Low carb / keto : what are your go to foods?

Options
LUClEN
LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been doing low carb for a few weeks now to lose some weight I put on while on prednisone

Mostly eating cashews, almonds, cottage cheese, Sardines, tuna, chicken, steak and ground turkey

I know some dudes here ? with keto, any new foods you'd suggest to add to the diet? I'm getting tired of eating the same things everyday

Comments

• KLICHE
    KLICHE Members Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Searched for a thread on this as only this week started eating much much less carbs. Cut out bread so far and the rice I'd eat.
    Pretty start my day with eggs and steamed vegetables. And any meat and vege throughout the day and dinner. Was not fat before but not lean, just skinny and do some weights. But in just a week say, I can already see my face thinned out alot and my body looking more cut than ever before. Tried it once for a week few months back but gave up due to headaches withdrawals etc

This time more focused. Findiing little hard to sleep. And eyes look like I'm on amphetamines lol And just crazy looking
  • LUClEN
    Options
    I only eat about 20-30 g of carbs a day :/

ish is tough
    most of my food is cooked meat
  • KLICHE
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

ish is tough

Yeah I'd probably be getting somewhere close to the same. Minimal carbs from veges, fruit, nuts.

Do you do the recommended once a week or something where you have more carbs than usual to shock and trick the body??? Heard thhat doing it daily longterm not good ass body gets used to it???

• LUClEN
    Options
    KLICHE wrote: »

ish is tough

Yeah I'd probably be getting somewhere close to the same. Minimal carbs from veges, fruit, nuts.

Do you do the recommended once a week or something where you have more carbs than usual to shock and trick the body??? Heard thhat doing it daily longterm not good ass body gets used to it???

Long term keto seems to be really bad for the body. Without those carb days people can actually lose their ability to digest them
  • KLICHE
    Options

ish is tough

Long term keto seems to be really bad for the body. Without those carb days people can actually lose their ability to digest them

How long you been on low carb????

Read that even with regular sized bananas you get approx 23g or carbs with them I eat a few each day.
  • LUClEN
    Options

ish is tough

How long you been on low carb????

Read that even with regular sized bananas you get approx 23g or carbs with them I eat a few each day.

I've been doing carb backloading for about 4 months now
    Essentially only eating carbs post work out

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bout to start eating more lentils. I hear they're packed with protein. Not sure if that had anything to do with the actual thread, but I felt the need to share that.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Lentils have a lot of proteins but they also have carbs in them

If your body has no issues with carbs they are great
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    props to whoever can do a keto diet for more than a couple of months. That ? takes dedication.
  • KLICHE
    Options
    I'm done!! LOL

Caught the flu real bad, been in bed for 4 days just recovering from chest and sinus infection, but prior just like a day or 2 started getting back on the rice, brown rice as my carb intake. Without the carbs or going to barely little, can't do it. After a few days just feel like cannot perform as well with general chores even
  • LUClEN
    Options
    That's called carb flu, I get it too
    Coffee keeps me going on those days

It's temporary though
    Eventually the body adapts and you no longer feel that fatigue and brain fog
  • Bookworm
    Bookworm Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In order to avoid the headaches and minimize carb flu you have to eat a lot of fat. Carb flu generally lasts less than a week but you may feel fatigued during vigorous activity until you're keto-adapted. I became keto-adapted in about a month and the fatigue during workouts was gone.
  • Bookworm
    Bookworm Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My go to fat sources are butter, coconut oil, olive oil and heavy cream & mayo. There are hundreds of recipe sites for keto/ low carb. Just google them. One of my favorites is Cut the Wheat, Ditch the Sugar.