Dear White People (2014)

Options
124»

Comments

• JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Yea, dope movie. Really seems like the IC is stuck in a high school state of mind sometimes reading the criticisms of this movie.

the bolded is funny.. because that comment comes off quite childish itself. U ever think its possible people simply didn't enjoy the movie the same way u did?? u do know that everyone don't like the same kinda films right?? or someone will watch the same film as u and not care for it, or take away the same things that u do. IC folks make me laugh ? on other folks opinions, JUST because they dont share your sentiments. that's the beauty of individualism bruh
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So basically it's middle class black college students of privilege and the type of racism they face, not necessarily the racism a have not real ? from the hood would face
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just saw this movie on netflix, here's my take:

The whole movie IMO is about how Blacks struggle with identity and social interactions with other Blacks because in White Society, we dont have the option of being who we WANT to be. In "white space" you are never an individual, you are a ROLE.

After reading some reviews of the movie, it seems that Sams character arc (played by Tessa Thompson) was the most polarizing and some even accuse the movie of cooning due to how her character ends up. I think I understood what Director Justin Simien was trying to convey, so heres my take:

Sam starts the movie as the loudest black voice on campus. Pro Black and in your face she is the de facto leader of all things progressively Black. With her winning the election as Head of House, she's primed to ensure that the concerns of Blacks are being heard and real change will be made.

However we see that this is a ROLE Sam is playing. Just as Troy was playing the ROLE of "Cool BLACK Guy" to the White Kids. Just as CoCo was playing the role of "Bourgie Barbie Black Girl". And Lionel? He was ostracized because he was a ? geeky Black kid, he didnt fit into any conventional role.

In reality? Sam is completely overworked. She's involved in pretty much every Pro Black cause around but...she's barely passing her classes. Her (white) father is sick with heart disease and she barely any time to check in with her mother and no time to visit. The reality is that Sam's a film nerd whose time would probably be much better spent actually making films, but because of a combination of:

1. Black voices being so suppressed at her school/society in general

and

2. The dilemma that Mulattos face in that they have to "choose sides"

..Sam has fully committed herself to the role of Angry Black College Liberal because that's the space that WHITE SOCIETY has shaped for her to be active and have her voice heard. And Sam feels she has to stay in character, even if it means being completely overwhelmed by extra curriculars. Even if it means keeping her white lover secret.

The ? of the movie finds Sam realizing she's completely neglected whats important (her family, her education, white boyfriend Gabe) because her role has gotten out of control. Even worse is that people (like love interest Reggie) have projected and pushed THEIR aspirations and THEIR goals onto her without ever stepping up to do it themselves or asking if she really wanted to do it in the first place (this is basically verified when, spoiler alert, its revealed
    Reggie sabotaged the Head of House race without Sams knowledge so Sam could win so she could push agendas for the Black Student Union
    ).

So Sam realizes that whats BEST FOR HER is stepping back from campus life and getting back to what really matters (for her its once again, family, film and Gabe). I don't think it means she doesn't care or will no longer be active about Black issues; she just now will do under her own terms.

So with that said, I can see how a lotta people took the wrong message given how complex the central character of the movie was.

Not to be honest, I didnt care for the White Boyfriend angle. I feel in a predominantly Black movie, the need to showcase Black Love and admirable Black Male Figures was important and what do you know, most of the Black Males in the movie were extremely flawed (Lionel has the most admirable and complete character arc but he was ? and I know how alot of yall feel about that) and all the Black relationships didnt last. Mind you, Justin Simien has no obligation do so, its his movie, his vision. I just would've liked to see any POC as Sam's love interest as opposed to "probably upper middle class, sensitive, artsy White Guy".

If all of that is true, then the film shouldn't have been titled "Dear White People."
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

The whole movie IMO is about how Blacks struggle with identity and social interactions with other Blacks because in White Society, we dont have the option of being who we WANT to be. In "white space" you are never an individual, you are a ROLE.

After reading some reviews of the movie, it seems that Sams character arc (played by Tessa Thompson) was the most polarizing and some even accuse the movie of cooning due to how her character ends up. I think I understood what Director Justin Simien was trying to convey, so heres my take:

Sam starts the movie as the loudest black voice on campus. Pro Black and in your face she is the de facto leader of all things progressively Black. With her winning the election as Head of House, she's primed to ensure that the concerns of Blacks are being heard and real change will be made.

However we see that this is a ROLE Sam is playing. Just as Troy was playing the ROLE of "Cool BLACK Guy" to the White Kids. Just as CoCo was playing the role of "Bourgie Barbie Black Girl". And Lionel? He was ostracized because he was a ? geeky Black kid, he didnt fit into any conventional role.

In reality? Sam is completely overworked. She's involved in pretty much every Pro Black cause around but...she's barely passing her classes. Her (white) father is sick with heart disease and she barely any time to check in with her mother and no time to visit. The reality is that Sam's a film nerd whose time would probably be much better spent actually making films, but because of a combination of:

and

..Sam has fully committed herself to the role of Angry Black College Liberal because that's the space that WHITE SOCIETY has shaped for her to be active and have her voice heard. And Sam feels she has to stay in character, even if it means being completely overwhelmed by extra curriculars. Even if it means keeping her white lover secret.

The ? of the movie finds Sam realizing she's completely neglected whats important (her family, her education, white boyfriend Gabe) because her role has gotten out of control. Even worse is that people (like love interest Reggie) have projected and pushed THEIR aspirations and THEIR goals onto her without ever stepping up to do it themselves or asking if she really wanted to do it in the first place (this is basically verified when, spoiler alert, its revealed
    Reggie sabotaged the Head of House race without Sams knowledge so Sam could win so she could push agendas for the Black Student Union
    ).

So Sam realizes that whats BEST FOR HER is stepping back from campus life and getting back to what really matters (for her its once again, family, film and Gabe). I don't think it means she doesn't care or will no longer be active about Black issues; she just now will do under her own terms.

So with that said, I can see how a lotta people took the wrong message given how complex the central character of the movie was.

Not to be honest, I didnt care for the White Boyfriend angle. I feel in a predominantly Black movie, the need to showcase Black Love and admirable Black Male Figures was important and what do you know, most of the Black Males in the movie were extremely flawed (Lionel has the most admirable and complete character arc but he was ? and I know how alot of yall feel about that) and all the Black relationships didnt last. Mind you, Justin Simien has no obligation do so, its his movie, his vision. I just would've liked to see any POC as Sam's love interest as opposed to "probably upper middle class, sensitive, artsy White Guy".

If all of that is true, then the film shouldn't have been titled "Dear White People."

I believe Justin Simien (the director and writer behind the film) has gone on record as saying that a big part of the name was to "get peoples attention".

The movie does touch upon the many racist micro-transgressions that Black people endure from Whites (especially in White dominated institutions of higher learning) , even when they're educated and "dont mean any harm". That still is a big part of the movie.

But the biggest theme imo was how racism isnt just this external barrier that only exists in socioeconomic form. It has a huge hand in shaping the identity of American Blacks.

Lastly, I gotta say I now have a huge crush on Tessa Thompson. She fine.

stock-photo-los-angeles-ca-october-tessa-thompson-at-the-los-angeles-premiere-of-interstellar-at-234829039.jpg

She resembles pretty much every Black/Mixed Woman ive had crushes on but somehow ? up with 4gk3CmS.png

• A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She wanna be Lisa Bonet so bad
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »
    focus wrote: »
    Yea, dope movie. Really seems like the IC is stuck in a high school state of mind sometimes reading the criticisms of this movie.

the bolded is funny.. because that comment comes off quite childish itself. U ever think its possible people simply didn't enjoy the movie the same way u did?? u do know that everyone don't like the same kinda films right?? or someone will watch the same film as u and not care for it, or take away the same things that u do. IC folks make me laugh ? on other folks opinions, JUST because they dont share your sentiments. that's the beauty of individualism bruh

Yea, well...opinions are like ? ...
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options

and

).

Maybe...but they took it from a radio show the mixed chick did at school when she was in fake mitant mode. The movie was about the characters finding their black identity so the title was fitting
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and

).

Maybe...but they took it from a radio show the mixed chick did at school when she was in fake mitant mode. The movie was about the characters finding their black identity so the title was fitting

Big mistake either way.

The movie would've probably done better if it was centered more around the premise of the title.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This movie could have been a lot better. It turned into some ? as I watched it. It tried to play the ? agenda in there and it was more or less false advertising from the trailor and the actual movie itself. I would grade it a D.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If y'all remember correctly there was satire vids of Dear White People where blacks would say dear white people and make fun of how whites stereotype all blacks. Basically the movie should have been something like those vids
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    texas409 wrote: »
    If y'all remember correctly there was satire vids of Dear White People where blacks would say dear white people and make fun of how whites stereotype all blacks. Basically the movie should have been something like those vids

this it was bait and switch.. it definitely didnt match the expectations
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

This did happen in the movie tho
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This did happen in the movie tho

Yeah but we thought the movie would be centered around that...false advertising
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie was extreme garbage..
    Very dissappointing...
    It's for limp wristed faux militant posers.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Damn i thought you would like it @Brother_Five
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jus turnt that ? off. smmfh
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn i thought you would like it @Brother_Five

Wait...
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

and

).

I believe Justin Simien (the director and writer behind the film) has gone on record as saying that a big part of the name was to "get peoples attention".

The movie does touch upon the many racist micro-transgressions that Black people endure from Whites (especially in White dominated institutions of higher learning) , even when they're educated and "dont mean any harm". That still is a big part of the movie.

But the biggest theme imo was how racism isnt just this external barrier that only exists in socioeconomic form. It has a huge hand in shaping the identity of American Blacks.

Lastly, I gotta say I now have a huge crush on Tessa Thompson. She fine.

stock-photo-los-angeles-ca-october-tessa-thompson-at-the-los-angeles-premiere-of-interstellar-at-234829039.jpg

She resembles pretty much every Black/Mixed Woman ive had crushes on but somehow ? up with 4gk3CmS.png

i think Teyonah Paris looked better

teyonah-parris-elle-s-21st-annual-women-in-hollywood-celebration-02.jpg

teyonah-parris-premiere-straight-outta-compton-01.jpg

Teyonah+Parris+Arrivals+66th+Annual+Primetime+sKP-2XgHdwPl.jpg