Rakim vs. Biggie - Who has a better case for G.O.A.T.?

Options
1235»

Comments

• maximus preme
    maximus preme Members Posts: 1,995 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ^^lol... ya k there kid... go head and get back 2 ur final fantasy game n let the grown ups discuss this ? u ? dweeb

Hmm, resorting to name calling for my hobbies, lol. Typical chick response. B.I.G. is better than Rakim, hmmmm.
  • AntnysWorld
    AntnysWorld Members Posts: 139
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm going with BIG. People talk about BIG only having 2 albums.. so what? Rakim has 7 albums and the only one people really talk about for real is Paid In Full. Rakim will always be appreciated because of what he brought to Hip Hop, but he himself didn't really build upon it himself. He pretty much stayed the same.. he didn't get better or worse the only the thing that changed was his production. In my opinion BIG showed more progression and versatility within those 3 years. Someone said spoke about Rakim's subject matter... I don't see how his subject matter is superior to BIG's. People say " BIG just raps about fly ? .. " A majority of the time Ra raps about rapping. I think a lot of people in here selling BIG short lyrically. Warning, Gimme The Loot, Suicidal Thoughts, I Got A Story To Tell, etc. Rakim is extremely important to Hip Hop, but I feel as though BIG got him by a hair.
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    rakim is my answer for GOAT, but id rather listen to Ready to die then anything ra ever put out.
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I gotta go with Biggie, he has way more ? references and Rakim dosent have a single one in his whole discography.

Nobody wants to hear that "Black man is ? " bullcrap, I like to hear a ni99er say "Black and Ugly as ever".

Yeah so what if Rakim innovated the way rappers construct bars, Biggie helped HipHop become commercial and Pop.

I get sick and tired of all these rappers saying Rakim is the best, us non-rappers should be the judges because we are on the outside looking in.

? hiphop.
  • rico_ENS
    rico_ENS Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    @pun

my intent was to shut this ? thread down, like i said y every time i come to the reason yall comparing big to someone new y not compare rappers with similar styles like nas and ra, pac and chuck d or cube, big and kane or g rap. yall ? funny style foreal yall kno in ya hearts that biggie made better MUSIC then ra yall just wanna keep sayin he invented how ? rap blah blah blah....thats like sayin dr j was the first ? to start dunkin like that so he the best when we all kno jordan,dominique, vince are all better leapers n dunkers
  • Mumo X
    Mumo X Banned Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hrap-120 wrote: »
    I gotta go with Biggie, he has way more ? references and Rakim dosent have a single one in his whole discography.

Nobody wants to hear that "Black man is ? " bullcrap, I like to hear a ni99er say "Black and Ugly as ever".

Yeah so what if Rakim innovated the way rappers construct bars, Biggie helped HipHop become commercial and Pop.

I get sick and tired of all these rappers saying Rakim is the best, us non-rappers should be the judges because we are on the outside looking in.

? hiphop.

Did someone jus hack into H-Rap's account? This aint H-Rap speaking Lol! Nice one Rap
  • beats&rhymes
    beats&rhymes Members Posts: 195
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    What the ? ...?

The only reason I mention Kane is because nobody ever talks about him, people too busy talkin the same ? about Rakim. I love Rakim, he's dope for sure but for me Big Daddy Kane has the edge and in my opinion is a better mc, more skilled, he can do it all. Rakim probably dodged Big Daddy Kane back in the day. Biggie?? No comparison to Rakim or Big Daddy kane.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The only reason I mention Kane is because nobody ever talks about him, people too busy talkin the same ? about Rakim. I love Rakim, he's dope for sure but for me Big Daddy Kane has the edge and in my opinion is a better mc, more skilled, he can do it all. Rakim probably dodged Big Daddy Kane back in the day. Biggie?? No comparison to Rakim or Big Daddy kane.

Melle Mel, Spoonie G and Kool Moe D are rarely mentioned as well. I would take Ra over big any day myself. However, many Hip Hoppers forget it was actually Kool Moe D's epic battle with Busy B that, changed MCing and laid the foundation for Rakim.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Melle Mel, Spoonie G and Kool Moe D are rarely mentioned as well. I would take Ra over big any day myself. However, many Hip Hoppers forget it was actually Kool Moe D's epic battle with Busy B that, changed MCing and laid the foundation for Rakim.

quoted for truth...
  • htimes3
    htimes3 Members Posts: 10
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Wow - Great Question.

I would have to take BIG on this one. The Alpha and Omega of Hip-Hop did elevate the way 16 bars are put on paper but Biggie is in this conversation on 2 studio albums. Very few artist play on the same court as Frank Wright!
  • thesoulcontroller
    thesoulcontroller Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Rakim, Krs, G Rap, and Kane gave birth to B.I.G. They were all more intelligent and original mc's than B.I.G. was.

That being said, Rakim wins easily because of his depth and the fact that when he dropped, he had already elevated from the stick up kid that B.I.G. entered the game as. B.I.G never reached maturity so you cant honestly give him credit for future potential(i mean, look at how wack JayZ has gotten). He still had room to grow and was sadly robbed of that chance.

B.I.G. also loses stripes for cosigning JR Mafia and all that "playa" ? which wasnt representative of Brooklyn at the time. That was all Harlem. Kane was a ? type character, but he's naturally a smooth person. B.I.G didnt get quality women till he got signed. As we know, that was a Puffy creation. Rakim, Kane, G Rap, and Krs were the genuine articles.