Video:So it apparently takes 9 Stockton,Cali pigs to arrest 1 black teenage male for "jaywalking"...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dk6bXdBdVs

http://mic.com/articles/125471/video-shows-9-police-officers-beating-a-teen-after-jaywalking
Video Shows 9 Police Officers Beating a Teen After Jaywalking

At 6:52 a.m. Tuesday, a 16-year-old in Stockton, California, was told to stop walking in the street by a law enforcement officer, according to the Stockton Police Department. After a verbal altercation between the two, the teenager was beaten, thrown to the ground and arrested by nine officers. The ? of the interaction was caught on camera.

SPD's account of the incident involves the teenager using obscene language toward the officer and refusing to leave the bus lane he was walking in, at which point the officer tried to apprehend the young man.

"He was still in the bus lane, so he was actually trespassing. That's why the officer went over there to legally detain him," SPD information officer Joe Silva told Mic. When the teen resisted, according to Silva, the officer pushed back and the pair struggled over the officer's baton. This part of the incident cannot be seen in the footage available.

As the situation escalates, a passerby can be heard yelling, "It's a ? kid! Get off him, he's been jaywalking. Leave him alone, he didn't do anything wrong." She then repeatedly yells, "It's a ? kid!"

The officer calls for backup, and can be seen arriving in the video to detain the unarmed teenager. They tackle him to the ground, handcuff him and take him away while he cries.

Silva told Mic the teen was "cited to his mother for resisting arrest and for the Stockton municipal code for trespassing." The teen will appear in juvenile court to face the charges.

Silva added that . However, because the video begins after the officer has already physically engaged with the teen, it's unclear how the interaction actually began. But based on the footage available and the onlookers' response to the incident, it seems possible there were other factors at play.

"The kid got stopped for 'jaywalking' when he barely stepped out of the bus he was 2 feet away from the sidewalk when the cop stopped him for 'jaywalking,'" Edgar Avendaño, who witnessed and recorded the incident, wrote in a Facebook post with the video. "The cop was telling him to take a [seat] but the teen kept walking to his bus but the cop kept grabbing his arm & the kid took off the cop's hand off his arm so the cop took out his baton & that's when I started recording."

However, Silva suggested, so far, the officers are not internally suspected of wrongdoing. "Everything is under review," he explained. "The preliminary investigation shows they were in the right."

Avendaño posted the video to Facebook shortly after the incident. At the time of publication, it had over half a million views.

Racially motivated police brutality has become a major issue across the United States, extending far beyond the high-profile cases of black men and boys being killed by officers. Black people killed by police are more than twice as likely to be unarmed as white people who die by police force. According to an African American Policy Forum study, black women are often the brunt of police brutality; 53.4% of all the women police stopped in New York in 2013 were black, compared with 13.4% who were white.

And like the teen in the video, black children have often been the target of police brutality. Ten-year-old Taye Montgomery was pepper-sprayed while peacefully protesting with his mother at a rally in Minneapolis in May. In response, Montgomery simply said, "At least I was maced and not shot."

Comments

• D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what the ? is this ? ? ???

WhatAboutBlackOnBlackCrime???
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest. If I was there, I would've been dead for taking a bullet for that kid trying to knock that mexicracker out.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He clearly wasn't following the rules of walking off the bus like anyone normally would walk off of and disobeyed getting to the sidewalk rule oh wait...
  • jaymafia
    jaymafia Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    Lmaoooo ! Love it!
  • jaymafia
    jaymafia Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest. If I was there, I would've been dead for taking a bullet for that kid trying to knock that mexicracker out.

Yea sure, you would have done absolutely nothing, stop trying to impress people on this forum.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "STOP RESISTING!"

the new mating call of the Wild Pig
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jaymafia wrote: »
    Lmaoooo ! Love it!

[Img]http://img.pandawhale.com/post-30754-shut-up-? -gif-Ice-Cube-NWA-NQVZ.gif[/img]
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/09/17/caught-on-video-stockton-teens-detainment-raises-questions-over-police-use-of-force/
    CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Stockton Teen’s Detainment Raises Questions Over Police Use Of Force

STOCKTON (CBS13) — A police confrontation with a teen goes viral after video shows the encounter starting with one Stockton Police officer trying to arrest the suspect then turns into nine officers taking him down.

Emilio Mayfield, 16, was on his way to school when he says he had a confrontation with a Stockton Police officer.

Police say Mayfield broke two laws, but Mayfield’s supporters say police used excessive force.

The teen says he was trying to catch the bus to school when he was stopped by an officer.

“I see myself as a great young man, successful in school,” he said.

Police say Mayfield was standing where he was not supposed to be—in a bus lane.

Another passenger recorded the video of the teen’s struggle with the officer. The cop called for backup and nine additional officers came.

“Our officer, for safety reasons, went over to tell the person to get out of the lane and go to the sidewalk,” said police spokesman Joe Silva. “The kid started to use obscene language at the officer and said ‘I don’t have to listen to you’ and refused to get out of the lane.”

Mayfield and his family met with Stockton NAACP president Bobby Bivens about Mayfield’s altercation with police.

“I feel traumatized. I was beaten and slammed on the floor,” he said.

Stockton Police say the teen was not arrested for jaywalking. Instead, he was detained and cited for walking in the designated bus lane.

“As you can see in the video, our officer had his baton out, but the suspect was also holding onto baton,” Silva said. “As law enforcement officers, we cannot and will not allow anyone to take our weapons.”

But Bivens says the officer used unnecessary force on Mayfield.

“The behavior of the officer was totally out of line. There’s no reason for him to attack this young man as he did,” he said.

Protesters showed up at the bus depot in support of Mayfield. He still needs to appear before juvenile court to respond to his two citations—police say they cited him for resisting arrest and trespassing.

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://m.recordnet.com/article/20150917/NEWS/150919693
    Video goes viral; police review arrest

STOCKTON — A viral video that captured the forceful arrest of a 16-year-old boy outside a Stockton bus station earlier this week generated widespread scrutiny and prompted protestors to demonstrate against the Stockton Police Department on Thursday afternoon.

The 2-minute, 26-second video, which was filmed by a bystander Tuesday morning and had been widely disseminated by Thursday, was the No. 1 trending topic on Facebook late Thursday afternoon. The video shows officers detaining and then arresting a boy who authorities said refused an officer’s instructions to stop walking in a bus-only lane outside the San Joaquin Regional Transit District station in downtown Stockton.

“For safety reasons, the officer went over to tell the kid to get out of the bus lane, and the kid started using profane language, telling the officer he didn’t have to listen to him,” said Officer Joe Silva, a spokesman for the Stockton Police Department. “The kid continued to walk in the lane, so the officer went over there to legally detain him, and at that time there was a scuffle.”

When the video begins, the officer is leaning over the boy and using his baton to push down on his legs, which are raised in a defensive position. At one point during the struggle, the boy places his hands on an officer’s baton and says, “Get the (expletive) off me.”

The officer appears to strike the boy at least once and possibly twice with the baton while wrestling the weapon away from him. The boy then grasps the left side of his face. The baton strike elicited an angry response from a woman who witnessed the incident and shouted at the officer throughout the video.

“It’s a kid,” she said. “Get the (expletive) off him. It’s a (expletive) kid. It’s a (expletive) kid. You’re a (expletive) adult. What’s wrong with you?”

Kim Christian, who witnessed the incident, and other critics allege that it is an example of excessive force.

“I was there,” Christian said. “I’m just saying this is a little beyond. I understand protect and serve, but he didn’t deserve to get what he got. It didn’t have to happen like that, not over no damn jaywalking involving a minor. He got hit with the baton and all kinds of stuff.”

• Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so this happened in the early morning before school? sheesh...
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/09/17/video-shows-clash-between-officer-teen-calif/72376694/
    Video shows clash between officer, teen in Calif.

Video is circulating on the Internet that appears to show a Stockton, Calif., police officer roughing up a black male teen for what social media commenters say was jaywalking.

Later in the video, up to nine officers are seen restraining the teen, who appears to be crying.

A spokesman for the police department said, however, that the 16-year-old boy was doing more than jaywalking in the Tuesday morning incident, but walking in a bus-only lane reserved for buses to enter a depot and drop off passengers. The teen refused to move when the officer ordered him to move and began using expletives against the officer and telling him he would not move, Officer Joe Silva, public information officer for the agency, told USA TODAY.

Further exacerbating the situation was that the teen grabbed the officer's baton and nearly gained control of it, Silva said. The escalation prompted the officer to call for backup, according to Silva.

"Our officer then used weapon-retention technique -- he was able to get his baton back," Silva said. "If people would just comply with the lawful orders of law enforcement officers and if they didn't try to grab or take away weapons, force would never have to be used."

The family of the teen has filed a formal complaint against the department, Silva said. The teen is not being identified because he is a juvenile, Silva said.

A preliminary investigation appears to show that the officer, who the department did not name, acted correctly, Silva said.

The incident comes at a time when tensions between police agencies and constituents, especially black constituents, have been high and clashes between law enforcement and black males appear to make news on a regular basis.

In the video, a woman can be heard shouting at police to stop roughing up the teen, and saying over and over, "that's a kid!"

Reaction to the incident on the police department’s Facebook page was angry.

“You people are disgusting and need to learn how to respect the community you ‘serve,’ “ wrote Brandon Adams of La Habra Calif. “Go back to the sand box and bully some 3rd graders …. Punks!!!!!!”

“You are disgusting!” wrote John Zolis of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. “A 16 year old kid jay walking deserves this? Exactly why police are hated!”

The teen was cited for trespassing, for blocking the bus lane, and for resisting arrest, Silva said.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/09/17/caught-on-video-stockton-teens-detainment-raises-questions-over-police-use-of-force/
    CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Stockton Teen’s Detainment Raises Questions Over Police Use Of Force

STOCKTON (CBS13) — A police confrontation with a teen goes viral after video shows the encounter starting with one Stockton Police officer trying to arrest the suspect then turns into nine officers taking him down.

Emilio Mayfield, 16, was on his way to school when he says he had a confrontation with a Stockton Police officer.

Police say Mayfield broke two laws, but Mayfield’s supporters say police used excessive force.

The teen says he was trying to catch the bus to school when he was stopped by an officer.

“I see myself as a great young man, successful in school,” he said.

Police say Mayfield was standing where he was not supposed to be—in a bus lane.

Another passenger recorded the video of the teen’s struggle with the officer. The cop called for backup and nine additional officers came.

“Our officer, for safety reasons, went over to tell the person to get out of the lane and go to the sidewalk,” said police spokesman Joe Silva. “The kid started to use obscene language at the officer and said ‘I don’t have to listen to you’ and refused to get out of the lane.”

Mayfield and his family met with Stockton NAACP president Bobby Bivens about Mayfield’s altercation with police.

“I feel traumatized. I was beaten and slammed on the floor,” he said.

Stockton Police say the teen was not arrested for jaywalking. Instead, he was detained and cited for walking in the designated bus lane.

“As you can see in the video, our officer had his baton out, but the suspect was also holding onto baton,” Silva said. “As law enforcement officers, we cannot and will not allow anyone to take our weapons.”

But Bivens says the officer used unnecessary force on Mayfield.

“The behavior of the officer was totally out of line. There’s no reason for him to attack this young man as he did,” he said.

Protesters showed up at the bus depot in support of Mayfield. He still needs to appear before juvenile court to respond to his two citations—police say they cited him for resisting arrest and trespassing.

This kid was attacked by the police in his way to school ...

10. 10. 15 im there
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    so this happened in the early morning before school? sheesh...

Obviously he was committing a crime by getting off the bus what reason would he have to get off? School? Ha too logical.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's up with Mexicans trying to be white?