Dr. Umar Johnson at The Breakfast Club

Options
123457»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good interview.

I think pan-Africanists get a bad rap because they aren't really good at expressing their ideals in a calm manner. Umar did it well in this interview, but he's been guilty of doing it wrong in the past too.

For example, Umar sad he's against multiculturalism. Most pan-Africanists are. The problem is when they explain what they mean by that, they usually end up sounding like separatists. Umar did a better job of explaining it and making it clear that being against multiculturalism doesn't mean not working with other groups. It simply means keeping group defined and pure so as not to prevent you from accomplishing your goals.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good interview.

I think pan-Africanists get a bad rap because they aren't really good at expressing their ideals in a calm manner. Umar did it well in this interview, but he's been guilty of doing it wrong in the past too.

For example, Umar sad he's against multiculturalism. Most pan-Africanists are. The problem is when they explain what they mean by that, they usually end up sounding like separatists. Umar did a better job of explaining it and making it clear that being against multiculturalism doesn't mean not working with other groups. It simply means keeping group defined and pure so as not to prevent you from accomplishing your goals.

Or sometimes when they do no one is trying to listen or they try to put words in their mouth. Bottom line multiculturalism is a virus to us because we be at the head but have almost nothing to gain from it.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good interview.

perfect analysis. props to you for this post
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Good interview.

perfect analysis. props to you for this post

It's a good example of why you have to be careful who is the mouthpiece of your movement. A lot of people do damage to their causes because of their inability to clearly articulate what they stand for. Hearing Umar speak on it in this interview really brought it into context. I'm not going to say that every black person should be against multiculturalism, but honestly he's right, if you're a black activist, you should be against multiculturalism.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    i do the same thing tbh.

BUT to his point, they have no problem advertising whatever vodka or media streaming services they are trying to pump out to folks, so why not brag about your philanthropic contributions with the same energy and effort.

Because ppl week ? on you for it and day you just don't it for publicity... Ppl are cynical in the face of positivity. Then them get mad you didn't donate to this cause but you donated to that cause... Blah blah blah
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    AP21 wrote: »
    i do the same thing tbh.

BUT to his point, they have no problem advertising whatever vodka or media streaming services they are trying to pump out to folks, so why not brag about your philanthropic contributions with the same energy and effort.

Because ppl week ? on you for it and day you just don't it for publicity... Ppl are cynical in the face of positivity. Then them get mad you didn't donate to this cause but you donated to that cause... Blah blah blah

To be fair, you promote new business ventures with the intention of making them successful. Puffy wanted Ciroc to be successful, so he had to put his name behind it to give it a chance. If he's creating a new charitable organization or something, then he might want to use the same strategy. However, if he's just giving money to an organization, there is no reason to publicize it in that manner.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    216atlran wrote: »
    I agree with this, Umar said he only needs two million to build this school. Somebody like master P or T.I. Could have this done over a million times already. Financial literacy is a big problem. I hate seeing us as economical ? .

The question that you have to ask yourselves is, "Why haven't monied blacks stepped up?" It's been over a year, but yet instill Dr. Johnson is $1.5 million dollars short of his goal. This ? is straight up shameful. Dr. Johnson should have gotten the money for both his schools within a month and had a sizable endowment for the both of them. Blacks will claim that we as a people need to do this and that to improve our situation, (often citing educating our children as one of the things needed to improve our condition,) now we have a brother that have a plan in place and the only thing he needs is the money. Again, why doesn't he have it?

I've come the conclusion that we as a people, we're just aren't serious and we're content with ? . We know that ? is bad and uncomfortable, but it wasn't like it was fifty years ago where we could be lynched with impunity and institutionalized racism was the law of the land. After all, we can use any water fountain that we want, eat lunch where ever we want, live among whites, date white women, and of course get those public sector jobs that good pay and benefits.

Yeah, we'll get upset, protest, threaten a boycott, or in extreme cases riot, talk about doing something for three or four days, then after about two to three weeks go back to our regularly scheduled ? . The cold part about is that come October 10th, among the throng of brothers that will be at the "Feel Good Disney Wish Upon a Star Attention Whorin' March, some wealthy brothers will be in attendance and in other to attend that dog and pony show and brothers would have supported hotels, restaurants, gas stations, bus companies, and air lines that are owned by members of the dominate society. If you ask me this some ass backwards ? . But when it comes to educating our youth, (something that we all admit needs to be done,) suddenly there's a lack of funds.

The wealthy black bourgeois needs to be shamed for their lack of support for Dr. Johnson's school and to the lesser extent black people on a whole. If Dr. Johnson can't get the money for his school, then I don't want to hear ? about racism, white supremacy, etc. Put of fighting that malevolent system is supporting our own institutions and if we're not willing to at a minimum do that, then there isn't ? we can say.
  • zzombie
    Options
    The problem with umar is that he needs more a transparent plan of action regarding the financial aspects of what he wants to do.

Rich people waste money but don't easily just give it away.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    The problem with umar is that he needs more a transparent plan of action regarding the financial aspects of what he wants to do.

True, and I'd need to see who he has behind the school too. I mean the stuff he talked about them teaching the is important, and I think normal schools do a poor job of imparting that knowledge. But what about the other stuff like language arts, math, science, and the other typical school subjects. They aren't the be all end all for everyone, but they are important especially for kids coming up who haven't decided what they want to do with their lives yet.
  • WiseKing
    WiseKing Members Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Options
    he made some good points
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    216atlran wrote: »
    I agree with this, Umar said he only needs two million to build this school. Somebody like master P or T.I. Could have this done over a million times already. Financial literacy is a big problem. I hate seeing us as economical ? .

The question that you have to ask yourselves is, "Why haven't monied blacks stepped up?" It's been over a year, but yet instill Dr. Johnson is $1.5 million dollars short of his goal. This ? is straight up shameful. Dr. Johnson should have gotten the money for both his schools within a month and had a sizable endowment for the both of them. Blacks will claim that we as a people need to do this and that to improve our situation, (often citing educating our children as one of the things needed to improve our condition,) now we have a brother that have a plan in place and the only thing he needs is the money. Again, why doesn't he have it?

I've come the conclusion that we as a people, we're just aren't serious and we're content with ? . We know that ? is bad and uncomfortable, but it wasn't like it was fifty years ago where we could be lynched with impunity and institutionalized racism was the law of the land. After all, we can use any water fountain that we want, eat lunch where ever we want, live among whites, date white women, and of course get those public sector jobs that good pay and benefits.

Yeah, we'll get upset, protest, threaten a boycott, or in extreme cases riot, talk about doing something for three or four days, then after about two to three weeks go back to our regularly scheduled ? . The cold part about is that come October 10th, among the throng of brothers that will be at the "Feel Good Disney Wish Upon a Star Attention Whorin' March, some wealthy brothers will be in attendance and in other to attend that dog and pony show and brothers would have supported hotels, restaurants, gas stations, bus companies, and air lines that are owned by members of the dominate society. If you ask me this some ass backwards ? . But when it comes to educating our youth, (something that we all admit needs to be done,) suddenly there's a lack of funds.

The wealthy black bourgeois needs to be shamed for their lack of support for Dr. Johnson's school and to the lesser extent black people on a whole. If Dr. Johnson can't get the money for his school, then I don't want to hear ? about racism, white supremacy, etc. Put of fighting that malevolent system is supporting our own institutions and if we're not willing to at a minimum do that, then there isn't ? we can say.

Excellent points. Just to add on. The issue here is that the MAJORITY OF BLACKS will not send their children to a school to that espouses the values that Umar is attempting to instill in the children that would attend.

The fear from those who can support is, they would be ostracizing or segregating themselves from White America. Which, in their minds means less opportunity therefore less money. We see the backlash BLM is getting and this isn't new. Blacks that look after Blacks FIRST are titled "militant", "racist", and "out of touch".

So, case and point. I don't see Magic Johnson supporting Umar when his son is flaming like Johnny Storm. I don't see Micheal Jordan supporting Umar when he is running around impregnating pink toes. Many of our financially abled Blacks as well as working class Blacks don't share Umar's ideology, opinions, vision and end goal for the Black community.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

That's bogus considering Rich people blindly give to charities all the time.

Furthermore, I don't see how much more transparent he needs to be. Umar has been public with what he would like to accomplish for over a year now. Anyone who wants to donate or involve themselves significantly could easily schedule a sit down with Umar and his team for detailed particulars. It appears you are suggesting Umar put up a detailed business plan, financials etc in an online .pdf. Who does that?
  • Kwan Dai
    Options
    Good interview.

Perhaps. I get really perturbed at folks who focus more on presentation rather then the actual issue, or situation at hand.

I personally don't see a difference in how Umar presented his opinion and views on TBC vs. any other venue I have heard him speak. I would like to see Blacks specifically Black Men stop acting like sissies because, another brother isn't wrapping up his views in a presentation that they don't like. Let's focus on what the end goal is. In Umar case the end goal has always been the health, and advancement of Blacks.

I

• zzombie
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

That's bogus considering Rich people blindly give to charities all the time.

Furthermore, I don't see how much more transparent he needs to be. Umar has been public with what he would like to accomplish for over a year now. Anyone who wants to donate or involve themselves significantly could easily schedule a sit down with Umar and his team for detailed particulars. It appears you are suggesting Umar put up a detailed business plan, financials etc in an online .pdf. Who does that?

Charities are a tax write offs so really when rich folks give to charities they are not just giving away Money.

When I say he needs a transparent plan I mean financial paper work projected cost analysis. Balance sheets , income statements. How is he going to pay the bills. What will be his operating budget???

For what umar wants to do he has to make that information more public.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Good interview.

Perhaps. I get really perturbed at folks who focus more on presentation rather then the actual issue, or situation at hand.

I personally don't see a difference in how Umar presented his opinion and views on TBC vs. any other venue I have heard him speak. I would like to see Blacks specifically Black Men stop acting like sissies because, another brother isn't wrapping up his views in a presentation that they don't like. Let's focus on what the end goal is. In Umar case the end goal has always been the health, and advancement of Blacks.

I

To focus on an issue, all parties involved must understand what that issue is. That's the point I'm making. A big part of the discussion in the interview was Umar clearing up the misconceptions people have of his point. So clearly, some people have misconstrued his stance. Some people will just disagree with you, and there as nothing you can do about that. But what you don't want is people to be against you because they don't quite understand where you stand. That's why presentation matters.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmmm, this interview had me thinking what would it look like if they had Irritated Genie on there ha.....

If they don't air the Paul Mooney one, I know they won't air that one either tho.....