideology they ascribe to. People who claim ALM aren't going to consistently practice that but people who claim BLM won't necessarily be consistent with this either.
    6. White people who are killed by police are not, at least for the most part, killed because they are white, not even in part. So the existence of such people provide no reason to think that ALM is superior to 'Black lives matter' -- that is, their deaths do not suggest that white people's lives, qua white people, do not matter.

The racial aspect of a lot of police brutality cases is exaggerated, in my opinion. Again, even if you think I'm wrong that still doesn't detract from my argument because not even outright slaves deserved more or less compassion than their masters, let alone innocent white people who were also underdogs in other ways.

You say 'for the most part' like individuals and their problems don't matter if they don't belong to large, widely recognized groups among whom those problems are the norm. Killing someone because they're black is no worse than killing them because they have a large nose or because they're nerdy or there's something about them that doesn't tie them to a distinct , recognized group of people. Murder is murder. The reason why you give other people less consideration than you feel you deserve is irrelevant, you're wrong for not giving everyone equal consideration.
    Listen bruh, you sound profoundly confused when the topic is race. You think of good questions to contemplate, but your reflections are obviously quite superficial. You really need to think much, much harder.

If my reasoning is flawed then it should be criticized but I haven't come across one argument so far that would lead me to believe favoring ALM over BLM contradicts the idea of genuine racial egalitarianism or that a rational minded person wouldn't necessarily be an egalitarian.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If King was gonna be appalled by BLM, he'd be appalled at how disorganized and ineffective it was.

I'll make my own thread about this eventually, but choosing the name "Black Lives Matter" was ALWAYS bad strategy imho. I honestly cringed the first time I saw it. The slogan should have had "police" or "cops" in the title, not Black.

#1 - That would have put cops on the defensive and forced them to respond, instead of putting US on the defensive and forcing us to respond to obvious "what about all these murders in Chiraq"/"don't all lives matter?" rebuttals.

#2 - it would have politely reminded everyone that these ? Militarized Cops really are bullying everyone in America now. NOT "just a black problem" anymore. This would've opened up avenues for serious political alliances with non-blacks who are tired of the cops ? . You know that white people are gonna be more upset about cops shooting a dog for no reason, so USE THAT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.

#3 - America never gave a ? about black lives, we know this, picture tryna protest KFC with "Chickens Lives Matter" smh
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike huckabee is a communist