Black Man’s ‘#Respect’ Selfie With Cop...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.mediaite.com/online/black-mans-respect-selfie-with-cop-goes-viral/
Amidst all the recent stories of tension between police officers and minority populations, there’s still the occasional viral story showing that there’s still some good in the world, and that the negative treatment of minorities is not uniform.

This is one of them.

Grag Barnes decided to document his recent experience with a white cop who pulled him over for speeding, which later became a post on Facebook. The message explains that the encounter occurred with complete respect for one another, with the cop agreeing to take a selfie with Barnes before going their separate ways.

“He was doing his job, and I had made a mistake in trying to hurry home to get started moving that lead to our path’s crossing,” Barnes wrote. “In the end we both thanked each other for our mutual displays of respect and agreed to take a ‘selfie’ together to help tell our story.”

Barnes used the rest of his message to remind people that there is no single occupation made up entirely of bad eggs, and that everyone must remember to respect each other more. His post has now been shared over 425,000 times, and has seen significant traction on Twitter with the hashtag “#Respect.”

Barnes also posted a follow-up message, where he thanked everyone who appreciated his photo and said that “together, we, the only race that matters, the human race, can all make this world a better place than we found it.”

Screen-Shot-2015-09-22-at-3.49.34-PM.png

tumblr_inline_nnmvjy3Sdx1rvlep6_500.gif

See everybody if we all join hands and sing kumbaya.. All will be right in the world.. And black folks won't have to worry about being racially profiled or worried about being unjustly killed anymore...

Comments

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What a ?

Now here's the layers in this issue:

1) If you DO treat mundane traffic stops just as such, most of the time you will go home clean n easy. If you treat it like 'here comes the ? , this is my ? the police moment', u increase your odds of becoming a statistic

HOWEVER

Thats advice and a conversation for BEHIND closed doors, amongst US, not paraded in public with the 'i love white people' face.

And his wording of 'lets treat ourselves with respect so we can gain it' makes my skin crawl. You dont have to EARN not dying over petty offenses

ALSO, the notion that WE have to get out in front of this and mend these fences, like its a mediation, like both of ua are,equally wrong (cops and victims) also infuriates me
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ideally, something like that should be a good thing. The problem is the racist ass cops and their supporters will either ignore this or use him as an example of the "good ? ."
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let me know how it goes when he's switching lanes while having his signal on and is pulled over for switching lanes without having hi signal on.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Here we go again...

The general public does not get paid to be sociable and this guy fully admits that he broke the law.
    What happens when you know you have done nothing wrong? What then?

Kinda hard to show respect to someone when they show no integrity.

And thats where the ? problem lies.
    This.

Dude is so conditioned by police misconduct that he's grateful cuz the cop behaved

Lowered expectations

I see this all the time , "at least he aint get shot..."
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would love to see this ? explain why no white guy in history has ever gotten a speeding ticket and felt the need to take a selfie with the cop and talk about how great it was he didn't get killed, falsely imprisoned or his ass kicked.
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The tone of this thread is dismaying. Everyone should be respectful and police abuse will stop. #Respect #AllLivesMatter #CopsAreOurFriends #StopBlackonBlackcrime #RIPCarlWinslow

photo.jpg
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cliffnotes: Thank ? I ain't die...
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »
    lamont.gif

....The part where Lamont does the splits while shuffling at the same damn time gets me every time....LMAOOOOOO!!!...
  • ChillaDaGawd
    ChillaDaGawd Members Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MzKB wrote: »
    lamont.gif

When Lamont do the splits it reminds me of that one dude who was roasting Westside Lu saying that's how he gets his tightass pants on every day
  • sideon1984
    sideon1984 Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Like Corey Holcomb once said "he looks like a dude you could steal on and hang with the same day".